Food Allergy

Pregnant with #2 - should I avoid DS's allergy foods?

I've done some digging online and finding conflicting information.  I plan on asking the OB when I see her in a few weeks and maybe seeing what DS's allergist has to say (although I'm not sure she would advise me on what to do while pregnant).

DS is allergic to peanuts, almonds and eggs (but has eggs baked into things just fine).  The peanut is more pronounced than the almond.  

I'm curious if those of you who have more than one LO, did you avoid known allergic foods in your subsequent pregnancies?  I don't mind the egg (I couldn't stomach them during DS's pregnancy), can live without peanut butter but really LOVE almonds as a healthy snack to maintain energy throughout the day.  Obviously we keep these under lock and key and only have them when he's sleeping or napping anyway.  I'm only 4 - 5 weeks for now and have avoided so far but just curious what your thoughts/experiences are.

Re: Pregnant with #2 - should I avoid DS's allergy foods?

• DD is allergic to peanuts - we are a completely peanut/nut free house and don't eat peanuts/nut at work either.

That said, I'm avoiding them while pregnant. I don't want to risk kissing DD and giving her a reaction.

Plus, for me personally - I ate peanut butter and peanut products while pregnant with DD and she still has an allergy. My brother was allergic but outgrew his so some of ours comes genetically.

• DD's allergist has me cutting dairy( DD's allergy which she has since outgrown)  out of my diet the last month of my pregnancy (I'm doing 1 1/2 in case DS comes early like DD did) so the dairy will be out of my system when DS is born. We'll slowly start integrating dairy back into my diet to see how he tolerates it. She didn't have me avoid dairy during the pregnancy though.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • here is a link to guidelines for the management of food allergies - it is a super long document, but section 5.3 is devoted to the prevention of food allergies.  it is not recommended to avoid allergens during pregnancy because there is insufficient evidence that it changes outcomes.  however, there is very limited evidence on this topic, and it is largely based on expert opinion.  the article is intended for medical professionals, just as a warning...

https://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091-6749(10)01566-6/fulltext#sec6.3

the following is a more condensed version of the guidelines intended for patients/families and not medical professionals:

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/foodAllergy/clinical/Documents/FAguidelinesPatient.pdf 

DS1 10/5/09 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks all, very helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"