Preemies

will you take your preemie to take pictures with Santa?

My little guy hasn't gone anywhere but either home or grandma's house yet. When we left the NICU they said don't take him to stores or anything until April-May because of RSV season. Im curious of how many of you will take your preemies to get pictures done with Santa. I really really want LO to get his picture done on Santa's lap with his big brother.

I think in my situation it might be ok but I think I'll still have to talk DH into doing it. My local garden center has an amazing Santa set up every year. It's not as busy as a mall santa because it's a garden center....I don't know if many people know they do it there. Anyways, the first day of their santa pictures they have a big Santa arriving thing where he comes in on a fire truck so everyone goes outside to greet him then goes inside to take pictures. I was thinking we would take the kids and while DH is outside watching Santa come in on the fire truck with DS1 and all of the other children I would stay inside with LO and get in line first so when Santa comes in I'd get my kids pics taken and get out of there right away. Of course I'd keep him covered up in his carrier until its time to take the pictures.

My husband doesn't think we should risk it by going at all. I'd be heartbroken if we don't do it....but I'd be WAY more heartbroken if LO gets sick from going. I'm curious what others will do. Will you take your LO?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: will you take your preemie to take pictures with Santa?

• We did and it turned out fine.  Went to the mall on a weekday.  Was it a risk?  Yes a small one but they weren't living in a bubble.  Otherwise we didn't go out very often during the winter.
  • We didn't do Santa for ds1 until last year, age 2. Before that, we felt the experience would be for us and not him and we thought it should be about him. That being said, ds2 won't get any Santa pictures for at least a year. Rsv wouldn't deter us. They have to go to daycare, so...
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DD won't be getting Santa pics unless dh dresses up for them. I'm highly paranoid about rsv and would be even if she had been ft due to nearly losing my sister to it 18 yrs ago. Fortunately we qualified for synagis, but going through the experience with my sister I can't bring myself to risk it with any unnecessary outings.
  • We did not for her first holiday, last year, She was 5 months old at Christmas and it wasn't worth the risk to us (we were also told to stay away from crowds, etc). I'm undecided on doing it this year.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• I hadn't even thought about it yet to be honest!  I would love to get pics with Santa so probably, and I don't want DS growing up in a bubble. 

He actually has his first cold right now :-(  I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later, but like DH says, it will only make his immune system stronger.  Plus in December he will be 10 months (8 adjusted)...if he was a newborn I would definitely not bring him. 

IMG_0293

Mr. & Mrs. 10/2/10 | Dx w/PCOS March 2011
    BFP - 7/25/11 | EDD 4/3/12 | C-section 2/7/12 @ 32 weeks 
    BFP - 1/07/14 | EDD 9/20/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • It's not worth the risk to me, we will not be doing it.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • We are a Jewish family so it is a moot issue but I do not understand the mentality of dressing an infant in uncomfortable clothes, making them wait in a long line for an unreasonable period of time and then placing them in a stranger's lap all for the sake of a photo op.
    TTC since 3-08 IVF # 1 Dec 2011 BFP DD born at 31 weeks 6-24-12

FET #1 Dec 2013 BFN

FET # 2 Feb 2014 BFN

No more frosties

IVF #2. September 2014

PGD yielded 2 perfect 5d blasts

SET November 9, 2014
    Nov 23, 2014. Another BFN

Not sure where to go from here.

• imageMoFree:
    We are a Jewish family so it is a moot issue but I do not understand the mentality of dressing an infant in uncomfortable clothes, making them wait in a long line for an unreasonable period of time and then placing them in a stranger's lap all for the sake of a photo op.

We are Christian and I feel the same way. This plus RSV made it easy to stay home last year and we will likely stay home this year and any other year until DD asks to go see Santa.

But I know lots of preemie moms who did take their LOs during the first winter because the pics were important to them. So do what you are comfortable with but if you go, choose a weekday and get there early so you can be a quick as possible. 

• we will likely do them but we will go first thing in the morning during a week day when there is no line and get in and out of the mall as quickly as possible. 
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• no, our doctor said to avoid indoor public places like stores and malls. He even specifically said "Don't go see Santa". It's a bummer bc I would love to get the pictures, but it's not worth the risk to me. There's always next year!
  • I won't be. My preemies will only be 9 weeks (3.5weeks adj) at the beginning of December and I wouldn't feel comfortable taking them out in public like that. The nurses are saying to stay away from large crowds, so we will.

• No, definitely not.  Though I may just have DH dress up as Santa :)
  • I have been thinking about this lately too. Sadly no we will not take the twins. I figure it is more for me at this point than for them so it is not worth the risk. Besides the santas around her make 3 figures so they are crazy busy which means more germs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly, I think it depends also on the child how big the risk is. My little girl has bpd luckily not severe now and we were on oxygen from February thru July. It is always concerning when a preemie gets a cold, but even more so is there are underlying lung issues.

I've never been that impressed with any mall Santas, but PP suggestion to have DH dress up is a great idea! I think I'm going to go online right now to look for a costume!
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"