Adoption

Foster care after baby

Hello all,

I used to be active on here when we first were licensed to be foster parents. We have since had a son of our own who has some minor medical issues that do require frequent trips to the doctors. My husband & I are debating whether to continue with foster care as we want to be able to provide a stable environment for a foster child and we are unsure if that is doable with our son's needs. Our son is 4 months old and we are licensed for ages birth-4. Do you think there is an age/sex that would be a better fit than another? We are thinking possibly a 2 or 3 year old girl may be better? Any one have any experience in this situation? 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

image image 

Re: Foster care after baby

• No direct experience, but I am a SW in MA.  Did you have children placed with you once you were licensed? Are there any rules in your state about this? I know in our state, I think to be a new foster parent, if you are pregnant or have a newborn, they want that child to be 1 before you foster. 

If there are no specific rules, it may just be what you think you can handle.  If you are bringing DD to a lot of appt.s, do you have "help"? Someone who could watch an older toddler so they are not being carted around?  What if the foster children have multiple appointments too?  I have seen foster parents that have new babies, and they do a great job with the foster children.  They are just used to being on the go all the time and taking care of little ones.  For some, it is overwhelming.  Talk with your DH and family and go with your gut about what you can handle.

Adoption Blog Updated 2/15
  • I would wait, I mean it when I say you should enjoy this time with your son. Foster care is so time consuming and once you take a placement, you are committed for a while. I would probably wait until he was 1218 months and then take younger than him. If It were me :
    Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMayDayGirl:
    I would wait, I mean it when I say you should enjoy this time with your son. Foster care is so time consuming and once you take a placement, you are committed for a while. I would probably wait until he was 1218 months and then take younger than him. If It were me :

Ditto This. The time an appointments needed for foster kids is a lot. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Sorryyou have a DS and I said DD. coffee hadn't kicked in yet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"