Food Allergy

Scratch testing at 3 months?

My daughter was scratch tested this morning and everything was negative. Is that reliable at all? I refused the blood draw for now. Her only symptom is GI, so she said its possible that the skin test wouldnt react. She told me to cut chicken and rice. So I'm down to turkey I hope JennieO is safe potato chips, and apples.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Scratch testing at 3 months?

• Gosh, I'm really sorry.  My understanding is that it is less predictable in very young children.  My pedi said he wouldn't blood test even until 1 year but consented at 10 months b/c it appeared we had some drug allergies too (we didn't).  C gets scratches every 6 months, so I'd follow up in 6 or 12 months and ask for a re-test if you're still having problems. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We were tested at 4 months and her dairy allergy showed up.  At 9 months (last week) she was positive for eggs and peanuts which she was not tested for at 4 months.

I would try eliminating the top 8 (have you already?) and see what that gives you.  Sorry!  I felt like DD was allergic to more than I could handle (and I was right) so I gave up BF and went to Alimentum.  I'm not saying that would be a good fit for you.  But it was good for us because she is so much happier and more comfortable now.

ETA:  Wait - what type of oil is the chips fried in?  I thought vegetable oil was Soybean oil. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DD2 had a scratch test and blood test at 5 months. She tested negative to everything except for cats and cashews. It makes sense an MSPI baby would test negative for dairy/soy b/c it's an intolerance vs an allergy. Allergy tests don't work for intolerances. (Our pedi wanted to have DD2 tested b/c DD1 has food allergies and DD2 obviously was sensitive to things in my diet. She wanted to see if her MSPI was an intolerance vs an allergy and she wanted to test her for nuts b/c DD2's eczema cleared up once I cut nuts from my diet). 
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • The chips are veg oil, but it says cottonseed or palm oil. The allergist said if there's blood, it's more likely an allergy than an intolerance. But I wasn't really confident in her evaluation anyways. I basically suggested different things and she went with it. Grr.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS #1 has severe egg & dairy allergies (outgrew peanut). I cut out egg, dairy, and peanuts while nursing DS #2 because he seemed sensitive to it (blood in stool, eczema). We did skin & blood tests for DS #2 when he was 10 or 11 months old, and everything came back negative, so I introduced those foods back into my diet but was hesitant to feed them directly to him because I was nervous. He did fine with dairy, which I introduced at 16 months or so. We don't keep eggs in the house because that's DS #1's worst allergy, so I didn't get around to giving those to him. When DS #1 passed his peanut challenge this past June, we decided it was a good time to give DS #2 a little bit to see how he did. He had an anaphylactic reaction and I had to give him an EpiPen (which luckily we had because of his older brother), call an ambulance, the whole 9 yards. We of course followed up with the allergist, and tests came back positive for egg, garlic, and through the roof for peanuts.

So, bottom line, tests can be kind of unreliable when they're this young. And I will be a nervous wreck introducing anything to DS #3. Tongue Tied Good luck to you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"