Maryland Babies

&*$#ing Subway

I really need to stop my occassional morning stops at Subway for breakfast.  Clearly no good can come of it.

So this morning I walk in and the woman behind the counter starts making my eggwhite and cheese flatbread.  As she's doing her thing, she asks me when I'm due.

Me (smiling):  "I'm about six months - due in early February."

Her (all concerned looking):  "February??!  Is it twins??"

Me (forced smile):  "No, just one.  You know, though, that's not the nicest thing to say to a pregnant woman."

But she wouldn't freaking let it drop!!  As she's doling out my lettuce, tomato and pickles she pushes onward:

Her:  "So, February, huh?  And not twins?  That must be one huge baby."

Dude.  F$#% you.

Me:  "You know what?  Here's a really good rule.  If you wouldn't say it to a woman who wasn't pregnant, don't say it to a woman who IS pregnant.  This is still my body and you're still making me feel badly about it."

I still don't think she got it.  I was clearly already feeling like a whale this morning - I didn't need this chick to rub in my face how unusually enormous I was.

That is all.

lovelylittleworld
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d

Re: &*$#ing Subway

• Ugh, I hate people...especially those who have zero social tact and just say whatever the eff they think of. Sorry you had to deal with that. People suck.

ETA: That reminds me - when I was pregnant with B at one of my regular appts, after being weighed, the nurse says, "Girl, you need to stop eating whatever it is that you're eating." It took all my strength not to comment on her weight (sans pregnancy). I'm also convinced the scales are off in that place bc when I'm in one room I seem to only gain a pound between appts and in the other it's like 7. But really? If my doctor is concerned, she'll tell me. Otherwise, shut it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Someone's getting a little brother!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • That's terrible!  I'm so sorry that she was so rude, and clueless. 
    IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • What a F&CKING idiot! Ignore the b!tch.

Edit: I hate people and how stupid they act when women are pregnant. Sorry you had to deal with this today. 

• imagejcsntms06:

What a F&CKING idiot! Ignore the b!tch.

Edit: I hate people and how stupid they act when women are pregnant. Sorry you had to deal with this today. 

Right!!?  I'm usually pretty good about brushing it off and even managed to keep my cool today...but seriously??  Why do people think this is okay?  The fact that I'm pregnant does not make my body a free for all for commentary.  Your comments aren't cute or funny and the bump doesn't = a free pass to make me feel like sh!t.

lovelylittleworld
  • duude - you need to stop going to Subway.

also - I think in someways maybe it was better to be overweight and PG, b/c seriously nobody said a word about my body/twins, etc. when I was PG.  Maybe they just thought I was super fat, which isn't really so great - but whatever, they kept it to themselves. ..

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Is this the same subway where the angry man waved his "hard-earned" dollar in your face? If so, you should take it as a sign to just never step foot in there again.

I have no idea what is wrong with people. I got comments like that all the time, especially with DS1 when I had a very prominent bump. So, so annoying. Just breathe......these people are not worth getting upset over! (I know, easier said than done).

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Uh... I am so sorry this happened to you! I don't get why people think it is okay to talk about pregnant women like that. I had one co-worker tell me I was "huge" basically every day from 16 weeks onwards. One day I lost it and told everyone within hearing range (including that person)that I was going to start walking down the hall pointing to people and making rude comments about their appearance, "Hey Baldy!" "Wow, that's a big pot belly." Hugs!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Good for you for calling attention to her rudeness, but I can't believe she STILL didn't get this hint!! I'm sorry you had to deal with that!

And Mella, if a nurse said that to me, I would want to cry.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • imagemrs. remy:

Is this the same subway where the angry man waved his "hard-earned" dollar in your face? If so, you should take it as a sign to just never step foot in there again.

I have no idea what is wrong with people. I got comments like that all the time, especially with DS1 when I had a very prominent bump. So, so annoying. Just breathe......these people are not worth getting upset over! (I know, easier said than done).

Hell no.  I really DON'T go into that one any more.  Afraid it'll trigger some sort of flatbread-induced PTSD.

And Mella, omg, I would've throttled that cow.

lovelylittleworld
  • OMG.  No more Subway for you, mmmkay? People are NOT cool.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • People who say *** like that in the first place NEVER get it.  I miss being pregnant so much but I don't miss all the comments from people.  The ONLY acceptable thing to EVER say to a pregnant woman is 'omg you look great!'
    bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • I'm right with ya! With both my pregnancies, I have gotten really big in the belly... and I constantly get the "twins" comment. No.. I am not... leave me alone. The worse one was I bought a car in Oct '10, had DS in April '11 and went for an oil change in Sept '11 and the car salesman TOLD (yes, not asked, told me) I was pregos again! REALLY?! I wanted to punch him in the face. So, you are not alone my dear... some people just are not smart Zip it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow, how rude and completely clueless.  I'm so glad you stuck up for yourself and all of pregnant kind as well!! Although it sounds like maybe it didn't phase her.  SOrry this made your day icky :(
  • People are idiots. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Good for you for standing up to her!  I probably would have burst into tears.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What a douche canoe. Sorry that happened, Rags. You're a beautiful, pregnant woman and don't let anyone ever convince you otherwise!
  • People are so fing rude. You handled yourself really well...I either cried or glared or flipped my lid. Lol. I am only 5'2" and had an 8lb 8oz baby and gained 40lbs. My doctor was never concerned but apparently my *** ass coworkers were and I swear I heard something every.single.day even after starting to respond back. People suck.
  • I'm over being polite, or else not being able to sleep more than 2 hours at a time is starting to wear on me.  My current responses to those questions include "what baby?" or "you're fat too."  Seriously, people make the craziest faces when I say I'm due in January, and I've already been told I'm "ready to pop."

On a slightly unrelated note - I stopped at Dunkin Donuts one morning on my way to work, and the guy behind the counter says "what are you, like a lawyer or something?" (I am, but was a bit taken aback) - when I said yes, he asked where I went to law school and then said, "so you're what, like, 50,000 in debt?" Umm - could I just get my bagel without the side of judgment before 9 am please??   

4.23.12 - BFP! EDD 1.3.12

imageimage

• image2PuppiesHon:

I'm over being polite, or else not being able to sleep more than 2 hours at a time is starting to wear on me.  My current responses to those questions include "what baby?" or "you're fat too."  Seriously, people make the craziest faces when I say I'm due in January, and I've already been told I'm "ready to pop."

On a slightly unrelated note - I stopped at Dunkin Donuts one morning on my way to work, and the guy behind the counter says "what are you, like a lawyer or something?" (I am, but was a bit taken aback) - when I said yes, he asked where I went to law school and then said, "so you're what, like, 50,000 in debt?" Umm - could I just get my bagel without the side of judgment before 9 am please??   

::high fives her fellow chubbed out, debt ridden lawyer:: Big Smile

lovelylittleworld
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"