Two Under 2

Older Child's reactions?

How did your older child react to the new baby.

I feel like there isn't really anything I can do to prepare my son for the arrival of his sister, because he won't really understand it, but I'm not getting any further from her arrival, so I'm starting to worry about how my son will take the change!

Re: Older Child's reactions?

• I would agree with you that there isn't much you can do to prepare one so young. Our son was 19 months when his sister was born. We had a couple of gifts for him in the hospital he played with. And while I'm sure each child is different, in the hospital he was ok. Our first night home was traumatic. He threw a two hour tantrum. And my husband ending up sleeping in his room because he didn't sleep much all night. Thankfully my mom was there and she watched the baby during the tantrum. Since then, things have been fine. We have to constantly remind him about being gentle around her, sometimes he's a really big help (likes to lay on tummy time with her), but most of the time he just ignores her. He does use his security blanket more, and throws more tantrums, but then he is also getting into the terrible twos, so I think that would happen anyways. Looking forward to when she starts crawling and how they interact then (still a few months away).
  • Honestly, DD was pretty indifferent. She basically ignored the baby for the first 4-5 months and has only recently started to pay more attention to her, mainly (I would guess) because she more mobile and therefore can interact more. We tried not to push it really.
    image        image
  • Loading the player...
  • DD was 20 months when DS arrived, he's only 4 weeks old.  We have had more tantrums but I attribute it to getting into the terrible two's.  She had tantrums before DS arrived.  She's really good with DS, huggging, kissing, and talking to him.  Occassionally she will want me to put him down to do something with her.  The biggest issue with DD has been her sleep regression since we brought him home, but it seems to be getting better...slowly!  Also, I've noticed she has started playing more independently which has been awesome.

• DS was 13 months when his brother came. It was awful. Awful. DS1 cried all the time. He was so jealous, and I tried so hard to help him, but it just took time for him to get used to his brother. You just have to fight through it, and do the best you can. Luckily, the horrible part only lasted about a month. He absolutely adores his brother now. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Dd is 16 months old and ds is 3.5 weeks old. At first she was very jealous and would scream if dh or her grandmother held him. For some reason it was ok for me to hold him lol. Anyway that lasted a few days and then she was annoyed by him. She has past annoyance and she now wants to kiss him and wake him up when she is sleeping. Luckily he is a very good baby and rarely cries. When he has a breakdown and it takes a few minutes to settle him down she gets upset. Anyway she seems to be getting used to him fast and I think it's because she is so young and adaptable.
  • imageIrisheyes1247:
    Honestly, DD was pretty indifferent. She basically ignored the baby for the first 4-5 months and has only recently started to pay more attention to her, mainly (I would guess) because she more mobile and therefore can interact more. We tried not to push it really.

This exactly.  Mine are 21 months apart.  DD1 wasn't jealous, but wasn't really interested.  She would talk to her and ask about her, but it wasn't constant.  She didn't really pay much attention until DD2 was mobile and taking her toys.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"