May 2012 Moms

My baby just fell off the couch! :(

And I just feel like a horrible mama!

I called his doctor and they asked about how he was acting and such and they said he should be fine but if he starts to act oddly, or begins vomiting, acting extremely drowsy, or a list of other odd things then I should bring him to a hospital.

I am still so worried though, like how do you know with a head injury? He could be okay now...

Ugh, I am a worried mess. Worse part is, I left just to get some juice from the kitchen. 2 seconds! He was asleep. I put pillows on the floor and everything because I am such a spazz and that didn't help because he somehow fell and missed the pillows. He literally fell as I was walking into the den. I witnessed the entire thing which doesn't help at all, it only makes me feel worse.

Please someone help me out here. Tell me I am not horrible, mistakes happen, and he is going to fine, because I feel like the worst mother of the year right now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My baby just fell off the couch! :(

• Hugs to you mama....you are not horrible.  I have heard of so many babies falling and they are have all been fine.  These incidents are hard because we see them but we can't react fast enough to stop them, so yes, it was an accident. It is not as though you purposely dropped him and you even had pillows prepared.  How has he been since?? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He is very alert, playful and he is his usual self. He only cried for like 20 seconds then he was fine and laughing like a minute later.
  • Loading the player...
  • If it makes you feel better I did this too a couple week ago. LO was laying on the couch next to me and the router was acting up so I stood up walked 2 feet unpluged and repluged and *bam* down she went. It took all of 3 secs.

My doc said they are pretty resiliant at this age and just to watch for the same things your doc said. Nothing happened, she didn't even bruise at all. I know how you felt though, I'm pretty sure I cried longer than she did.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I'm sorry but I'm laughing out loud, if that's the worse thing you ever let your kid do to get hurt you'll be very lucky. Kids have hard heads and baby boys bounce, is what I've learned. My 8 year old is a normal smart child after hitting his head more than I can count
    Don't worry it will be fine!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Hugs to you. I know it is scary. But I would go w/ your gut- if he's acting ok... then I'm sure he's fine. Not to make you any more nervous- but I'm sure this won't be the only time it happens. As a FTM- mistakes happen. Even if it's not your first lo- they still happen-  mistakes that is. My lo slid out of his bouncy seat in the 2 sec I turned my back, but he landed on a cushiony rug.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Aww. You definitely are not horrible. I'm sure all of us had at least one fall off a bed, changing table, couch, whatever when we were babies.
  • LO did this the other day and while I definitely put him on the floor the next time, it didn't really occur to me to feel that bad. As people said, babies are pretty resilient and it happens at some point to most kids. And as long as I don't act worried, LO barely notices. When things like that happen (he also rolled INTO the sofa the other day and bumped his head,) I just scoop him up, give him a kiss, a toy and he stops crying right away. It really seems to startle him him more than hurt.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm thinking that's what happened. I figure he cried for those few seconds because it scared him awake.
  • Happened to us too. It was the first time she rolled back to tummy to *thump* And, to make you feel even better, I was sitting right there with my hand lightly on her belly and I still managed to let her roll right off the sofa! She was so upset she did one of those silent, red-faced cries for the first few seconds. Hugs and kisses fixed everything. Hugs to you for I know how it feels.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's ok.  Sometimes kids fall he will be fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dont feel bad. We all either have a moment like that, or will. No one escapes it.

When my daughter was 3 weeks old, I had her head laying on my knees as I sat on the couch, and my 75 lb. German shepard dog ran by and tail
    whipped her in the head so hard : she screamed at the top of her lungs and I sobbed for an hour.
  • A couple weeks ago, my husband dropped our son on his head. Outside. On a stone wall. From about 3 feet. I was really concerned (read stark raving mad! I saw him do it) but LO barely cried, actually had no marks whatsoever, and acted fine after. I'd advise watching him, but it's not going to be the last time he falls or hits his head. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"