Special Needs

Where in the US should we live with ASD?

DH is at a point in his career where a step up is imminent, and given the trouble we're having getting services for DS 2.5, ASD, we're willing to look anywhere. There are a LOT of possibilities and we're overwhelmed with options and information.

Can anyone give me an idea where we might start looking, and/or if you can give us any information, that would be awesome. We're thinking bigger cities are going to be better overall, but obviously state requirements play a role as well.

TIA!

Re: Where in the US should we live with ASD?

• We live in an "enriched district" in San Diego and have loved the level of services and available access programs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would not recommend Colorado. :P

While we personally have had a good experience with our school district, the resources otherwise are dismal. One good point is that employer insurance must cover a certain amount of autism therapy -- but only if the plan is regulated by the state department of insurance (i.e., headquartered in CO). I've been told that only about 30% of families who need it actually are able to access that coverage, because self-insured plans and private plans are not required to abide by that law.

The state wait list for therapy help is seven years and only covers kids between ages 3-6. Only 75 kids in the state are covered at a time and most will age off the waitlist before receiving any help. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the input. Is anyone in Cleveland, Oh? I'm seeing good things, but I'd love to get some personal experiences.
  • I would still say California ib general has better options than most states. For one, we have regional centers. They offer a wide varieti of services that either supplement or add to the coctail of services from school districts, including respit, ABA for after school, camp aids, social skills...etc. Two, resoyrces are close by....UCLA dev dept is state of the art, Childens in L.A....even Michelle Garcia Winner is in Cali...lol! I know you were planning on going to visit her and have tea..j/k. But, its true that there are a lot of options and resources here, especially since the cincentration of ASD kids here is so big and a lot of research is done here. LaUSD alone serves around 700 thousand spec needs kids.
  • Dont know ab aspergers. OP mentioned ASD, so i was answering that IN GENERAL, Cali has a lot of systems in place that other states dont. My DS has been dxed with HFA, so officially autism, and based on this dx, reg ctr has been extremely helpful to have as an option. Not saying they throw services at you, but at least nobody can say this or that is not available here or doesnt exist. Then its up to you to try and get it. That is better than what a lot of other states can offer, IMO.
  • I guess that's one good thing about DS being non verbal. He's delayed in most areas to about the level of a one year old, and he'll be 3 in March. At least right now, I'm not worried anyone is going to say he doesn't need services. Because everyone agrees that he does. It's totally obvious.
  • imageAmamsneb:
    Thanks for the input. Is anyone in Cleveland, Oh? I'm seeing good things, but I'd love to get some personal experiences.

I'm near Cleveland. EI in Summit county Akron area is OK, the providers are good and they follow the rules but neighboring/nearby counties seem to have more extensive programs Portage County near Kent State University, Lake County east of Cleveland which is Cuyahoga County, Lorain County West of Cleveland. This is for EI. Right now, Ohio's program Help Me Grow is undergoing major changes related to eligibility. We now have Dx lists that somewhat dictate eligibility and we are beginning to see more and more kids who have to be "professionally opinioned" as eligible. These kids are fully evaled every 6 months full Battelle plus concern area evals.

As for schoolage, that fully depends on the district and your child's needs. We have great programs around here and some not so great programs just like anywhere else. Depends on where in the area you'd like to consider.
  • Yeah, DS will be 3 in March, so we're already looking at schools around here for transition out of EI. We are definitely more interested in knowing how schools are and how kids on different ends of the spectrum are treated than EI.
  • imageAmamsneb:
    Thanks for the input. Is anyone in Cleveland, Oh?I'm seeing good things, but I'd love to get some personal experiences.

I lived a county south of cleveland for 5 years.  My boys don't have ASD but they've been in EI since birth.  

The state agency is called Help Me Grow and they have county by county support.  I personally felt our county was phenomenal in helping child that needed behavioral supports.  They had a classroom that started at 18 months for children that needed behavorial and social supports.  They also had a preschool that started at 2 for children that needed behavioral and social supports along with motor skill help.

With that being said, I feel children like my boys got the short end of the stick.  They feel very strong that the "Family" part of IFSP is the main key.  They taught us skills to use at home.  Great concept, except when you're getting OT one time a month by the time you get to the next session all the things you've been doing are way outdated.  

DS1 is almost 2.5.  He has NO words.  He does not babble.  He was only offered speech 1x/month 45 minutes.  When we pushed they consented to 30 minutes 2x/month.  

I do know from our pedi (her daughter has Down Syndrome) that almost all her families do not feel that the county speech program was worth it at all.  She strongly pushed us to go to a private facility and was ready to help us fight the insurance company until we decided to move.  We ended up moving back to NJ. DS1 gets 8 hours of therapy PER WEEK.  Back in OH he qualified for 4.5 PER MONTH.  He had PT 1x/week, OT 1X/month and ST 1x/month.  He doesn't stand, walk, talk, self feed, and is delayed to abouta 12 month old level.

Also, Governor Kasich does NOT like the 2yr old preschool.  he does not feel that it is "natural" and is pushing for therapy to be offered in home.  All of our therapy was at the county board of developmental disabilities.  They do make some home visits (our PT came out and took DS swimming).  I know Cuyahoga county (where cleveland is located) has done away with their 2 yr old preschool program.  

There are a lot of ASD friendly therapeutic schools.  One is Summit Academy.https://www.summitacademies.com/  I also felt Ohio was quick to qualify children for therapy.   

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Lurking (we're considering SN adoption), but I have the highest praises for local resources in Auburn, Alabama.  They have a preschool for kids with ASD with behaviorists and highly researched programs.  There are tons of activities and groups for children with special needs--I've been told people move to Auburn specifically for the SN support.  
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Hi! I think you're spot on that bigger cities in general will have better resources.  From personal experience, Boston and the surrounding cities have excellent services and teacher education/curriculum standards including early education for children with disabilities, and New York state law offers comprehensive coverage that goes beyond federal requirements- and the public schools in the city are some of the best in the country :) From what I hear from friends, DC is a good place because there are a lot of advocacy groups which lend a lot of resources and help if you're having trouble getting services to which you're entitled, but that should also be true of cities like New York, Chicago, Boston, Berkeley, etc.  As a rule, "higher rated" school districts generally (but not always) offer better services.  It really does vary from district to district though, and I would call the districts as you look at neighborhood and check them out (since the schools are responsible for providing services after EI services end).  Good luck in your new home search :)

• We live in the San Francisco bay area... Ds is 5 and asd (high functioning)  I am very satisfied with the services we receive... We did not have early intervention but started services with the school district when he was 3... At 3 he was non verbal and were referred to a local center where he received aba, ot, and speech ( also pecs system... He was verbal within a few months) Then after a year he was enrolled in preschool in the district and is now in kindergarten... this has all been free and he qualifies for busing as well... He classes are small.. 7-8 kids 1 aid to 2 students..We are hoping he can be mainstreamed  part of the day with an aid next year... We are also in the process of getting him re evaluated at our local regional center ( he was formally diagnosed last dec) hoping to get some in home therapy as well ( it is free) the only complaint I have is the long wait lists to get appts for evaluations... We waited almost a year at stanford for an eval  and regional center has taken almost as long... We used to live in Denver... From reading previous posts I think it was a good that we moved back to ca! good luck to you! Hth! 
    DD 11/5/10 born by c section DS 9/8/07 born by c section due to Pre-e/Hellp Syndrome m/c at 5 1/2 weeks 8/4/06 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
  • If you are looking in the South some of the suburbs of Atlanta seem to be good.  We haven't done very many public options yet becuase our insurance is great and there are tons of good thereapist in the Area.  I would say for the south I have been impressed with the services I have found in the city and surrounding areas.  As far as public school options you would need to look at the suburbs.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"