August 2012 Moms
Options

$3800 'Nursery Charge' on hospital bill?!

The third night we were in the hospital DD went to the nursery for less than 2 hours...about 1.5 hours. The nurse asked me about 4 times to take her and said I really needed the rest. DH was on board too. I just got the bill with 'nursery room charge' on it for over $3800! Had I known they were going to charge this insane rate I NEVER would've agreed. I didn't even rest b/c I was worried about her! Has anyone else seen a charge like this? Can I contest it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: $3800 'Nursery Charge' on hospital bill?!

• Options

Something sounds hokey. I'd call and discuss it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options
    That sounds like an awful lot for just a few hours. My DS was in the nursery for 2 days for respiratory observation and tests and the charges were about the same as that. I'd check into it and fight it if I were you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

is that out of pocket!? omg!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    imagebsschroeder:

is that out of pocket!? omg!

luckily, no. But insurance is charging me $300 of it!

• Options
    I'd call the hospital and try to contest it. That's bananas.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Silly me I had no idea the charges would be so high for the nursery! I took the advice to get the rest and send dd to the nursery and two nights cost $2400! Had I only known?!?!?!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My LO only went for his bath and to get warmed up. Maybe 45 minutes total. I think you get charged for it weather you use it or not :(
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageheathert1981:
    Silly me I had no idea the charges would be so high for the nursery! I took the advice to get the rest and send dd to the nursery and two nights cost $2400! Had I only known?!?!?!

Isn't it ridiculous?! I feel like they should tell you it's an extra charge. 

• Options
    Thankfully I work at the hospital, so insurance covered it all...but DS went to the nursery for 3 hours and it cost the insurance company 3700 buckaroos.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Options
    I'm so glad for OHIP because that is insane! At my hospital my mom walked all over LD and there was no nursery. DD stayed in my room the whole time.

DD Born August 16, 2012
    DS Due April 27, 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Crazy! I saw no separate nursery charge. Just one total hospital bill for like 7500.
  • Options
    We had a similar thing happen to us! We got a bill for 1300 I think and I called the hospital wondering what all the charges were for before I sent a check off... They said well a private room for 4 nights was a lot of the cost... PRIVATE ROOM?! I didn't request a private room, they put me in a room when I came in the ER when my water broke and I ended up having a c-section after being in labor for 16 hours so I sure as hell didn't request that! Lol.. They said "all their rooms are private" WTF! They charge for ANTHING & EVERYTHING!! The lady proceeded to smart off to me and say "it's not cheap to have a baby".. Lets just say, they got an ear full from this hormonal mom ;)
  • Options
    Someone should post this on the third tri to help others
    lolololo
  • Options

imageAprilAngie:
    Someone should post this on the third tri to help others

Great idea. I know I would've appreciated it. I'll post it. Thx. 

• Options
    LADIES! Don't be silly! The charge is not for sending baby to the nursery! It is just what they call the charges related to the baby being a patient in the hospital. It includes nursing care, supplies, and testing that is not otherwise covered in your bill. In otherwords...that's my pay, lol! Most hospitals don't even keep track of where the baby is with mom or in the nursery.. I mean, sure, the nurses keep track, but there's no formal hospital biling procedure for it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    So glad I have OHIP, it seems like you have to pay a fortune to have babies in the United States!
  • Options
    imagebeckyfarrelly:
    So glad I have OHIP, it seems like you have to pay a fortune to have babies in the United States!

Ditto that. If I lived the states I might have had a home birth in that case. It's insane!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageLoveOfMikesLife:
    My LO only went for his bath and to get warmed up. Maybe 45 minutes total. I think you get charged for it weather you use it or not :(

Same here. I think the charge was $5000, but it was covered. I'm sure they have to bill for that time, but it's not like there's an hourly rate, so they just bill the full amount.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageMommyMelRN:
    LADIES! Don't be silly! The charge is not for sending baby to the nursery! It is just what they call the charges related to the baby being a patient in the hospital. It includes nursing care, supplies, and testing that is not otherwise covered in your bill. In otherwords...that's my pay, lol! Most hospitals don't even keep track of where the baby is with mom or in the nursery.. I mean, sure, the nurses keep track, but there's no formal hospital biling procedure for it.

Im thinking this is right...
    WEBONLY_NOPRINT_DSC_1509-2-2236294072-O
    DS #1 Born: 10/03/06, DS #2 Born: 08/06/12 My Cooking Blog
  • Options
    I also believe this is correct after having done research on some hospitals' websites. They charge you for infant care in general and dub it "nursery" charges. 
  • Options

imageMommyMelRN:

i also believe this is correct per the research I've done on some hospitals' websites. They charge you for infant care and dub it "nursery" charges. Just got my bill too and was shocked. Thankful to have insurance but sucks to have to pay anything. I guess I'd rather pay and have good care for my baby though. Peace of mind and good care are priceless. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"