May 2013 Moms

For those whom zofran doesn't work...

So I took zofran during the first 20 weeks of my first pregnancy and while it didn't help the nausea it took my gag reflux away so I wouldn't puke. Well this time, it's not doing anything. I am still getting sick most days and I am so sick in the evenings I can't get off the couch without ending up at the toilet. 

I have a dr appointment tomorrow and I am thinking of asking if there is anything stronger I can take. I am just not able to function in the evenings and I am down 8 pounds (I started out small and I can't lose much more with out being underweight).

Is there anything you take that helps better then zofran? Maybe a higher does? I have tried the unison b6 combo and it made me so sleepy I could barely care for my son. 

Thanks for your help ladies!  

DS1: 4/15/2011
Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
BFP #2: CP 5/2012
DS2: 4/24/2013
BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: For those whom zofran doesn't work...

• mine is a little on the extreme side b/c I have hyperemesis (extreme nausea & vomiting) but i'm on 4 different drugs to help with the vomiting.  I take 8mg of zofran every 8 hours (i have a picc line for fluids...so my zofran is via IV), I also take zantac twice a day (it's already in my fluids), phenegran in between the zofran doses & unisom at night.

you are your best advocate, if zofran isn't working for you (or you think you need a higher dose) make sure your doctor understands.  let him/her know how sick you are...especially b/c if you get dehydrated it can make the m/s MUCH worse.

hope you get some relief soon!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Maybe reglan? It helps food move along quicker so it doesn't sit in your stomach. I also take phenergan at bedtime which makes my mornings a little easier.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Loading the player...
  • I recently heard that Hydroxyzine works for severe nausea. They use it as an anxiety med for people before surgery and for cancer patients. I have taken it in the past for my hives, but not while pregnant. Anyway, something to look into.
  • Ive started taking B6 and noticed a difference. Maybe ask.
    IMG_7454 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagejesselayne8:
    Maybe reglan? It helps food move along quicker so it doesn't sit in your stomach. I also take phenergan at bedtime which makes my mornings a little easier.

This. I took Zofran and it did nothing for me. My dr said its not as effective for anyone who is even mildly dehydrated. Not sure how true that is but that's what he told me. Since the Zofran didn't work I have been taking Reglan and its helps me so much. I don't take it on days I don't need it but when I am feeling sick and know I need to eat I pop one before I eat and it's helps a ton. Definitely ask about Reglan.  

TTC since 3/4/2010
    Me: PCOS, DH: normal
    Started seeing RE 11/10/2011
    8/31/2012 = BFP!!
    First Ultrasound... TRIPLETS! EDD 5/11/13
    Baby w/ no HB @ 10w4d - We love you angel baby.
    Baby A & B doing great. A/S 12/10/12 - Healthy BOYS!
    Sawyer & Silas born at 33+6 on 3/29/13
    imageimage
    imageView Raw Image" height="250" width="375">

image"Lilypie">image

• I went on phenergren with my DD but it made me so sleepy I could only take it at night. 

I'm determined not to go on anything this time and just ride out the vomiting because I'm keeping down enough food and water.  I'm losing a little weight but nothing concerning.  I'm using sea bands and B6 and ginger.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I started out on 4 mg of zofran every 8 hours. It worked for a couple of days. They increased the dosage to 8 mg every 8 hours. It made a huge difference. My doc said next steps if that doesn't work is Phenegran (sp?). I don't know that it is stronger but it does target different receptors than the zofran. The last couple of days the zofran has stopped working. I'll be 12 weeks Tuesday and I'm hoping my nausea/vomiting is coming to a close so hopefully I can hold out a little while longer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the suggestions ladies! I like going into appointments knowing my options. I will definitely ask about reglan. 

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"