Potty Training

XP- Pregnancy causing potty training issues?

I nanny for my sisters kids, ages 5, 2.5 (almost 3), and 1. My nephew, who will be 3 in December, has had issues with potty training the last 2 weeks. Nothing has changed, really. No schedule changes, no new people, nothing either my sister, BIL or I can figure out. The only thing I can think of is my pregnancy.

I've watched her kids 5 days a week since the oldest was 6 weeks old, so I'm practically a second mom to the kids. When I told the kids that I was going to have a baby, my 5 yr old niece was so excited. I didn't expect my nephew to say anything or care at all, but a couple days later he asked me "Why you have a baby in your belly?" and then "I don't want you to have a baby in your belly." This was about 2 months ago, and he hasn't said a word about it since.

The last two weeks he's been having issues with potty training out of the blue, and we can't pinpoint why. I feel terribly guilty that the thing stressing him out is me having a baby. It would be nice to blame it on his older sister going back to school, but she was in school full time last year too, and her camp over the summer was 4 days a week. Could it be my pregnancy? Is anyone having this trouble with their kids?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
imageimage

Re: XP- Pregnancy causing potty training issues?

• I think I am with DS1. He was doing well with potty training and wasn't fully potty trained, but was getting there. We were finally able to put him in undies and he would recognize when he needed to go... Then, we started buying baby stuff, and he suddenly refused to go number 2 on the potty. He kept holding it in. Everywhere I read said to revert back to pull-ups for 2 weeks because it's not healthy for him to hold it in. So, we did that. Now, as we get closer to the baby coming (he just asked me "where's the baby?" a week ago, and I told him "he'll be here in a few weeks") he refuses to use the potty. For some reason, he's even reverted back to calling pull ups which we call "undies" to coincide with his real undies as diapers. Plus, he just asked me for a "baba" something he definitely hasn't touched in 2.5 years.

I'm just at a loss at to how to manage this. How are you managing this? I take him to the potty and he just stares at me now and tells me he's done when he hasn't done anything... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"