March 2012 Moms
Options

Flu Shot

Hey All! I am still breastfeeding, so does anyone know if I need to get the preservative free flu shot for myself? Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Flu Shot

• Options
    I actually JUST asked this question on the BFing board because I planned to get one on Monday and it just occurred to me that I might need the preservative-free one.. I'll let you know what the general consensus there is!
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • Options
    Yikes! There is more than one kind of flu shot? The pediatrician actually gave me mine at DDs 6 mo appt. Hopefully it was the right one as they know I'm nursing. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is what I can find on kellymom...it doesn't say anything about the preservative-free shot.

There are currently two forms of the flu vaccine:

• The intranasal (nasal mist) form of the influenza vaccine (trade-name FluMist?) is an attenuated (weakened) live vaccine. It is approved for use only in healthy people between the ages of 5 and 49 years. Per the CDC, ?The current estimated risk of getting infected with vaccine virus after close contact with a person vaccinated with the nasal-spray flu vaccine is low (0.6%-2.4%).?
    • The standard, injectable form of the flu vaccine is an inactivated (killed) vaccine.

The CDC indicates that either form of the vaccine is acceptable for a breastfeeding mother, as long as she otherwise meets requirements for receiving the vaccine.

US Centers for Disease Control has general information on the current Flu Season and the CDC maintains a Weekly Flu Map for the US.

https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/vaccines-bf/

Where are you planning to get it done? Maybe who ever administers it to you can help?

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"