Baby Showers

Seperate showers for the comfort of the guests

Ok here goes:  My 2 best friends jumped at the chance to have a baby shower when they found out the news and so did my mother's best friends so as of right now there may possibly be 2 showers.  Here is my dilemma, my boyfriend's parent's both remarried and both his mother, step mother and grandmother are all excited and will be invited to the shower.  My question is should I split up the 3 ladies so no one gets uncomfortable?  Or am I just being paranoid?  I was thinking his mother, sisters and my friends and family at one and his step mother, grandmother and my mom and her friends at another just so it's seperate? Overboard or not?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Seperate showers for the comfort of the guests

• Well, I suppose you could, but the way I figure it,  they are going to have to be together eventually right ?  I mean unless you plan of having separate baptisms, birthday parties etc.  Might as well tear off the bandaid now and set a precendent. 
  • Unless they are know for causing scenes when in the same room I would keep them together. What you can do if you are worried abt them acting out is seat them away from each other if you have formal seating arrangements but in all honesty if they make a fuss I would tell them to get over it bc today (your shower) is not about them.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemaiatene:
    Unless they are know for causing scenes when in the same room I would keep them together. What you can do if you are worried abt them acting out is seat them away from each other if you have formal seating arrangements but in all honesty if they make a fuss I would tell them to get over it bc today (your shower) is not about them.

This.  My parents are remarried, and they survive when we have family events.  My mom and dad just tend to stay away from each other.

• One of the most uncomfortable afternoons of my life was the day of my best friend's baby shower.  Her parents were divorced so her mother (the hostess) wouldn't speak to her ex-husband's sister, mother or girlfriend (and vice-versa).  The baby's father's parents were also divorced and his mother and sister wouldn't speak to the father's new wife her kids or any of the aunts from the father's side.  My best friend's mother additionally wouldn't speak to anyone from the baby's father side, regardless of who they were. 

To add to that tension, we were 18 at the time so no one was particularly thrilled that she was pregnant to begin with.

It. Was. Awful.

If everyone can get along, or fake it for the afternoon, I'd say have them all together.  They SHOULD put their differences aside for your sake.  It's one day.  If they can't, and there's going to be drama, split them up. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think if these ladies can be civil with each other, then invite them all to the same shower.  I could see how if his mom and step-mon were the ones offering to throw showers, you could have 1 for each side, but if it's your friends hosting and both sides would be invited anyway, I'd keep them together.
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • TY for the responses everyone.  I talked to bf's mom and she said she has no issues with either of the ladies so I think we'll just make it one shower.  It's still a few months away but I was curious. Thanks again

• imagestw_77:
    Well, I suppose you could, but the way I figure it,nbsp; they are going to have to be together eventually right ?nbsp; I mean unless you plan of having separate baptisms, birthday parties etc.nbsp; Might as well tear off the bandaid now and set a precendent.nbsp;
    This.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"