April 2012 Moms

Would you use this formula? Semi-long

DH and I went to Wal-mart, and in the check out line there was a lady who had a 3 month old baby.  She saw that we were buying Similac Advanced and asked if we wanted some formula she had previously bought.  She came to walmart to return it because her baby doesn't handle it very well, but they don't take previously bought formula.  In her cart she had Similac sensitive, which is what she was going to be switching her baby to.  She handed me the bag of Similac advanced ready made, seal still on, nothing looked tampered with.  She said she didn't know anyone with a baby who would use the formula and didn't want to throw it away.  She was a younger gal (23ish?) and was there with her MIL and her 3 month old baby.  We ended up accepting it, but I don't know how I feel about using it.  DH thinks I'm being paranoid because everything is sealed up and it looks as if it came off the shelf.  I think she was being nice and giving away formula to someone who would use it and didn't get a wierd feeling or anything from her. 

What do you think?  If the seal is unbroken it's ok right?  Would you use it? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Would you use this formula? Semi-long

• Given that the seal is unbroken, she was obviously with a baby, her story makes sense and you didn't get a weird vibe then I would totally use it! Especially since the seal was unbroken, I think that's the biggest factor.
    <3 Delaney. 4.5.12. <3 <br> Photobucket
  • imageLadybug32110:
    Given that the seal is unbroken, she was obviously with a baby, her story makes sense and you didn't get a weird vibe then I would totally use it! Especially since the seal was unbroken, I think that's the biggest factor.

Agreed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLadybug32110:
    Given that the seal is unbroken, she was obviously with a baby, her story makes sense and you didn't get a weird vibe then I would totally use it! Especially since the seal was unbroken, I think that's the biggest factor.

This. I had to supplement for a few weeks with DS1 and felt bad throwing away perfectly good formula. I gave away an open container if formula and I'm not a crazy! There are just nice people out there!
  • Yep, if the seal is unbroken I would use it.
  • I agree with PPs - unbroken seal, with her family and and her story adds up. I think it's probably okay too.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I may be paranoid, but I don't think I would..
  • I would use it too.

But, I really thought WalMart DID exchange unopened formula. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • I would use it. If she's a weirdo, she's gone to awfully great lengths just to give someone jacked up formula.
  • I would use it! :)
    A - 4/27/12     D - 7/14/14
  • I would say yes, I would take it. I doubt she went to all the trouble to taint a can of formula, seal it back up properly, rent a kid for a prop and go trawling walmarts for unsuspecting mothers.

However- I do think it's a bit weird that she said they wouldn't accept it back because as Dixee said, I am pretty sure they DO accept unopened formula returns as long as you have a receipt. But maybe she lost the receipt?

• It seems weird to me that Walmart won't take it back. If you don't want to use it, you could donate to a food bank.
  • imagelaurack:

I would say yes, I would take it. I doubt she went to all the trouble to taint a can of formula, seal it back up properly, rent a kid for a prop and go trawling walmarts for unsuspecting mothers.

However- I do think it's a bit weird that she said they wouldn't accept it back because as Dixee said, I am pretty sure they DO accept unopened formula returns as long as you have a receipt. But maybe she lost the receipt?

WalMart does not allow people to exchange formula if they got it through wic, but I have exchanged formula at walmart with a receipt but they lectured me about if it was bought with wic they would not exchange it.

• imagebeth6287:
    imagelaurack:

I would say yes, I would take it. I doubt she went to all the trouble to taint a can of formula, seal it back up properly, rent a kid for a prop and go trawling walmarts for unsuspecting mothers.

WalMart does not allow people to exchange formula if they got it through wic, but I have exchanged formula at walmart with a receipt but they lectured me about if it was bought with wic they would not exchange it.

Ohhh, yeah, I feel like I remember this from my prior birthmonth board!  Such a wierd thing.  Also weird you can't use formula coupons for WIC.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • imagedixee.deluxe:
    imagebeth6287:
    imagelaurack:

Ohhh, yeah, I feel like I remember this from my prior birthmonth board!  Such a wierd thing.  Also weird you can't use formula coupons for WIC.

I bet this is what the deal was.  I wasn't familiar with their exchange policy.  We bought the formula powder, and she gave us the liquid ready to use.  I don't want it to go to waste so we most likely will end up using it at some point.  I thought she  was very thoughtful.  Thanks for all the input ladies!  You guys are always good for giving me your opinions on things.  Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"