February 2012 Moms

Come in girls with hypothyroidism

One of our good friends just found out that she is pregnant, but on the same blood draw, they diagnosed her with Hypothryroidism.  Did any of you girls experience this during your pregnancies? Were there any special issues or symptoms you experienced?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker pics-25untitled_zps5ec34838Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Come in girls with hypothyroidism

• Had the same thing with my first blood draw. Just had to see an endocrinologist monthly to monitor tsh levels and adjust thyroid hormone meds. Your thyroid need changes throughout pregnancy, and immediately after delivery. There is a higher risk of miscarriage if not treated properly. Luckily I had no issues.
  • I haven't been on here FOREVER, so I hope it's okay that I comment :) I actually have a thyroid disease (I was diagnosed a few years before I got pregnant with my twins).  My thyroid didn't cause any problems with my first pregnancy and isn't causing any with this one, but I have been really careful to make sure that my levels are where they are supposed to be and I'm super diligent about taking my medication.  

She will need to have her levels checked on a regular basis.  Personally I would suggest that she visits an endocrinologist to get her levels checked because they will know better how much medication to put her on.  One of the biggest risks of hypothyroidism while you're pregnant is miscarriage.  Babies don't make their own thyroid hormones until the second trimester if I remember correctly, which means they need yours to work correctly :) There are risks beyond the first trimester, but as long as she's on the right dosage baby should be a-okay.  Have her visit an endocrinologist and get her medication figured out.  I get my levels checked every 6 weeks by my endocrinologist while I'm pregnant and also take an extra pill a week (based on the advice of my endocrinologist).  Last pregnancy I went up a small dosage amount, but I haven't yet this pregnancy.

It's not only important to the baby that she gets on medication asap, it's also important for her body.  Depending on how high her levels are she could be experiencing symptoms (fatigue, weight gain- hard to tell when you're pregnant!, cold intolerance, etc.) and not realize it.  Basically untreated hypothyroidism causes your body functions to slow down.  She'll be much happier once her levels are controlled.  

• Loading the player...
  • I'm hypo and all the above info is good, but it I feel like it may scare you.  It's fairly common, and while it is very important to monitor and treat - it is very easy to treat and the thyroid meds are very effective. I agree your friend should see an endocrinologist to be tested and treated. Tell her to educate herself on the symptoms of hypo and if she starts to exhibit symptoms in between dr visits and blood tests to call the dr. 

• I didn't mean to say anything scary.  I think it's important to know why she should see an endocrinologist.  If you're saying it's scary because of my ticker, the fact that I have hypothyroidism has NOTHING to do with my stillbirth.
  • imageKHD3341:
    I'm hypo and all the above info is good, but it I feel like it may scare you.nbsp; It's fairly common, and while it is very important to monitor and treat it is very easy to treat and the thyroid meds are very effective. I agree your friend should see an endocrinologist to be tested and treated. Tell her to educate herself on the symptoms of hypo and if she starts to exhibit symptoms in between dr visits and blood tests to call the dr.nbsp;nbsp;

I'm not sure how this was scary. The poster came here looking for information and the previous poster gave accurate important information. I respect posters like her.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Missed MC 11/17/10 Our little miracle born 1/27/12 Natural MC 7/19/12 Missed MC 1/22/13 Our family is complete DD 12/27/13
    Abnormal ANA, PAI-1 4G/4G homozygous

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"