Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Cry it out help!

My lo is getting over being sick for 2 weeks! Cold/coughing/ear infection. He is not sleeping at all though the night!! But on a normal night he never really sleeps through the night. I am soon tired of it and need help with what to do. He goes down at about 8:30 and wakes at 10..  12am sometimes 3am and just sits up in crib and cries and sometimes he stands up in crib and cries hard! So what do I do at this point!?? I'm going crazy!!! Tis has been happening pretty much most nights since he was a baby. He's 17 month old. I always blame teething too. He only has 6 teeth. So I feel like he's constantly teething. Please help!tia

Re: Cry it out help!

• I'm not a big "cry it out" helper here but if LO is sick, uncomfortable, teething...etc. I think the cry it out technique shouldn't apply ...but that's just me, others might have other opinions/experiences.

If I were you, I'd try to do it all to make LO comfortable - even if it means to bring him to bed with you..?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • So sorry to hear you are having a rough time!!  Have you tried CIO before?  We started it with our DD at 7 months and it took about 2 weeks. She is now 16 months and we are very thankful we did it!!  She pretty much goes to bed at 7pm and sleeps through the night to about 7am unless she's sick or having teething pain.  Teething is hell isn't it?!?!  It seems to last FOREVER too!!!!  Considering your little guy only has 6 there is a good chance he's got mouth pain and it's keeping him up. Do meds help at all?  

I personally think it's important for them to learn to go to bed on their own, but I know not everyone would agree with me. Sometimes I hear her cry in the middle of the night but because of the sleep training she usually goes back to sleep within a minute, unless there is something wrong.  You and your LO both need sleep!!  It's definitely not an easy thing to start but it can be well worth it!!  I remember having to put headphones on to block her screaming at the beginning of training.  The first week was pretty rough but it did get easier.  It's best to start when they are feeling better.  If he's still sick you might want to wait a bit. Obviously with the teething you just never know when they are going to feel better. Good luck!!  I hope you are able to sort him out!!  

• Loading the player...
  • imageRochell:

I'm not a big "cry it out" helper here but if LO is sick, uncomfortable, teething...etc. I think the cry it out technique shouldn't apply ...but that's just me, others might have other opinions/experiences.

If I were you, I'd try to do it all to make LO comfortable - even if it means to bring him to bed with you..?

This.  Put yourself in baby's place - if you didn't feel well, how would you feel if you asked for comfort and none came?

Have you tried other tactics to improve sleep? 

• imagencbelle:
    imageRochell:

I'm not a big "cry it out" helper here but if LO is sick, uncomfortable, teething...etc. I think the cry it out technique shouldn't apply ...but that's just me, others might have other opinions/experiences.

This.  Put yourself in baby's place - if you didn't feel well, how would you feel if you asked for comfort and none came?

Have you tried other tactics to improve sleep? 

I agree!

• We put a sippie cup of water in my daughters crib when she goes to sleep. She also has a bedtime snack included in her bedtime routine. I only recommend the sippie if your child is not still on a bottle and is not likely to sleep with the sippie in his mouth. My daughter wakes up takes a drink and puts the cup back when done. My daughter has the metabolism of a rabid squirrel. She eats constantly and would wake up hungry. If she doesn't have a good snack she will not sleep through the night.

Also, if your child is sick or has been sick I would not let them cry it out. You want them to feel secure and safe. He will feel niether if he doesn't feel well and you don't respond to his cries. An added negative is that if he is sick and cries alot it will only make him feel worse.

• agree with other posters that you shouldn't start any kind of sleep training while your LO is sick. that said, it does sound like he doesn't know how to self soothe and needs to learn how to put himself back to sleep. we never did CIO with our LO who has always been a great nighttime sleeper, but i'd recommend the same bedtime routine every night if you don't already have one, and reading as many books about sleep as you can get your hands on. i can't remember all the ones i read, but i'm a big fan of healthy sleep habits, happy child, and also read sleep lady, ferber, no cry sleep solution, babywise and prob a couple others.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"