Parenting

Toddler Bed Conversion Nightmare

Help me out, Parenting...

We just transitioned DS to a toddler bed & it is not going well.  He won't stay in bed, screams for hours (he was up until 130am the other night--his bedtime is 7p).  

Does anyone have any tips or tricks or advice?  What can we do to keep him in his room & in his bed?  He's not getting sleep & we aren't either.

Help!!

DS1 November 2009
DS2 August 2012

Re: Toddler Bed Conversion Nightmare

• We had to do some pretty hard core CIO,but he also never slept well to begin with. It was really awful to go through it and just when I wanted to give up, it *poof* got better. I want to say about a week to 10 days of consistent hard core CIO. I tried every other gentler method but none of them worked. 

Where does he lose his sh?t in the night time process? Was he usually a good sleeper in the crib? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Labor Buddy to Blowfish11
  • How do you feel about duck tape?

Kidding.

The first few nights DS was in this bed, it went great. Then he freaked out. We did our routine then had to sit outside his door on the top if the stairs and keep putting him back in bed. For a while he asked us to sit in the chair, we had a rocking chair in the corner, so we did. And actually that was a piece if cake, he was perfect with someone sitting with him. But we sorta screwed ourselves because breaking him of us sitting til he feel asleep was and still is a challenge.

Really, I can only tell you my story. Sorta feel like we failed in that area so maybe learn from our mistakes?
    The very best of luck!

Also, DH and I weren't a united front like we should've been. I was the, lead him back to bed by the hand, no eye contact, no talking.... Of course after I sweetly tried to get him to sleep. And hubs couldn't handle him crying. Sometimes I would even wake up with DS in our bed. Heck, sometimes DH would be in DS bed and DS would be with me! Big problem and many levels.
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you tried sitting in the room with him and slowly moving towards the door at intervals? Also, try not to engage him. And I agree with chapski about being a united front. You both need to use the same approach or it won't have a chance of working. GL to you.
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/60/2a/1e602a4261a90b9c761ebe748b780318.jpg    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/2c/07/472c076006afed606241716dd0db828a.jpg 
  • C is afraid of the dark some, so he has a lavalamp for a nightlight, and he gets a kiddie flashlight in bed. Sometimes he will ask for a book, and "read" until he falls asleep. We have told him he can play with his toys but he needs to play in bed, and that helps us get less fuss, plus he falls asleep faster than if we were in the room.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• We had this issue with DD. we tried reading to her rubbing her back, night lights, special clocks....nothing worked. And. She. SCREAMED. I then tried the childproof door knob, which she dismantled. Finally, my pedi told meago put a hook and eye on the outside of her door. we installed it and told her it was there. A couple nights she pulled at the door and cried. She would end up asleep on a blanket on her floor with a light on. She got the hint she wasn't coming out in less than a week and she slept fine. We switched her room about a month ago and got her a regular twin bed and she started acting the same way this past week and none of us ave slept well. DH installed a hook and eye on this door and we started it tonight, so we will see ho it goes. Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"