September 2012 Moms

Please Help! Extremely Fussy!

My son is 3 weeks 4 days old and ever since about Friday night he has been extra fussy, whiny, spitty, grunting and crying...especially today.  At first I thought it was just a growth spurt, but it is getting worse.  It is almost like he is really gassy and can't get himself comfortable.  I just don't know what to do!  He was up ALL last night and hasn't really slept much today either.  He has been on Similac Advanced liquid since we left the hospital.  We tried Similac Sensitive powder (I had a sample of it) for his last two bottles and it just seemed to make him cry more and act more hungry (my husband thinks its because the powder is thinner so it doesn't fill him up as much).  But we gave him more of it and he just threw it up a couple times.  His grunting is like he is straining to fart, or poop, but can't...though he has been pooping.  I just don't know what to to to help him or what is wrong with him!  And I don't think I can wait for his 1 month check up on Wednesday!  Thank you so much!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Please Help! Extremely Fussy!

• DD3 is also 3.5 weeks old and has developed this problem. I don't know if your son is having this specific issue, but I'll tell you what worked for us. DD has been grunting, crying and acting like she's gassy and in pain. Sometimes babies forget to release when they need to poop or fart and instead clinch up. I had this happen at times with all three babies. I take a thermometer and put vaseline on it. I then poke just a little into baby's bottom. This usually does the trick. I had to do this to DD3 last night, and she let loose a whole barrage of gas and poop. I have also been giving her a little mylicon.

Elizabeth Grace 11.20.05 Nora June 7.15.08 Beatrix Catherine 9.4.12
  • DD was like that a week ago. We use infant gas drops at every feeding and that seems to help. Also, at diaper changes I massage her belly by tracing my finger around her belly button and running my fingers from her rib cage to the top of her diaper. It has really seemed to help get the gas outs. Also, when I feed I burp her a TON.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageWhite0rchid:
    DD3 is also 3.5 weeks old and has developed this problem. I don't know if your son is having this specific issue, but I'll tell you what worked for us. DD has been grunting, crying and acting like she's gassy and in pain. Sometimes babies forget to release when they need to poop or fart and instead clinch up. I had this happen at times with all three babies. I take a thermometer and put vaseline on it. I then poke just a little into baby's bottom. This usually does the trick. I had to do this to DD3 last night, and she let loose a whole barrage of gas and poop. I have also been giving her a little mylicon.

Our pedi also said to try this, haven't yet but we might tonight if she seems to be in pain.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I seem to be having issues with the Similac Sensitive, too.  Maybe it's the formula giving the gas.  We also had issues with the Enfamil Gentlease.  Thought those two formulas were supposed to HELP with the gas, not make it worse, but maybe not for every baby.
  • My ped said to give 2 ozs of warm water, it will help with gas and move their bowels. We have tried it a couple of times and it has appeared to work *knock on wood*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"