April 2013 Moms

Need a recommendation on prenatals

I started taking One a Day prenatals a couple of weeks ago and I noticed that it has 4000 IUs of vitamin A.  The nurse at my OB/GYN said not to go over 5000 IU.  4000 IU of vitamin A seems high so I've been avoiding foods with vitamin A, like carrots and sweet potatoes.  When I saw my midwife on Friday she told me to get on a prenatal with only about 2000 IUs of Vitamin A so I can eat the foods I want...byw, romaine lettuce is loaded with vitamin A and I love salads.   Ahhhhh...I just want something that won't hurt my LO and isn't super expensive.  What are you taking?
image BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Need a recommendation on prenatals

• I have a script from my mw. It makes me a little constipated though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i'm taking folic acid and DHA. My blood work all came back healthy and normal, so she told me it was okay to not be taking a prenatal right now. i was taking some store brand ones coz they were only $10, but they made my nausea worse so I stopped taking them at around 6 weeks.

I would just go and look at all the prenatals your pharmacy has and chose which best suits you. 

I also would rather eat vitamins from the source (aka food) than pill form, so I wouldn't avoid eating those. 

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Huh. I was always under the impression that you just peed out whatever extra vitamins you couldn't absorb. 

I have three brands (took a lot of trial and error to find the right one that didn't make me throw up!) and all three brands (natures bounty, nature made, and vitafusion) all have 4000 iu-whatever in them. It says that equals about 50% daily value, so I'm not sure why you were warned about getting too much?

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• imageOhSewCrafty:

Huh. I was always under the impression that you just peed out whatever extra vitamins you couldn't absorb. 

I have three brands (took a lot of trial and error to find the right one that didn't make me throw up!) and all three brands (natures bounty, nature made, and vitafusion) all have 4000 iu-whatever in them. It says that equals about 50% daily value, so I'm not sure why you were warned about getting too much?

For the most part you do, but the 4 fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) can build up in your body and high doses of vitamin A are actually pregnancy Category X. I found it baffling a vitamin could be teratogenic

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hm... I take Rainbow Lights, which were recommended by my naturopath and I buy off Amazon for like $16.  I don't know where they stand on the Vitamin A, although I will check tomorrow!!!  However, my RE and OB have ok'd them, and they don't usually make me nauseated, so that plus the price is a win. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageGrace0609:
    imagerxredhead:
    imageOhSewCrafty:

Huh. I was always under the impression that you just peed out whatever extra vitamins you couldn't absorb. 

For the most part you do, but the 4 fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) can build up in your body and high doses of vitamin A are actually pregnancy Category X. I found it baffling a vitamin could be teratogenic

Yep. 

OP, I take one Flintstones Complete a day.  It has 3000 IU of vitamin A, but 33% of that is as beta-carotene, which is a safe form of vitamin A while pregnant.  So, you can really reduce the 3000 by 33% to get the amount that would "count" toward the limit.  I have never taken an actual PNV during any of my pregnancies or while BFing and my doctor has been fine w/ it.  It has 18mg of Iron in it and 400mcg of folic acid.  And it doesn't make me barf.  That is key!

I'm a Flintstone's girl too! Everything else gives me AWFUL stomach pains (whether or not I eat and whether I take them day/night). My doc has me take 2 though? I might switch to 1 since I don't like how the iron backs me up. 

Photobucket Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker VOTE on my Name List
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"