3rd Trimester

higher priced items on registry

Hi all, 

I heard through the grapevine today that some people are annoyed that I dont have any higher priced items left on my registry. I probably had about 5 to begin- a $400 stroller, my bedding which was about $300 total, a rocker thingy which was $170 and a $170 car seat. Anyway, my shower is NEXT WEEKEND and my hubby is getting calls from people saying that there is " nothing left".  

I am annoyed because, honestly, there is A TON of stuff left- in fact it scares me how much there is left- no one has bought some major things like a crib mattress, car seat adaptor, etc.

So, my question is- do I add on some higher priced items for the heck of it or do I just let them deal and but what I need.  I cant ever imagine complaining about what is on someone's registry! Its not like all I have on there is butt paste and a thermometer or something! Uuugh!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: higher priced items on registry

• If its something your wanting, then put it on. I wouldnt put things on 'just because'. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I told my parents when they complained that we bought all the higher priced items( crib, dresser, car seat and stroller set) already that instead of something really pricey they could just find a few smaller things that they really liked and do it that way or like my dad did get a gift card and a teddy bear. 

I didn't want to have things bought that I would never use and would take up space, so I didn't add expensive items to my registry just to have that stuff on there.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • someone gave me a crib, changing table, night stand, etc- so I dont really need any of that stuff. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My mother called me yesterday and said the same thing. I'm not adding things simply to add them though. I told her I only put things I thought were necessary on mine, and if someone feels like they can't choose from what's left, they could always get a gift card. I think it's weird that someone would rather buy a big ticket item that I don't really want versus smaller things I do want and a gift card.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • yingyang- I totally agree!  Plus, in my case anyway, there are a lot of things that "go together" that would certainly add up to a decent gift. I understand not wanting to get a bunch of little cheap looking things, but come one people- that is what happens when you wait until 5 days before the shower! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wouldn't add a bunch of stuff just for the heck of it. You need what you need, if it bothers them THAT much, they can buy several things. 
  • I never understood people who complain about that. You set a budget you want to spend...whether it's one big thing, or five little things. Personally, I love buying like a basket and putting a ton of the smaller things for people that they want inside of it. I guess everyone has their preference?
    imageimage BabyFetus Ticker Our Pregnancy Journey! -- http://when2bcomeone.blogspot.com/
  • I wouldn't add things just to add them. People can always go in together or get you gift cards to put towards the more expensive items. HOWEVER, if you think these people will go off your registry and just buy stuff to buy stuff at different stores regardless of if you need it or not, you could always add a few things to your registry with the intent of returning them for store credit which you can apply to the larger items. I know, I know, it's kind of playing the system, but if you don't want to end up with five diaper bags you didn't register for with no gift receipts, that may be the way to go.
    Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
    Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
    Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries
  • Leave it alone. If there aren't higher priced things you need then don't put them on there. If people aren't satisfied with your registry they can get you a gift card. I think sometimes people don't see cutesy things and get upset about it, but honestly you need practical things too, so they need to deal. Plus, if they were picky about what they wanted to buy they should have shopped sooner. Don't let it bother you.

• I like PPs suggestion about returning stuff for store credit.  But that also creates more work for you, so I don't know if I'd go that route or not.  I'm not sure how you're diapering, but if your CD, you could always add a few sets of diapers.  They run about $100 each.  Or, if not, maybe an extra bedding set?  But don't put stuff on there just to appease people.

I would just tell DH to suggest combining things or getting gift cards if they call to complain.  Just make sure he doesn't say "Irishsmiles told me to tell you to just buy a bunch of little stuff."    

It's certainly nice that you have people who want to splurge on you a bit, but like you said, they chose to wait this long, so they should've expected something like this.  The majority of items on my registry are $20-$60, with a few higher priced items and a bunch of little stuff.  We already got the furniture we need, so the only big stuff left is a car seat, cosleeper, Ergo, swing, and high chair.  

You could always put a really expensive breast pump on there.  Maybe that'll teach them to complain about what's on a registry :) 

• Just let them buy what is on there since that is what you need. Otherwise they can get a gift card and you can se it for small items. I got more excited when someone made a gift basket of all my nipples, bottle brush, bottle rack, etc. than a pricey gift because that is what I needed day to day. I think people are worried about looking cheap...LOL. Or they want to "wow" the crwd :)
  • Totally agree that is a weird complaint. Is the car seat on there your convertible?  If not you could add one (or two depending on how many cars you'll put LO in).  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Leave it.  Some people like making baskets of "little" things.  I didn't put that stuff on b/s I registered at BRU and BBB.  I figured the little stuff could be found at Walmart, Target etc.. cheaper.
  • I would not. You are more likely to get the necessary items you originally wanted if you stick to your list. Don't let people pressure you, maybe have your husband say something like that is so thoughtful, but we really would appreciate some of the more practical items as well.

My MIL jumped at the chance to buy 2 of our 3 "large" items. I was honestly just as if not more thankful to my friend who bought an array of our smaller neccasaties. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hubs and I had a couple of higher-priced items on the registry, as well as lots of lower-priced stuff. I would add the higher-priced things... Maybe people could chip in together and get them? If you know the person who is hosting your shower well, maybe tell them that an idea to give people who ask is to pool their money w/ a group to get a bigger item? I told my boss (and good friend) that this might be possible for something on our list, but it never panned out. She did pass along the info, though. In the end my DH and I ended up buying the expensive bouncer & a couple of other higher-priced items on our own, but his mom & dad got us our Britax stroller & car seat, and also our breast pump. My mom got us the crib & mattress. We actually asked for those before even making a registry (after doing research) to get the bigger purchases out of the way.

Good luck! I hope it goes well! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I'm in the same boat. Had my home shower today and SO many of my big ticket items were purchased (apparently early from what I'm told). Now my school shower is coming and I'm hearing the "There's nothing left" comments. When I went on and looked tonight after my shower I see there is plenty left that I need! Bottles, mattress, crib sheets, sleepers, sleep sack, swaddle blankets,......the list goes on! It may no be a BIG item....but a needed and necessary one!

I understand that it is my responsibility to provide for baby and of course I will! However, don't say there's nothing left when there's plenty! I don't want to add big ticket items just for sake of returning them!  

IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We added several of those higher priced items then I ended up getting many of these things for very cheap at a huge baby consignment sale. I am just going to leave them on there b/c truthfully if they get bought then I can return them for credit towards DIAPERS Which, I know we will need for a long time.
  • This happened with our wedding registry. No one wants to get you the mixing bowls or whatever that you really need from your wedding registry or the nondescript but super-practical onesies off of your baby registry. They want to be the ones who got you the swing or the bouncy seat or the stroller -- something "important". We added higher-end, "important" stuff that people wanted to buy and then returned them for store credit. Of course, we're over four years into this marriage and still have a decent amount of store credit...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"