February 2013 Moms

Placental lakes? Bed rest?

Have any of you had a placental lake before? We were involved in a near accident the other night and after experiencing a good bit of pain I went to the ER to make sure everything was okay. LO is in tip-top condition, but they did find a placental lake between my placenta and the uterus. They said it could be nothing or it could get larger. So they've put me on bed rest until I can go see my regular OB tomorrow to make sure it hasn't gotten any larger.

Have any of you have placental lakes with this or any previous pregnancies? Did they hurt the baby at all? How about bed rest? I know mine is only temporary (for the moment at least) but what do I need to do/not do? I don't want to push it. Thanks! 

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

Re: Placental lakes? Bed rest?

• I've never heard of that but I'm a FTM. I hope things go well at your appointment tomorrow and the baby is fine!

With bed rest, I always assumed it was like, you don't get out of bed/couch except to use the bathroom and other super-necessary things. Let DH take care of everything!

• Found this online. There have been one or two cases reported where very large placental lakes were thought to be associated with poor placental function, but it is now known that almost all placentas have one or more lakes by the third trimester, and they don't seem to affect your baby in any way.

Research has found that placental lakes are present in about two per cent of pregnancies and are more common in thicker placentas. There appears to be association with placental abruption (bleeding from the placenta during pregnancy), or , premature labour,small babies or stillbirths.

Because it would seem placental lakes are so common and have no significance, most sonographers do not report them, or even mention them to women
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for that info! I've been trying to find stuff without much luck. It gives me some peace of mind. Yeah, I guess I'm just a ball of nerves because we've been TTC for a few years now and now that I'm finally pregnant I just want everything to be okay so we can have this little guy.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"