August 2012 Moms

In shock.

My first baby was our fur baby, our cat. She always used to sleep in our room at night until DD came, now we kick her out at night. Since then she has kind of regressed but not too bad. She has never done anything to hurt the baby though. DH goes to bed after me and Calli so he always makes sure she is NOT in our room before he shuts the door and goes to sleep. Tonight, I wake up at 3 am to some "shuffling" noises. I jump out of bed in a panic and realize the cat is half in DDs rnp trying to make herself comfortable!!!! I freak out, panickly pick up DD and wake up DH. I AM IN SHOCK. It was totally innocent that he thought she was out and I could have done it too. Now we are both sitting here in disbelief that our cat could have killed our baby if I wouldn't have woken up. I stressed to DH about triple checking where the cat is before he goes to sleep but now I feel like I'm going to paranoid. Every. Single. Night. Ugh. I couldn't hurt a fly but if our cat hurt our baby... She wouldn't be here alive anymore THAT'S FOR SURE. I have nightmares about that kind of stuff.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: In shock.

• I would be nervous too!! My dog jumps up to be near Charlotte but never gets too close...thankfully!

Married 6/28/08, TTC 7/10, BFP 11/30/11! Charlotte Rose born on 8/4/12! TFAS 8/13, BFP 10/14/13! Lori Anne Catherine born on 6/13/14!

• We have to make sure our cats are out of the room too because my one cat thinks the bassinet is hers. She knows she isn't supposed to be in it...the second she sees one of us, she jumps out but I'm always nervous about her jumping in there with him one day.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Loading the player...
  • imagekikimo327:

imagerMe6411:
    Now we are both sitting here in disbelief that our cat could have killed our baby if I wouldn't have woken up. I stressed to DH about triple checking where the cat is before he goes to sleep but now I feel like I'm going to paranoid. Every. Single. Night. Ugh. I couldn't hurt a fly but if our cat hurt our baby... She wouldn't be here alive anymore THAT'S FOR SURE. I have nightmares about that kind of stuff.

i think you're overreacting. It's really not that hard to keep your door shut all day long so you don't have to worry about your cat. That's what we do. Also, cats curl up with babies because they are warm, not because thy want to kill them. I suggest talking to your vet if you are concerned about your cats behavior. 

We do keep our door closed every night. But somehow she must have snuck in before DH closed it. I don't think my cat was intentionally trying to hurt the baby... I think she was just trying to make herself comfortable in there... Which could suffocate a small baby if a cat lays on it. Especially since the rnp is so small there is no where besides on the baby the cat could lay down.
    Eta: would you not overreact if you woke to find your cat laying on your baby?

• imagekikimo327:

imagerMe6411:
    Now we are both sitting here in disbelief that our cat could have killed our baby if I wouldn't have woken up. I stressed to DH about triple checking where the cat is before he goes to sleep but now I feel like I'm going to paranoid. Every. Single. Night. Ugh. I couldn't hurt a fly but if our cat hurt our baby... She wouldn't be here alive anymore THAT'S FOR SURE. I have nightmares about that kind of stuff.

i think you're overreacting. It's really not that hard to keep your door shut all day long so you don't have to worry about your cat. That's what we do. Also, cats curl up with babies because they are warm, not because thy want to kill them. I suggest talking to your vet if you are concerned about your cats behavior. 

Yes, cats don't try to kill the baby, but it can happen accidentally because they lay on the baby and suffocate her. I don't think you are overreacting at all! I would have freaked out!

Halloween Shopping
  • imagekikimo327:
    imagerMe6411:
    imagekikimo327:

imagerMe6411:

We do keep our door closed every night. But somehow she must have snuck in before DH closed it. I don't think my cat was intentionally trying to hurt the baby... I think she was just trying to make herself comfortable in there... Which could suffocate a small baby if a cat lays on it. Especially since the rnp is so small there is no where besides on the baby the cat could lay down.
    Eta: would you not overreact if you woke to find your cat laying on your baby?

personally, I never put my cats in a position to do something that I don't want them to do. Keep your door shut all day every day and you won't have to worry about her "sneaking" in. My vet also suggested keeping the cats out of LOs room, but keeping the door shut 24/7 as well. We're all tired right now, and this will save you a lot of aggravation/worry in the future. 

Thanks for the advice. I guess it is time for her to stay in the living area!

• We keep out 2 cats locked out of the bedroom 24/7 as well. It is just easier than trying to chase them out at 11pm and be sure they are out. They don't like it much and in the beginning it broke my heart because they would sit outside the door and meow but it is worth it knowing my LO is safe.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • I know the feeling!  One night I woke up to our cat standing in the ARCS while LO was sleeping and I freaked out!  We had set the ARCS up about 1 & 1/2 months before Gabe was born and "trained" him not to go in there, but I guess curiosity got the better of him.  Anyway, since the night I freaked out he hasn't tried again, and I sleep closer to the ARCS so I'm more aware if the cat is near there at night.  When we move (in November) the nursery door will be kept closed at all times from the get go, so we won't have to worry about him getting in with LO when we aren't close by. 

• I can understand freaking out because the RNP is a small area. My cat slept with me once I was a little older (like 6 months)
    Follow Me on Pinterest Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"