Toddlers: 24 Months+

Hitting

My almost 3 year old started daycare last month (he was previously with a nanny). When  I picked him up last week he was in time out because he hit someone. Then 2 days later it happened again. Then we were at the park and he was  running with his arm out and hit another kid (on purpose im betting). Since I was with him this time I walked him over to the kid, made him apologize, sat him in time out and explained that it was wrong to hit. 

How do I correct this behavior? I know he learned it at daycare and at first I thought he was acting out because he was bored (until he hit the kid at the playground). Tonight he hit me on the face as I was putting him to bed and I very sternly told him it was wrong but does he understand? I asked him if he knew why he was in time out and he said "i hit mommy". I dont want this to become a habit so I need advice!

Thank you! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hitting

• I don't have advice, but DD has started to do this too, and she also just started preschool. I wonder if it's related. She hasn't done it in school so far, but she has started doing it at home. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• When DS started hitting us, we would very gently put his hands to his side and tell him he had to use 'nice hands'.  That hitting was not nice and hurts mommy and daddy.  He started getting it pretty quickly and knows that if we say 'nice hands' he stops.

I should add that this is what his daycare recommended we try. 

• Loading the player...
  • When DD hits us, it's because we have removed her from a situation and she is upset about it (for example if she is throwing food and we make her leave the table).  So when she starts hitting, I say, "mama likes gentle touches" and stroke her hand over my arm to show her gentle.  Usually this works, if not she goes behind the gate for a time out until she can control her little body.  

Do you think he hit the other kid at the park because he was being provoked in some way, or do you think that's part of how he is trying to get attention or relate to other kids?  

It sounds like based on what you are telling us it might be the latter.  So maybe you could try having him go up and say he's sorry as you did and then say something like, "Other kids don't like hitting, they like high fives."  Maybe by suggesting an appropriate way to interact with other kids he will use that next time.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"