Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding to Formula

Ive decided to start supplementing with formula. Because Ive noticed that no matter how long my son BFs he is still hungry. But when I give him formula he is content. So im thinking im going to stop BFing all together. But im wondering how long will it take for me to stop producing milk?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breastfeeding to Formula

• Could it be that he is comfort nursing? I know at 4 weeks old my son still nursed a lot, about every hour, but it did get better. It was more to do with comfort than actually being still hungry. 
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree.  He is probably comfort nursing.  If you think you might want to try stick it out a little longer, get some good DVDs and sit on the couch and just enjoy snuggling with your little guy! 

If you do still decide you want to wean, it may take awhile for you to dry up (weeks, maybe months?).  I would definitely do it gradually, so you won't get mastitis. 

Good luck to you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I thought that might be the case, but im not sure. This is only the second day that Ive been giving him formula in between feeding and it seems to help him sleep longer. 

I also had a problem with my first were I  wasnt producing enough. And I think that might be happening again.

• I wasnt planning on stopping this early. And im still trying to BF as much as I can. During the day I supplement in between. But when he wakes up in the middle of the night I only BF. Im just really stuck. Im having a hard time really trying to decide what to do. Because I feel like if I stop all together im a failure, but at the same time with how many times he BF during the day and still being hungry its taking a toll on me
  • Your supply is going to drop if you supplement a feeding with formula and don't pump during that time. Your body will realize that it doesn't need to make as much milk and you will actually make less milk by giving formula. You should be pumping if you want your supply to increase.
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • All of these ladies have great advice, the only thing I'll add is check out Kellymom.com. It's a great website with tons of bf'ing info.
  • At 4 weeks baby girl was on the breast 24 7. I just stuck it out for a week to see if it got better and it did. Might wanna try that?
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAmyG*:

It sounds like you want to breastfeed.

So the first advice I will give you is to put up the formula unless you are not seeing enough wet diapers.

Are you seeing at least 6-8 wet and or poopy diapers a day?

Are you nursing baby 10-12 times a day? They stomach is the size of their fist, and it needs FREQUENT refilling.  Expect baby to want to eat every 2-2.5 hours around the clock, or they may eat every 2 hours during the day and every 3-4 hours at night.  But frequent eating is normal, expected, and good for baby.  Overeating stretches out their stomach and makes it harder for them to feel satisfied even if they are getting enough calories. 

so how often are you nursing? one side or both sides? how long does baby nurse? Do you hear active nursing, sucking and swallowing at first and then it slows down? You mentioned low supply before--was this just that baby lost weight after birth? or had difficulty regaining birthweight by 2 weeks of age? how much formula have you been giving baby between feedings?

Realize that yes, formula will often make baby seem more content for longer.  Formula takes longer to digest, it has indigestible curds that sit in the stomach and make baby feel full longer.  Then baby misses their next breastmilk feeding, and if you gave 1 oz of formula you need to pump to get 1 oz of breastmilk or your supply will go down.  so then it becomes have to give formula instead of wanting to give formula.  kwim?

So back up, re-set your expectations and read up on what is normal at www.kellymom.com  Then work to lower the formula supplementation, encourage baby to nurse MORE often to re-up your milk supply, and keep an eye on the diaper count.  need a minimum of 6-8 but you may see 10-12 a day.  if you get that diaper count that means baby is getting enough.

to help baby feel more satisfied between feedings, be sure you are nursin primarily on one side, use breast compressions and massage to keep baby interested in side # 1 longer, then burp for several minutes and offer side #2 as dessert.  sometimes baby wont' need side #2, and sometimes they will.  Switching sides too soon can mean baby gets more foremilk and won't stay full as long.

REalize also that to a newborn, nursing = survival.  They don't really understand there is anything else to life.  They spent 9 months feeling no hunger at all, always getting instant nutrition, and ALWAYS being held close to mom.  wanting to nurse is a way for baby to get that connection back, to get held often, and that need to be held is just as important as anything else.  nursing ensures mom can't swaddle them up tightly and put them down. 

Amy G gives really great advice around here.  One thing I did want to add is just be careful with the diapers.  My DD had tons of diapers but was not getting enough.  She only gained 1 oz. in 2 weeks even though she had 9-10 wet and 3-4 poopy diapers.  Weird I know.  You really have to do a weighed feeding to see how much your LO is getting.  A LC can do this for you or sometimes at the pedi's office they can do it.  Also keep track of your LO weight gain.  I actually purchased a baby scale and used that at home to make sure my DD was still gaining weight appropriately as I worked to cut back on the supplements.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"