April 2013 Moms

Garage/yard sales...

I know this isn't everyone's gig... but I LOVE yard sales.  Espeically when you get a home that keeps their stuff in great shape and you're getting away w/ a ton of stuff for very little.

A friend of mine is having a boy in Feb and she stocked up today...

After talking to her I realized that although I can not buy boy or girl things I could stock up on recieving blankets and maybe swaddle blankets.  (of course only if in great shape and I'd be washing them myself)

Anything else you gals can think of that I can totally get a deal on that may save me in the end?  (plus can you ever have enough burp rags?)

I'm a BIG bargain shopper and I love good ol' hand me downs when it comes to staples.  Of course I can't bring myself to buy anything big just yet but why not get the staples?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Garage/yard sales...

• Perhaps a swing. Obviously make sure that the fabric comes completely off so it can be laundered. I would only buy one if it was one you currently see on the market. If you have a smart phone you can google items and make sure there aren't any recalls. I bought a bumbo at a garage sale. You can also buy onesies & socks. Or some gender neutral items (sleepers, layettes, etc). Good luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 6/28/12 EDD 03/07/13 MC 4w5d 07/03/12 new baby
    BabyName Ticker
    BFP 07/30/12 EDD 04/09/13
  • Thanks

Now I am super pumped to go back out again tomorrow! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I live in a great community that is always having yard sales.  I will be hitting them up for some basics like little blankies and burp rags.
    image BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'd also check for things like a Pack N Play, swing or bouncer. I know we've kept ours in great shape and will sell it at a garage sale when the time comes. I wish I'd bought a used swing. We got an expensive one and Ava hated it. Hopefully #2 likes it ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would really avoid blankets...only because you'll likely get a thousand, ok maybe that's a slight exaggeration, at your shower (assuming you're having one). Seriously...I got so many swaddle blankets and regular blankets. If you see the Swaddle Me blankets (they're like swaddle sacks) I would get those though. The only ones I received of those were ones I registered for.

Gender neutral pajamas...footsie pajamas.  Plain onesies. Bibs.

And big items like a swing, exersaucer, jumperoo...assuming they look clean and well taken care of.  Toys for when they're a little older...specifically a learning table. Callie loved hers from a young age. The one we have legs come off so the top can just sit on the floor, for before they're able to stand.

I love yard sales too! Have fun shopping!

~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • A bestie of mine works for head start and she says the only things to not buy used is a crib and car seats ANYTHING else can be cleaned, laundered, an reused! We went to a huge community garage sale today but I am nervous to buy anything baby until the second ultrasound, buying stuff makes it seem so real!
    Together happily for 7 years, Married March 2012--Buckle up! BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got a nice bassinet today for $40 that was brand new.  They said that their baby didn't like it so they never used it.  I also got a nice, newer cradle swing for $35.  I googled both items and found that I saved about $150 between the two. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• The big neighborhood area I live in had a giant community garage sale yesterday and I cleaned up! :) I got a gender neutral colored bouncy seat (still on the market), some onesies, some Hallowee PJs that should fit next Halloween, a Christmas fleece sleeper for next Christmas, another fleece sleeper, and maternity clothes.

Another thing I've learned about since becoming pregnant are semi-annual children's consignment sales. There was one in my area last week and there is another one coming up in Mid-October. These aren't regular consignment shops, but giant sales with baby, children's, and maternity items. They may have something like this in your area.

BFP #1 - EDD 4/18/13 | DS born 5/1/13. 9 lbs. 14 oz., 22 inches long.

BFP #2 - EDD 1/25/16
  • Craigslist is excellent, too!  They have an entire section for baby and kid stuff.  In a few minutes, I'm actually about to drive over and pick up a wooden changing table (for $10!) that I found on there.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Team Blue! Orrin Myles, EDD 4/27/13

• imageRunnerMeg:
    The big neighborhood area I live in had a giant community garage sale yesterday and I cleaned up! : I got a gender neutral colored bouncy seat still on the market, some onesies, some Hallowee PJs that should fit next Halloween, a Christmas fleece sleeper for next Christmas, another fleece sleeper, and maternity clothes.Another thing I've learned about since becoming pregnant are semiannual children's consignment sales. There was one in my area last week and there is another one coming up in MidOctober. These aren't regular consignment shops, but giant sales with baby, children's, and maternity items. They may have something like this in your area.

I Went to the Rhea Lana sale in my area and they had some pretty nice stuff.

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

• imageRunnerMeg:

Another thing I've learned about since becoming pregnant are semi-annual children's consignment sales. There was one in my area last week and there is another one coming up in Mid-October. These aren't regular consignment shops, but giant sales with baby, children's, and maternity items. They may have something like this in your area.

We have this in Minnesota.  It's called "Munchkin Market" and it takes place twice a year.  The Twin Cities one is held (where else?) at the State Fair grounds.

We CLEANED UP at this thing.  We got a Zooper all-terrain stroller for $60 (retails about $300 and is in excellent condition) plus a ton of clothes.  We focused on 3-6 month clothes, knowing we'd probably receive a lot of new born stuff at showers.  Most of the clothes were new with tags on or barely worn and cheap.  

We really don't roll with gender stereotyping when it comes to clothes, so we bought whatever appeals to us.

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • I may or may have not just bought some little girl's clothes yesterday at a yard sale.  I can dream!  And it was only $1.00 so I think it's a good investment.  If I don't have a girl, I'll just give it to my SIL who is expecting a girl.
    Young and in Love.
    11.07.09 <3<BR> From Hightops to Flatlands: My Blog
    BabyFruit Ticker Labor Buddies! TheSinger & Jennery!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"