Baby Names

Blanca with a non-ethnic name?

DH has a very "white bread" last name - I kept my maiden name because I am a professional and was already established in my field.  I like the name Blanca and it flows with DH's last name, but was wondering if it will sound strange to people with a non-ethnic last name.  Thoughts?

Re: Blanca with a non-ethnic name?

• I think it's fine. 

If you are in an inter-racial relationship I think your kid could get away with having a bi-cultural name.  I might even do that on purpose to help the kid embrace both backgrounds. (I'm inferring that your maiden name is not "white bread" and that Blanca is indicative of your ethnicity, I apologize if I've jumped to the wrong conclusion).

I'm not sure what a non-ethnic name is.  I think you mean not Spanish, or not Latino, or not Italian...  Even if you're using a caucasian viewpoint as the "norm," caucasians still have ethnicity (and names tend to reflect a nationality anyway... "white" people tend to have English/Irish/Welsh/Norwegian/Swiss/Polish/German/etc last names).

You might also consider Bianca.  It has a similar sound/meaning, but is more common with "white bread" last names.

• I think it would be okay. Lots of ethic sounding first names have gone main stream and are being used on children who have no ethnic ties to the names. (ie Olivia, Gabriella, Aidan, MacKenzie.) I don't seen why Blanca couldn't go this way too.  I think it is much more wearable than say, Guadalupe, one of my GP names, which would sound ridiculous paired with my generic Scottish LN.

If you are feeling a little unsure of it, I think PP's suggestion of Bianca is a great alternative. 

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I like it.  I think it's fine with a non-ethnic name.  This is sexist, but I mostly only think ethnic first names sound bad with plain vanilla last names on boys.  For girls I think pretty much anything goes.   Maybe it's because I'm used to the unusual combinations since most women end up getting married, so it's not that unusual to hear an exotic first name with a plain old American last name. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"