Babies: 3 - 6 Months

crawling, how early?

my daughter is 17 weeks( 4 months) and she is starting to try to crawl, and we are taking her to PT  for torticollis. which she has a very mild case of. the PT LADY made it seem like she should be crawling and sitting up on her own. I thought it was to early, but now im not sure. she has great neck control and she has been sitting in her exso-saucer for weeks and her bumbo too, but sitting on her own is not gonna happen. should i be worried that she is behind?

Re: crawling, how early?

• no way, I'm under the impression that sitting unassisted is 6 months and crawling is closer to 8 months if at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • way too early...I'm surprised a PT wouldn't know this and worry you like that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Seems too early to me. I think the most important thing is if they're progressing, which it sounds like she is.
    www.lulukangaroo.com Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Crawling is usually 7-10 months.  DD started around 8.5mo.  I think she was sitting unassisted around 5.5mo.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Oh no, I don't think they start to crawl until closer to at least 6 months (and some never crawl - just skip it altogether). They also rarely sit on their own until closer to 5 months if not later.

DD doesn't even act like she's considering crawling, and while she's a great sitter with my support there's no way that she's ready to do that on her own yet! Maybe in another month. 

• My LO is just now being able to sit on his own - for like a minute, then he topples.  He's about 5.5 months old.

I think crawling is a ways off for sure - he loves being on his tummy and will plank all the time, but as far as getting anywhere?  No way, no how. 

• No way. At four months sitting in an exersaucer or Bumbo is right on track. Unassisted sitting is between 5 and 7 and crawling is a huge guessing game. They may never crawl. DS scoots backwards across the living room. His arms go underneath him and he pushes himself backward on his belly. Better than my brother who never crawled but while on his back would pull his feet up to his butt then scoot backwards scraping the back of his head against the floor everywhere he went.
  • imageIgnatusDem:
    no way, I'm under the impression that sitting unassisted is 6 months and crawling is closer to 8 months if at all.
    Yup
  • I'm surprised the PT told you that. My DD is 18wks and goes 3x's a week for torticollis as well and the PT was shocked that DD can even push her torso up while doing tummy time. I think sitting up assisted is right where they should be at this point. Keep up the good work mama!

• Our ds started trying to crawl around 4.5 months...shocked the crap out of us! He's now been crawling all over the place for about 2 weeks, and he turns 6 months on Oct 11th....really shocks the crap out of us!

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"