February 2013 Moms
Options

L&D Tour

When are you, or for STM's when did you, do your Labor and Delivery tour?  Our hospital offers them with your birthing class, but we are taking an outside Bradley based class, so we have to sign up for a separated L&D tour.  Part of me want to do it now, just because I'm impatient and curious of their procedures, but part of me feels like I should wait until we start the Bradley class, which isn't until November. 

Re: L&D Tour

• Options
    I have no idea when to go or what goes on with that with my hospital. I tried lookin it up on the hospital web page since no one at the doctors office had mentioned anything to me about anything having to do with classes or tours at all but just found an online tour of the facility. I'm wondering if that's all thy have for the hospital I'll be going to. Is that possible?

I'm pretty impatient too but I don't think November sounds too late to do a tour of the hospital. For me it would actually sound too early as I tend to forget things and would rather go in closer to my due date.
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    I didn't schedule a formal tour, my mom and I were up at the hospital for an appointment and stopped in. A very nice nurse was happy to show us around. I don't think this is typical, though, I've heard they usually offer tours just once a month and you have to call and get on the list. I think it's a good idea to do it early, I really wanted reassurance that I'd made the right decision on a provider (and had time to switch to a different office to deliver elsewhere if I felt that necessary). It made me feel good about my choices, and the nurse we met was fantastic. She showed us the OR in the event we need a C-section, talked to us about policies, I asked if I could bring certain items, what items they had (like a birthing ball).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The hospital we are delivering at suggests around 28 weeks.  I signed up for the classes months ago (also start around 28 weeks) and I am going to sign us up for a tour soon too.  Our classes are in December and we will probably take the tour right before Thanksgiving!
    Baby #1 Due 2/21/13!
  • Options

It's only offered once per month (on a Monday night at like 8:00pm!) at mine, so I guess I had better get on that.  I'll have to get a babysitter!  I only have about 3 opportunities left!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageanglgrl718:
    I have no idea when to go or what goes on with that with my hospital. I tried lookin it up on the hospital web page since no one at the doctors office had mentioned anything to me about anything having to do with classes or tours at all but just found an online tour of the facility. I'm wondering if that's all thy have for the hospital I'll be going to. Is that possible? I'm pretty impatient too but I don't think November sounds too late to do a tour of the hospital. For me it would actually sound too early as I tend to forget things and would rather go in closer to my due date.

The problem is, you never know when the baby's going to come! 

I had my L&D tour around 26 weeks, which I thought was really early. But then at 27 weeks I had to go in for bleeding and was very glad that I had already done the tour and knew where I was going and what to expect for procedure. I had to go in again at 29 weeks for timetable BH ctx (every 7 min for 2 hrs), and then went in at 33w5d, when I was admitted for beginning HELLP and delivered at 34w1d. In other words - I was very, very happy I had done my L&D tour early. If I had waited until I got close to term, it would have been a moot point anyway since DD was already born!

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    I did mine around 24 weeks I believe. I was switching OB's which meant switching hospitals so it was a make it or break it decision. If I ended up not liking that hospital I had to start my search over for a new OB so the earlier I did the tour the better. 
    ega Pictures, Images and Photos support our troops Pictures, Images and Photosega Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm starting to lean towards sooner than later too.  Mainly because I want to be certain I am comfortable delivering there.  I love my doctor, but because he is so busy, this is the only hospital he delivers at.  I want to make sure I won't have to change doctors, especially since I kind of have a bad association with the hospital because my sister delivered there recently had had a bad experience.  Though I think that her bad experience was more her fault, as she is young and didn't prepare herself at all, and ended up having an emergency c/s.  So I guess I'm hoping that the tour will help me shake my bad association, and therefore I won't have to change doctors.
  • Options
    I just got back from tour today! The tour was required to complete the registration.  I was given the registration package from my midwife.  The information was very basic, they showed us the different room options, where to go when you arrive, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am doing mine on Oct. 11th.  I'll be 24 weeks.  I decided to do it then because I have the 1 hour glucose test and I figured it would give me something to do while I wait.  The hospital I'm going to does it any time they just prefer that you call first to let them know you are coming.  I'm really excited.  Hospitals do things very different than they did 7 years ago.
  • Options
    I toured my L&D floor before we started TTC. It's how I picked my doctor/hospital. 
    K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We are taking our birthing classes at our local hospital because they are free but we are delivering at a hospital an hour away because we are considered high risk. The same class there is $100 so we got lucky!

We plan on doing a maternity tour at the other hospital after we take the birthing class at the other hospital. I am going to call sometime in the next week to see how far in advance we need to schedule that tour. I don't know if they do private or group tours. I would prefer private because it's more personal and we have some personal questions we would like answered.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"