Infertility

Clomid and IUI Round 1

Hi all.  My husband and I have been trying to conceive for about 10 months and after some test results, we met with a reproductive endocrinologist and have started our first cycle of clomid and IUI.  The IUI will likely be at the end of this week.  This entire process feels overwhelming.  The daily blood tests are horrible for me as I have very thin veins.  I hear that my chances are only 10-20% with clomid and IUI in any given cycle.  This seems like such depressing odds.  It feels as if everyone I know is getting pregnant and it is just so hard to go through this.  I have not spoken with any friends about this because it just feels too personal.  I only talk with my husband, mom and sister about my daily worries.  They don't know what to say to me anymore so I figured I would try a different outlet.  I just don't want to feel so alone.  I am trying to relax and remain positive but I am finding it next to impossible.  Any advice on ways to stress less and get through this?  Anyone know of any IUI success stories? 

Re: Clomid and IUI Round 1

• Hello and welcome. I'm sorry you're going through such a difficult time right now. I can certainly relate to everything you're saying and it can be great to have some sort of support system, whether in person, online, etc. I would suggest you check out the Trouble TTC board as many of the women will be in similar situations as you. A lot of the ladies on here are in more advanced stages of IF and treatment. Best of luck to you.
    I suck at getting pregnant
    I really suck at staying pregnant
  • Lots of people have success with clomid and IUI. Unfortunatly I was not one of them but that doesn't mean that you won't be a success story! The entire process stops being fun when doctors are involved and I completely understand your frustrations. For me clomid also maximized my feelings...I cried a ton when I took it and was angry a lot which is more than my normal personality.

I've done clomid and was monitored with u/s and b/w but I definitely didn't have to go daily. Is there a particular reason they're doing daily blood draws for you?

Unmedicated and medicated IUI's: all fail
    IVF #1: Dec 2012 16m/15f 12/9: 5dt of 2 beautiful blasts and 5 frosties
    TWINS!
    15w4d:baby a-pProm
    March 25: 18w...2 baby boys born sleeping
    July 29: FET-BFN

Sept: TAC placed

Oct 27: FET #2-Cancelled-monster cyst producing insane amounts of estrogen

Nov 13: FET #2-take 2
    imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Welcome.

I know how stressful this is. Regarding Clomid and IUI - it is effective and does work for some people and I hope you are one of them.  Do you ovulate on your own?  If not, you have an even better chance of Clomid being effective.  In my case, although I ovulate on my own, I actually produced more follicles with Clomid than with my first injectable cycle (strange), so you never know.

Regarding the blood tests - to this I can TOTALLY relate.  I don't hear many people complain about them, so thought it was unusual that I have such trouble with them.  My clinic seems to require more blood tests than a lot of others (I've just had 8 in a row on 8 consecutive days for what was supposed to be our first IVF).

I too have small veins and only 1 that is semi-okay in my arm. After days of blood tests, my arms are bruised and can no longer be used.

I have tried everything so I'll tell you what works for me.

First - drink a lot of water.  I start a couple days before I know I'll start needing blood tests as being hydrated helps a bit.  

Second - ask for the butterfly needle if they aren't already using it.  I find I bruise a bit less (and occasionally not at all) if they use the smaller butterfly.  I bruise after 1 blood test every time if they use the regular needle.  

Third - make sure to apply hard pressure to the blood test site immediately after your blood is drawn for at least 5 minutes.  It will cut down on bruising and make the next draw easier.

Fourth - Heat!  This is the biggest thing for me. When I'm going to my appointment I blast the heat until it is unbearable.  It plumps up your veins and makes it much easier.

Lastly, I've found this month that my hands (after a lot of heat) are MUCH easier to have my blood drawn from than my arm.  I was worried at first as people said the hands hurt more, but I've had it done the last 2 days and much prefer it.  They hit the vein easily the first time (earlier this week I was poked 4 times in my arm for 1 blood draw) and I didn't find it hurt any worse than the arm.

Good luck!  I hope this is the only cycle you need. 

Me: 36 DH: 38 Diminished Ovarian Reserve Low AMH Borderline/High FSH TTC for 3 years IUIs = BFN IVF#1 - September 2012 (hopefully) Short cycle with natural start = converted to IUI
  • imagethinkpositive28:
    Hi all.  My husband and I have been trying to conceive for about 10 months and after some test results, we met with a reproductive endocrinologist and have started our first cycle of clomid and IUI.  The IUI will likely be at the end of this week.  This entire process feels overwhelming.  The daily blood tests are horrible for me as I have very thin veins.  I hear that my chances are only 10-20% with clomid and IUI in any given cycle.  This seems like such depressing odds.  It feels as if everyone I know is getting pregnant and it is just so hard to go through this.  I have not spoken with any friends about this because it just feels too personal.  I only talk with my husband, mom and sister about my daily worries.  They don't know what to say to me anymore so I figured I would try a different outlet.  I just don't want to feel so alone.  I am trying to relax and remain positive but I am finding it next to impossible.  Any advice on ways to stress less and get through this?  Anyone know of any IUI success stories? 

I am sorry you are going through this but I have been in your exact same position.  I am currently on my 3rd IUI (should be triggering today or tomorrow) and both of my IUIs were successful. 

My first IUI resulted in a chemical pregnancy.

My second IUI resulted in a pregnancy that ended in a miscarriage at 10w5d.

I am ready to start my next IUI soon and I am super hopeful.

I understand where you are coming from as far as letting friends in on your personal issues.  I was the same way but I found as I became more comfortable with the fact that my husband and I were having fertility issues, I found that I told my closest friends.  It is really nice to have a bigger support group, especially of people who love you and will not judge you.

Good luck and I hope everything works out.

• I don't have any experience with IUI, but I just wanted to say welcome and good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"