Success after IF

Question for those who got KU on their own after fertility treatments failed..

So as my siggy shows we had a miracle bfp after 3 failed ivf cycles. We have a beautiful 14 week old little boy who is just the most precious thing I have ever seen :) Amazingly we are now considering number 2. DH is convinced that because we conceived on our own for DS that we can do it again for number 2... But I think we will need to go through fertility treatments again. If you conceived your first on your own and had a second baby did you conceive number 2 naturally our did you use ART? If you tried first to conceive naturally then went to ART, how long did you give it before moving on to ART? We are both 35 years old and don't think we have a lot of time left so don't want to wait too long for number 2..we know our first was truly a miracle and are hoping that we wil be blessed with one more bundle of joy.
***SAIF & PAIF Welcome***

TTC since November 2008; me - poor egg quality,hypothyroidism,missing beta 3 integrin;
DH - some MFI;

1 month clomid plus timing - BFN;
3 months clomid + IUI - BFN BFN BFN

IVF #1 Nov/Dec 2009 - BFP - c/p;
IVF #2.1 Jan 2011 - Converted to IUI - BFN;
IVF #2.2 March/April 2011 - ER 3/23/11: 12 retrieved, 8 mature, 3 fert-ET 3dt 3/26/11: 3 embies - BFN;
IVF #3 May 2011 - ER 5/19/11: 20 retrieved, 10 mature, 9 fert-ET 5dt 5/24/11 3 embies - BFN;
Switched RE's for IVF #4 (CCRM) Oct 2011 - Surprise BFP before starting IVF #4!

Re: Question for those who got KU on their own after fertility treatments failed..

• We never used protection after DD was born but I did EBF. I starting charting a little and using OPKs when she turned 6 months old. I had to wean her in order to get AF back. We basically gave ourselves one cycle of trying on our own but that was mostly because we couldn't see the RE until I had weaned her for a least a month. We got a BFP that first cycle even with MFI. I can't see your siggy so I think diagnosis would play some role in whether to try on your own or not along with age.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Could lightning strike twice in the same place?  Sure.  Is it likely to do so?  Probably not. 

(I apologize if the blunt reply is not welcome).

We've all heard stories of people who get PG easier shortly after having a baby, but I think it depends a lot on the cause of your infertility.  I see from your siggy that your issues appear to be egg quality and MFI.  Having a baby recently would not have improved either of those issues, so I wouldn't count on a second miracle happening. 

You might want to consider asking some of your questions over on the Secondary Infertility board for ladies who are deadling with IF issues now after having had a child already.  They may be able to give you more insight into how long they waited, etc.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We had to use clomid/IUI to get pg with #1 - it was our third clomid cycle, second IUI and if it didn't work we were moving on to IVF.  Our diagnosis was a blocked tube for me and low morph for DH.  After DS was born, we didn't use any protection, weaned at 6 months to TTC again.  We had made an RE appointment for 2 months after I weaned, but I never got AF...that was my surprise BFP with DD.  It took 19 months for DS with clomid/IUI, and one weekend away with DD.  

We decided to TTC #3 when DD was a year.  I BF'ed until 7 months, then we used protection until she was a year old.  After that, it took 6 months to get a BFP, and then I had a m/c.  After that it took another 4 months and we got another BFP - and so far so good!  We were only giving it one year of TTC, then we were giving up.  We already had 2, so we weren't going to go through treatment again.  And we were almost to our 1 year mark when it finally happened!  

Good luck!  I hope it happens for you again soon Smile 

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think your best bet is to continue with the therapies if there are known problems.  We had our first two DD's after 12 months and 15 months of treatments, and then this pregnancy was a surprise.  Surprises are nice, but you can't count on them.
  • My husband also thinks that bc we got pregs on our own once that none of the IF docs knew what they were talking about and that there were no issues all along ... so annoying.

Try for a couple of months when you LO is really young so you can tell your husband you tried, and if it doesn't happen I'd head down the treatment path again.   

*My Loves, My Life, My Littles*

02/18/11, 05/24/12 and 12/03/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"