Parenting

Please school me! CD

I know very little about cloth diapers. Is it ever too late to start? I have a 5 month old a 2.5 year old. I'm sick of buying diapers for my 2.5 year old I'm hoping his potty training strike will end soon. Would I mess him up to go from diapers to CD while potty training? Are they one size fits all, that's sorta what I'm seeing online? Also how well do they work over night? Do you put extra padding in or something? How often do you have a leak? What else do I need to know????
TIA
Bumping from phone sorry if any errors also going to bed, so look forward to continue this in the morning
ETA : do you diaper service or wash your own? If you wash you own, is there something special you have to do? Like special soap or something? I know about the toilet hose thing....

Re: Please school me! CD

• It's never too late IMO. And CDs are kinda helpful during PTing cuz a wet diaper isn't as comfy as a disposable is.

My, large for his age, DS has been wearing large BumGenius since he was 6 months old. He's now 22 months and they are still awesome. He's tall and skinnier now.

I never got into the sized CDs since DS grew so fast. Sunbaby makes cheap diapers that Worked great for months.

I used cottonbabies.com for a lot of help.

SEAHAWKS! And... Macklemore. Seattle's WINNING! 
  • For washing in our front loader:
    Cold rinse with water plus
    Hot wash with water plus
    2rinse cycles

We use Country Save for detergent.

• Loading the player...
  • It's never to late to start! There are some that are one size. Even still they can fit differently. The only time a one size doesn't fit is if they are too little (newborn) or too big. Which I've only ever seen them fit like that on very large toddlers. I like Bum Genius OS dipes. They seem to be the common fave too.

Also, cloth can help with potty training. You could do prefolds and covers for your toddler to get them used to knowing when they feel wet. This is a relatively cheap option too. Since 2 dozen prefolds will run you about 30-40$ and then covers are about 10-15$ and you only need a few. 

If your sick of buying dipes, then I would look here too. I CD'd Rosie for 18 months, then switched due to severe depression after my miscarriage. I hate the sposies. It's been super annoying. Care of your dipes is easy. I just shook solids into the toilet, tossed into my pail, then cold rinse, hot wash, and a few rinses. I use Rock n Green detergent. You can just order it online. It takes some getting used to, but once you are used to it it's easy and kind of addicting!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • For a bigger baby/toddler, I think Kawaii's are great, and so affordable. Bum Genius are generously sized, too.Rumparooz are small, and expensive though. Washing is easy, and I actually found that I can use grocery store brand soap with no problem, and some peeps use Tide. Once you get the hang of it, it's really no big deal!
  • All of this is awesome info. Thanks ladies.... But I feel like I keep having new questions.
    Any of your LO's go to daycare? How does daycare handle CD? I'm worried my 5 month old will "feel wet" easier and stop STTN, am I worried about nothing?
  • imagechapski:
    All of this is awesome info. Thanks ladies.... But I feel like I keep having new questions.
    Any of your LO's go to daycare? How does daycare handle CD? I'm worried my 5 month old will "feel wet" easier and stop STTN, am I worried about nothing?

My LO doesn't go to daycare but I've heard some DCPs won't use CDs.

I used to use a double stuffed CD for overnight but it wasn't enough for my super wizzer. So I do use sposies for overnight. He pees much less now so I could probably try again... but honestly I would prefer to sleep all night than risk it.

• I'm a lurker here, but I thought I'd add my two cents.  We CD and send DS to daycare during the day.  We only send pocket diapers and AIOs to daycare.  We also send a wet bag each day for the dirty diapers.  We asked all the daycare providers we interviewed if they would have a problem with the CDs and we didn't have anyone object (2 in-home providers and 2 centers).  I also brought along a diaper to show them how easy it is (ie, just like a disposable as far as putting it on).  We take home the dirty diapers each night and send fresh ones in the morning along with a clean wet bag.  We also send diaper cream that is safe for cloth diapers.  We've never had a complaint and it's worked out well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We use BumGenius 4.0 pocket diapers, which are one size. They have fit Evie since she was about 2 months old, and today we're still on the middle rise setting, so I'm pretty sure they're going to make it through to potty training. Many brands do sell larger "toddler" diapers though if your kid grows out of the one size.

We're not there yet, but I've heard that CDs can help a kid potty train faster bc they do feel a little bit of wetness. If you went with PP's suggestion of using prefolds on your 2.5 year old, they'd feel even more wetness and that could help speed things along. Also, a lot of brands sell really nice trainers- check out the Training Pants page on kellys closet: https://www.kellyscloset.com/Training-Pants_c_651.html

Nighttime there are lots of options- the easiest would be to stuff a pocket diaper with extra absorbancy. Hemp is widely recommended, I just started using it instead of fitteds overnight and it works great!!

I love love LOVE CDing and definitely recommend checking it out. See if there's a local store in your area that sells them- a lot of little maternity/baby boutiques in my area just started offering them over the last year or so, and now we have a little cloth diaper store that I love! They'll often let you try things on your kid, which is great. :) If there isn't anything local, check out the trials mentioned above- then you can a feel for the different styles of diapers, and what fits your kids well. HTH and ask more questions if you've got em! 

imageimage
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DD born 4/25/11
    m/c 8/10/13 at 5.5 weeks
    missed m/c 4/15/14 at 11.5 weeks, D&C 4/17/14
    BFP 6/22/14, Scheduled c/s 2/23/15, It's a Girl!!  

• If you try some Bumgenius diapers, they might fit both kids. My BFF CDed her 2u2 withe the same diapers.

I love my BGs. Once you get into a routine, it's so easy. There is also the feeling of supiorority when you CD.

The only leaks I have have been user error. My mom doesn't get the front all the way flat when she puts then on and that is when we get a leak. We have yet to have a blowout.
    I make cute babies.

IMG_0872

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imagechapski:
    All of this is awesome info. Thanks ladies.... But I feel like I keep having new questions. Any of your LO's go to daycare? How does daycare handle CD? I'm worried my 5 month old will "feel wet" easier and stop STTN, am I worried about nothing?

My DD went to daycare for over a year using CD's. If they try to give you hassle with it then bring in a pocket dipe and show them. For the most part most centers will allow cloth, the directors just don't know it. With DD I brought in a days wort of dipes and a large wetbag, when I picked her up I took the wetbag home. No biggie.

As for feeling wet. I used a Bum Genius 4.0 pocket diaper stuffed with 1 microfiber insert and 1 hemp insert Dd is a heavy wetter at night and this worked great! They have a mirco fleece liner that makes the babies feel dry by wicking away moisture. Adding a fleece liner to fitteds or prefolds at night will do the same thing. DD never felt wet at night and would sleep 12+ hours starting at 6-7 months.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"