Pre-School and Daycare

How does your LO do "downtime" or quiet time?

DS has just started a 5 days a week pre-K. Its state funded so attendance all 5 days (8am-3pm) is mandatory. He seems fine at school, teacher says he is great, pleasure to have, etc.. However, he is REALLY struggling at home. *Every* *single* *day* is a struggle in the afternoons with meltdowns. He is exhausted,  and overwhelmed at the end of the day. Some quiet, down time in the afternoons helps, but I am not sure how to do that. He responds best to an hour of games on my phone or TV, but this seems like a poor habit to encourage. Plus, he then has a melt down when its time to turn it off (we tried using a  timer, saying "only one episode", etc.  - nothings working.) The other problem is that DS2 cant give him any space - our house is tiny so there is little to no separation for them.  Any ideas ? Help!

TIA 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: How does your LO do "downtime" or quiet time?

• She does the same, watch her shows on Netflix, play games... She's good playing quietly if she has time and space to herself. Sometimes I try to go upstairs and put clothes away with the baby to stay out of her way. She kind of processes what happened during the day with her dolls or stickers.

eta: adding: she also will have a snack and sit at the table with her iPad to stay away from baby. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Wait... he's 4 and goes to school all day, 5 days a week? No wonder he's exhausted! That's too much for a 4yo IMO.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagefredalina:
    imageweddedwife:
    Wait... he's 4 and goes to school all day, 5 days a week? No wonder he's exhausted! That's too much for a 4yo IMO.
    Kids in daycare do it... But it will be a HUGE adjustment. I'd be gentle with him for at least 2 months.

I totally agree! We live in GA and its a statewide free program, otherwise we wouldn't do it. I think we are in a wait and see pattern for another month before we seriously consider moving him to a private place but that would be $900 a month we are paying that we don't have to. I agree that kids in daycare do it and he has since a baby, but the structure and "less fun play" are really too much for him at this point. ughh   

• image-auntie-:

Why is he attending a fully funded fall-day pre-K? Does he receieve special education services or his he at risk because of some health or socioeconomic issue? You mention some behaviors that could be suggestive of an underlying issue- tantrums, poor transitioning, difficulty regulating around electronic toys.

Its not special ed - its a statewide program for 4 year olds that is open to anyone in the state of GA. The reason its 5 days, full time is that there are not enough spots for everyone who wants one, so they require attendance since  you are taking a spot from someone else.  Its a question of using a free statewide public education program or paying $900 a month for a different program that is in a private daycare or 4 year old educational program.  The first question is how to get him some downtime ? and then, secondary, at what point does saving $900 become not worth the school being too much from him ? 

• Honestly, I think it sounds like it may be too much for him to handle. My 4 yr old would have major issues with that much time at school right now. He goes to a church preschool from 9-12 on 3 mornings per week.

It's less than $200 per month and he loves it. And I think he'll be fine for K next year too. Just my opinion that a preK program that lasts that long is just too much for the average 4 yr old.

But for downtime, my 4 yr old usually plays in his room with his train tracks, books, tag reader, etc. Some days he gets a 30 minute video also. He usually will play in there for up to 1.5 hrs....then I get him outside to ride his bike while his brother is still napping.

After a long day at school, I'd offer a healthy snack and some outside playtime. Then maybe when you get home, he could play in his room undisturbed for awhile.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Will he nap? It may take time but start a routine and let him rest. My son goes to PreK two half days a week and is exhausted! He HAS to nap and goes to bed early.

Or read to him, play quiet games, tell stories. I think that tv and such are too much stimulation after a busy day. Cook together!

Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Wow, that's great GA has that option! I wish more states had that for pre-K. It does sound like a long day. I'm not sure what advice to give; my boys both had a hard time last year even just 3 hrs at preschool. Took them a while to adjust. I agree that TV/electronics might not ultimately be the best way to unwind and that trying outside time, time in his room, etc., might be good. I would say if he hasn't adjusted within another month or so I'd consider pulling him out of the program.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Do they give a nap there ? Most Preschools do give a nap but maybe this program is different ? My four year old would be very cranky if he was playing/learning that long without a nap.

My son goes to an in-home daycare for 8 hours 3 days a week, where she does pre-school activities and free play. 99 % of the time he ends up taking a 1.5 hr nap at her house, whereas at home he won't get as tired and does not take a nap some days. School/daycare makes kids tired and rest is crucial for young children. If this program doesn't have a rest time then I would definitely pull my child out- free or not.  

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • My kids love puzzles so that is what I encourage when quiet time is a must.
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • DS hasn't napped since he turned 2 so we've done quiet time for a while. He goes up to his room for about 1.5 hours in the afternoon (usually 1-2:30) and we have the OK to Wake clock that lets him know when he can leave his room. He has books, puzzles and a small train set up there which keeps him pretty occupied. Once in a while, if I find that he's bored with what he has up there I'll let him bring a different toy or is LeapPad up with him. I've definitely noticed that on the days he doesn't get his down time he's a monster by dinner, so I know he still needs it. If space is an issue (if the kids share a room, etc), maybe have him do some quiet time in your room? I've also noticed that sometimes DS just wants some mommy cuddle time and since both kids "nap" at the same time, I will sometimes go into his room with him and we'll lay on the bed and read books for a while.

• Quiet time on the weekends (both girls are in school FT) is in your room with the door closed.  The girls can read, play with their stuffed animals and other small toys that they have in their room - rules are they need to be quiet so others can rest and they must stay in their room the whole time unless they need to go potty.  Most days it goes really well.  Sunday, my 4 1/2 year old told me she wasn't going to nap which I told her was fine.  When I went to get her at the end - she was laying on her floor, with her pillow and covered in a blanket fast asleep.  She had a few books with her so I know she had planned to read the whole time.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • I just read all. the other responses and am surprised that people are so against a full day PreK program.  Both of my kids have done it (younger DD is in the program now) and love it.  I guess it depends on the program.  I do agree that depending on the program, it is very different than a full day at daycare which my kids did from infants until they started the PreK program at the elementary school (DD#1 was a few months past 4 and DD#2 is 4 1/2 at the start of school).  The program uses a Reggio Emilio format and has a great amount of free play in the different centers (which are educational and fun) plus they go outside 2x a day and have a 1 hour 30 min rest time.  My DD is there from around 7am until 4pm and has no issues.  My older DD still has hard a time with the adjustment to kindergarten this year as they do sit a lot more and work compared to the PreK program.  If the full day PreK program has a good program, a child that is used to full day daycare should not have that much of an issue but all programs are different and all kids respond differently.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Wisconsin has free 4k, too, in public schools. I thought this was more common than it sounds. Our DD will be attending next year - why? Because we will save over $1500 a month in daycare costs, that's why! All of my friends who did 4k said it took a few months for the child to transition, but they do. And 4k is not that intense - it's baby steps leading up to kindergarten. They still have quiet time, play time outside, story hour, that type of thing. It's just more structured than a daycare.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"