Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Three year old afraid of pooping suddenly!!

Help!! My three year old has been dealing with irrational fears for some time now but her newest fear is effecting her day to day routine..

It'll all started last Sunday...She became a little constipated over the weekend and when she tried to poop it hurt and she instantly stopped pushing and refused to try again!  She became horribly constipated so her pediatrician had us do a suppository (totally traumatic!) it did nothing so they had us repeat it in the morning still nothing!  Next step was Miralax.  She refused to push all day, after crying in pain, fighting with me she just went, and went!  I thought after getting all cleaned out she would be fine but every day since shes refused to push!  She's in constant pain and can't play or do anything she wants to.  She's clinging to me like crazy!  Her doctor has us giving her a full cap of Miralax every day to keep things soft but she still won't let it out!  I've googled horror stories about this and am praying this doesn't turn into a major issue!  Any advice or tips on helping her push it out or overcome her fear?  My husband and I are at the end of our rope!

Re: Three year old afraid of pooping suddenly!!

• Options

Can you start small and work your way up with treats?  DD was terrified to poop in the potty.  What ended up working was 1 poop - trip to McDonalds, 3 poops - trip to McDonalds, 5 poops - trip to McDonalds, etc....until we feel she is comfortable enough with it.  It helped that we picked a prize that she was really excited about and we started small and are working our way up.  We also put a chart on the wall with each goal so that she could cross off each time that she pooped in the toilet. 

Also, her teacher at school suggested that we just make her comfortable enough on the toilet that eventually it will all fall out.  One day we sat on the toilet for a half an hour reading books and singing songs and she was right - it started to fall out and she could see that it didn't hurt.  Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

thank you for this!  exactly what we did today, sat for 15 minutes and it finally came out!  she went a few times after that on her own!  praying tomorrow more of the same continues! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"