Multiples

MoM's question about your body after...

Hi ladies!  It's been a while but I need some help/support and/or advice. I'm having a hard time accepting my new twin mommy "tummy" and I just feel awful about how I look. I've been told by my doc that a tummy tuck will be needed but another doc said that it'll go away. I'm 26 if that means anything. Anyone brave enough to tell me about their experience and what they do? Also, if you did get a tummy tuck were you done having kids? TIA 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: MoM's question about your body after...

• How many weeks did you go and did you lose the baby weight? I think I lucked out bc I only went 36 weeks even though I was huge I wasn't stretched extra weeks, and I also lost the weight quickly and gained 45 lbs. I can't say the same with the stretch marks that I grease daily! : I would recommend wearing a binder like from a c section I did that also as I did a friend who had twins that's petite.
  • I went 37 weeks and I've gotten my stomach down just the twin skin issue:-( 
  • Loading the player...
  • I just wanted to say that i think it is amazing that your babies are only 3 months old and your stomach is already down to normal. I'm still not back to my pre-pregnacy body!

What really helped me feel better was going out and buying some nice clothes that fit my new body. I packed away all my pre baby clothes and put them out of sight. But, honestly I do still struggle to feel good about myself. It's hard to live in a body that's so different than the one I was used to.  I haven't thought about a tummy tuck though, personally I'd rather take a nice vacation! 

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • imagehayleydeee:

I just wanted to say that i think it is amazing that your babies are only 3 months old and your stomach is already down to normal. I'm still not back to my pre-pregnacy body!

What really helped me feel better was going out and buying some nice clothes that fit my new body. I packed away all my pre baby clothes and put them out of sight. But, honestly I do still struggle to feel good about myself. It's hard to live in a body that's so different than the one I was used to.  I haven't thought about a tummy tuck though, personally I'd rather take a nice vacation! 

Thats my issue, my tummy isn't flat  like pre-preg but lumpy flat if that makes sense. Basically I wear shareware but I no longer need my belly bandit. However, I really don't "have clothes" I just bought a real pair of jeans and a few shirts. It most my clothes are maternity. I'm 4 sizes larger than pre-prego so I'm scared to spend the money and not have it fit when I do lose the weight. Even my shoes don't fit. I finally talked my husband into resizing my wedding ring since I couldn't wear it at 15 weeks. I just want to feel attractive again and my stomach is really bothering me. The extra skin seems like its getting worse. 

• I had my twins 2 months ago. The stretch marks don't bother me, but the saggy skin and separated ab muscles do. They are causing a round hardness in the middle of my belly with sagging skin around and below. Right now I am focusing on eating well, taking walks with my twins, and getting back to a healthy weight. I'll deal with my belly later...but would like to explore a tummy tuck at some point. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • After my painful c section I would never want to be sliced open again I couldn't imagine reliving the pain optionally with a tummy tuck!
  • I feel your pain but it does get better.....and somewhat you learn to live with it! I'm 26 as well, went 38 weeks with my boys who weighed 6-1 and 6-11 and was 110lbs pre-preg and I gained almost 50lbs. I'm now at 115lbs with no special diet or exercise but I have the twin skin and some sagging. I can honestly say it is way better then it was even a few months ago but I honestly don't know how much better it will get....in the right outfit I look as good as I did pre-preg but some clothes just dont' and probably won't ever fit the same...I think in time you learn to accept it and with time it does get better...hang in there! As to the tummy tuck question I personally would never do that but I'm sure lots do....when I'm feeling really down about it I look at my beautiful boys and know I would do it all again no matter what I looked like at the end! Shapewear when I'm getting dressed up and some new clothes (ie: higher rise pants to hide the muffin top!!) were lifesavers for me!
  • I gained 36lbs with my babies, went to 35.6 and my babies were 5.9 and 5.7lbs.  Since having the babies I have lost over 75lbs and my clothes STILL don't fit right.  I have the flabby skin and no boobs left.  I struggle with how things look everyday but since we are going to have to spend a lot of money to get another baby (we can't have any more biologically) an expensive elective surgery is out of the question for me.  I'm just working day by day to come to terms with the fact that this is what it looks like to create two humans at the same time......
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I was 25, almost 26, when I had my guys - went to 36w3&4d and they were 6# and 5#6oz. I gained 28 lbs with them and I lost all my pregnancy weight by 3 months pp. I was chubby when I got pregnant with them so it wasn't really a victory. I started exercising when they were 3 months old and lost an additional 40 lbs and my stomach is pretty flat, and my abs are in much better shape than they were even a year ago. Circuit training (30 day shred) really helped me get my stomach in shape. It took some time but it happened.
    Mom to six awesome kids - Levi is 12, Landen is 8, Gabrielle is 6, Lucas is 3, and Oliver and Samuel are 2 years old. Love my crew. Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been told to give it at least a year before making any major decisions about a tummy tuck. It can take a long time for your skin to shrink down. 
  • I'm 3 months PP and my belly has shrank down to close to what it was before but I too have quite a bit of extra skin. Not enough to really think about a tummy tuck right now, but enough to make me think about it someday. This may sound cheesy by I look at my stretched out saggy belly as battle scars lol. Its. Reminder to me of the incredible experience I got to have that so many women never get, even if I was miserable those last couple months. There's a picture with a quote I actually saw on pinterest and you may have seen it too. "A mark for every breath you took, every blink, every sleepy yawn. One for every time you sucked your thumb, waved hello, closed your eyes and slept in the most perfect darkness. One for every time you had the hiccups. One for every dream you dreamed with in me. It isn't very pretty anymore, some may even say its ugly. That's OK. It was your home. It was where I first grew to love you, where I layed my hand and dreamed about who you were and who you would be. It held you until my arms could, and for that, I will always find something beautiful in it." For some reason when ever I read that it makes it easier to except my new body. Maybe I'm just a sap right now, but for me, thats what works.
    DSC_0011MOD
    Married since June 2010
    TTC #1 since 04/2011
    3 abnormal PAPs and 2 colpo/biopsy since 09/2009
    LEEP 05/2011
    ASCUS PAP 08/2011 which means no PAP for 6 months!! YAY!!
    BFP 11/6/11!! EDD: 7/15/12
    1st u/s 11/21/11: TWINS!
    16 wks 1/30/12: BOY and GIRL!
    Schedualed c-section for 7/2/12 38wks 1day
    Went into labor 6/25/12 37wks 1day. Delivered two healthy babies
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • I was 32 when they were born, carried 11.5lbs of baby + 4 lbs of placenta, gained 45lbs. I lost 35lbs in 7 days and that.is.it. I haven't lost one more pound. I also haven't had any time to think about diet or exercise. I've have a pretty significant diastasis recti (ab muscle separation). I still feel pregnant when I try to sit up in bed. I have talked to my OB and PCP about it and they didn't have any good suggestions...other than surgery which I really would want to avoid. Who has time to recover from an optional surgery when you have infant twins?! I actually just called a physical therapist to see if I can get in for a few sessions to learn proper exercises for the ab muscles. All I know is that sit ups and "traditional" ab exercises can make the bulging stomach look worse. I just broke down and bought 4 pairs of pants in a larger size. I didn't want to do it, but know that things won't always be this hectic. In the Spring, the babies will be 1 and I will be out in the jogging stroller working on this body! They always say that it takes 9-12 months to recover from pregnancy, so I definitely wouldn't make any surgical decisions until the babies are one. I do have stretch marks, but they are already less red. I still put palmer's cocoa butter on them every day.

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

• Time time time.  OP you're still really early PP.  My twins are a little over 2 and my belly looks totally different now even than it did at 1 year PP.  I even wore a bikini on vacation last week. 

I would never get a TT unless either myself or my husband was permanently sterilized.  A surprise pregnancy post TT is extremely painful.  It's really hard for the moms and I would never want to endure that.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • I haven't had my twins yet, but I do have to concur about the shoes. Ever since I had DS, my feet have stayed a 1/2 to a full size larger! They are permanently changed because the ligaments stretched and changed because of the relaxin hormone (I had bad plantar fascitis at first when pregnant). So I sadly had to get rid of almost ALL of my shoes, I just can't wear them anymore. :(

I agree about the tummy- give it a year, the skin continues to change. I was a bit chubby pre-preggo, but I have a friend who was tiny. She was so worried at month 3- now at month 9, she is pretty much back to normal. This is with a singleton, so I know it is worse with "twin skin"- but so much can change in a few more months. I know people with twins that have had tummy tucks and are super happy with them- but ALWAYS wait until you are sure you are done having kids! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image
  • I documented the whole thing:

https://nikinikinine.blogspot.com/search/label/diastasis

https://nikinikinine.blogspot.com/search/label/postpartum

HTH!

FWIW, I am pregnant now. May or may not be done having kids. Will definitely be having a TT when I am finally done.  

• Thank you guys for the support and opinions. I do look at my boys and I'd do it again for them. It's just hard because I gained 60 with the babies and 35 before that from a prednisone treatment that I never lost. However, I'll keep my chin up and keep my ey on the prizes! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"