Stay at Home Moms

Shoe question

So my lovely little 9 month old is pretty much walking all the time now...we bought her a pair of tennis shoes so when we are in public she can get out of the stroller and walk around. Well of course she hates them and can't really walk in them. My question is to get your LO used to wearing shoes did you put them on them everyday all day? Even at home? I know it's best for them to go without shoes when learning to walk so when we are at home or my parents her shoes are off. DD really isn't in public much...not even once a week sometimes so I feel like she won't ever get used to wearing them.

April '14 Siggy Challenge:

god damn you're so effing cute gifimage

Re: Shoe question

• Both of my kids hated hard soled shoes until several months after they started walking so we try to stick with the flexible soles for a while if possible.  I do let DS "practice" in each pair of shoes for a bit before we leave the house so he doesn't freak out trying to walk in them in public.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • One question...did you get her fitted for the shoes, and are you sure they are the right size? Maybe she is having trouble due to the shoes being slightly too big?

DD also walked early and we started with soft slip-ons around eight months.  But when she was fully walking at 9 months, we had her fitted at Stride Rite for a pair of sneakers.  She had a much better time walking with the shoes once we had a good fit.

As for frequency, we would put the shoes on once a day and go practice walking outside in the yard and on the sidewalk.   This was in addition to her wearing them whenever we went out in public.  When we're in the house, it's bare feet all the time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Robeez--my kids wore them exclusively for quite a while.  That kinda paved the way for shoes for us
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Just get her Robeez or the Target knock offs.
  • imageWorcbride:
    Robeez--my kids wore them exclusively for quite a while.  That kinda paved the way for shoes for us

Mine too.  I think they wore them pretty much exclusively until about 18 months. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageariel06:

imageWorcbride:
    Robeez--my kids wore them exclusively for quite a while.  That kinda paved the way for shoes for us

Mine too.  I think they wore them pretty much exclusively until about 18 months. 

Yep or pedipeds my kids only likes soft soles shoes. I prefer pedipeds over robeez, but we had both.
  • We used generic Robeez or generic Pedipeds. I don't think any hard soled shoes are good for beginning walkers.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Ohhh ok ladies. I just looked up robeez and had never seen or heard of them. We did have her fitted so the shoes should be the right size. We did have a hard time because she curls hers toes up, even when putting socks on. We had 2 pair of soft soled little shoes but they do not have any traction so she slips wayyy too easily. I will just order her a pair of those thanks everyone!!

April '14 Siggy Challenge:

god damn you're so effing cute gifimage

• When DS started walking, we still just had him barefoot or in socks all the time (except when we were out in public).  He was wobbly at first, but got the hang of it after a few weeks.

He never wears shoes in the house, still.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"