Infertility

underweight and infertile

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS after getting off the pill and having no period for 5 months. But I am also underweight (5'2" 93 lbs 26 years old). Other than having to deal with the PCOS, my doctor would also like me to gain some weight. I have absolutely no problem with this, but I have found that impossible my entire life. I physically cannot eat enough food to gain weight no matter how much I stuff my face. We are not currently ttc but would like to start trying sometime next year (not very far away!).

Has anyone else dealt with being underweight contributing to infertility? How were you able to gain weight? Has anyone used supplements such as Ensure, Boost, protein powder, carb powder?

Thanks in advance!

Re: underweight and infertile

• I haven't had that issue, but I think that a nutritionist/dietician would probably be your best bet. I used one (to lose weight) after being sick a few years ago and it was great! S/he will be able to show you the healthiest way to gain the proper weight.
    image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***
    TTC #2 with assistance since 03/11
    Me: 33, Autoimmune (Hashimotos and FMS/CFS)
    Treated with Synthroid, acupuncture, TCM and supplements
    DH: 33, MFI (very low on all counts, high antibodies, hemochromatosis)
    Many treatments tried, none successful

IVF/ICSI #1 05/14 - EPP/Antagonist, Gonal-F and Luveris, 18R, 14M, 13F - SET of 1BC, all arrested on day 5 - C/P
    Genetic testing = normal, DNA Frag = excellent
    IVF #2 03/15 - Long protocol with Suprefact, Gonal-F, and possibly Luveris, adding in PICSI

• ********PG mentioned in this reply (not mine)*********** 

No experience with this myself, but I had a classmate who was 5'2 or 3, and she only weighed a little more than 80lbs.  She wasn't unhealthy and had a naturally small frame (as did most of the females in her fam).  She has two kids and didn't have any problems with fertility due to her weight.

Good luck to you.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• Loading the player...
  • My RE asked me to gain 5-10 pounds. I found Ensure Plus helpful.  Each has 350 cal and there's not a lot of volume.  Try two or three a day.  I also ate ice cream every night. And, just generally, I'd eat more at all meals.  Try snacking throughout the day. Nuts, yogurt, dried cranberries. It's not easy, but you can do it especially if you add Ensure into your daily routine. GL!
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • I'd like to add that the literature shows there is indeed a relationship between abnormal body weight and infertility.  Do underweight women get pregnant on their own?  Of course. But being unhealthy in any extreme can interfere with fertility.  When you're dealing with fertility issues, you want to take steps to be as healthy as possible, whether that means gaining or losing weight. 

I can't post links, but suggest reading, "Abnormal body weight: a preventable cause of infertility."  Also check out, "Influence of body mass index, BMI, on IVF outcome," on the Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago website.  

Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • I agree a nutritionist sounds like the avenue to take! They'll help you gain the healthiest way and maintain it. GL
    Jenn IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would suggest avoiding "stuffing" yourself because that will only make you feel sick & not help you gain in the long run.  Aim for calorie dense foods (dried fruits vs. fresh, natural granola bar instead of a 100 cal. one) & foods with lots of healthy fats (nuts, avocaco, olive oil).  Liquids are also easy to add because they don't fill you up - try some juices. 

My TTC Journey:
    Dx: Hypothalamic amenorrhea / mild PCOS (Pretty much a hormone/ovulatory disorder)
    Progesterone to induce period w/ the goal of Clomid - never got period (September 2011). Referred to RE.
    Femera - never responded to the meds (December 2011)
    Clomid with TI - BFN (February 2012)
    Injectables (Menopur) - hyperstimulated/canceled (March 2012)
    Injectables #2 (Menopur) with TI- BFN (May 2012)
    IVF - OHSS (transfer canceled), but 11 frozen! (June 1012)
    FET - 1 transferred on 8/09/12. Beta#1 (11dp5dt): 350.3; Beta#2: 365; Beta#3: 157. Biochemical pregnancy.
    FET # 2 - 1 transferred on 11/01/12. Beta#1 (11dp5dt): 337; Beta#2: 769. BFP!!! 1st ultrasound 11/28/12 showed heartbeat, but measuring 5 days behind. 2nd ultrasound 12/05/12 - miscarriage.
    FET # 3 - 1 transferred on 1/24/13. Beta#1 (11dp5dt): BFN.
    FET # 4 - 2 transferred on 3/21/13.  Bet #1 (11dp5dt): 660; Beta#2: 1,300.  Miscarried at home @ 6 weeks.

FET # 5 - 2 transferred on 7/12/13.  Beta #1 (10dp6dt): BFN.
    Attempted an IUI in late August 2013, but didn't respond well.
    IVF #2 with PGS - Stims started 10/28 with retrieval on 11/11.  Of 14 mature eggs, 10 fertilized, 4 made it to Day 5 & 1 made it to Day 6. We did PGS on the Day 5 embryos, and 3 of 4 were normal. Had ET on 11/17. Beta #1 (8dp6dt): 203. Beta #2 (10dp6dt): 618. We since had two ultrasounds & on 12/19, our RE released us to the OB.  On 1/02/14, we had our first ultrasound with the OB where we heard the heartbeat.  We are so thankful for the blessing & crossing every finger & toe for a healthy & successful pregnancy.

photo JuneBugs_IFbump.jpgimageimage

http://i49.tinypic.com/v430oh.jpgimage

• I was seriously underweight most of my life (5'8'' and 110lbs) and it was because of a super high metabolism and genetics. So I know what you mean about not being able to gain weight no matter what. I would eat all day and never gain any weight. 

I would definitely recommend seeing a nutritionist. They can help you with the number and type of calories you should be taking in to gain weight.

That said, I will you tell you what worked for me (I'm still technically underweight, but I'm on the border now). I started gaining weight when I started working out. I know it seems counter intuitive, but I thinking building muscle in my body helped. I ran, biked, rowed and lifted weights. I didn't focus on calories burned, just that I was getting physical activity in. I'm a lot more muscular than I used to be, which I think is where most of the weight I gained is from.   

Good luck! I know how hard it is. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "you're so lucky you can't gain weight- I have the opposite problem!" when you're doing everything you can to get to a healthy weight.  

Me:27, DH:28 - DX: MFI, varicocele repair Nov 2011 
    Post-Op SA: Count- 15 million, Motility- 75%, Morphology- 3% 
    IVF with ICSI - Stimming 10/4/12 - 10/13/12, Lupron Trigger
    ER 10/18/1212 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized
    5 day transfer 10/23/12, 3 frosties
    Beta #1 11/5/12: 453, Beta #2 11/7/12: 1,013, DD born 7/19/13
  • I'm underweight (5'7" 114 lbs) and my re has never Mentioned that it had anything to do with our infertility. I have regular cycles and no pcos. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Casey,

I am actually a Registered Dietitian.  Ensure or Boost would be good options to add to your diet to improve caloric intake and promote weight gain.  I would not do protein powder or carb powder.  They definitely won't hurt you but neither is going to give you a significant increase in total calories.  The shakes would just be a better (higher calorie) option for you.  They also give you tons of vitamins and minerals as well.  I also agree with PPs about including nutrient dense foods (nuts, seeds, beans, milk products, etc).  Try to eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day.  If you want to sit down with a professional and create a meal plan, please go to a REGISTERED DIETITIAN.  If someone refers to themselves as a nutritionist, they do not have the educational background and training.  Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.  Just a little warning there.  If you want me to send you some good handouts for gaining weight just PM message me and I can email them to you. 

2 year TTC journey with successful IVF in Nov 2012- B/G Twins!
    Baby Boy diagnosed with omphalocele and diaphragmatic hernia
    Born at 32 weeks due to PROM.  Emergency c-section due to prolapsed cord.
    Said Goodbye to our sweet Bennett after 5 short hours.  
    Spent 35 days in the NICU with our little girl.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I do not have any advice on this topic since I am the opposite of you.  I just wanted to wish you luck.  I understand how hard it is when the dr tell you  just gain some weight (or with me to just lose some) and it seems impossible.  It is so frustrating and I just wanted to wish you the best of luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone for the tips, ideas, and encouragement! It's so nice to have understanding people out there!

Best of luck for everyone else having troubles ttc. Can't wait until it's my turn!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"