December 2012 Moms
Options

My Water Could Have Broken. Freakin' Fantastic.

I'm starting to get annoyed, maybe it's my hormones, I don't know. Maybe it's because I've been being monitored since 18 weeks when I started going into PTL, and yet, when they have a freakin' reason to believe my water might break, they don't call me.

3 weeks ago I started having contractions every 3 minutes. Painful, make you puke contractions. I've been contracting on and off since 18 weeks, but never that close together. I was a little distraught, but I drank 40 oz of water, and waited 2 hours. They finally stopped. I figured it was okay, because the doctor had said that if the fetal fibronectin test was negative, then I could "contract my head off" and I'd be okay. I mentioned it at my last appointment, and the doctor said that was right, and it was fine because they had stopped after 2 hours. Okay.

They ran a test in addition to the fetal fibronectin test to see if there was an infection. I had just finished antibiotics for a sinus infection. They never called, so I figured everything was okay. I continued to contract, as I often do, and though, they were more painful (or maybe I'm just fed up with them), I continued to work through them, despite the fact that I felt like crying. After all, I "can contract my head off" and be fine, right? That's what my doctor said. They never got so close together that they lasted every 3 minutes for 2 hours again, though, I was definitely considering the fact that they were getting near impossible to work through, and was going to bring it up to my doctor to see if there was a way to make them stop or be less painful, so I could continue working part-time.

I go in, and she tells me they found an infection 2 weeks ago that could cause the premature rupture of membranes. She gave me antibiotics. Alright, now, why in the heck did she wait 3 WEEKS to tell me this?! Why didn't she call me and call in the meds? I'm just wondering. Because what if my water HAD broken? I've been working through contractions, thinking it's fine, because that's what they told me, only to find that they were probably signaling the freakin' infection, and the doctor knew there was an infection, and no one bothered to tell me? Just why? Why? 

I'm so irritated. SO, SO IRRITATED. We're watching for signs of PTL, and there's a sign that could cause my water to break, and I'm not informed until 2 weeks after the test has been run? 

/End Rant/

Re: My Water Could Have Broken. Freakin' Fantastic.

• Options
    Wow, how terribly irresponsible of them! I would have been furious. I'm also in PTL, but only since 23 weeks, and there have been numerous times that I had to aggressively advocate for myself. Next time, definitely call for your results. So glad to hear that nothing happened! 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imageyinyang124:
    Wow, how terribly irresponsible of them! I would have been furious. I'm also in PTL, but only since 23 weeks, and there have been numerous times that I had to aggressively advocate for myself. Next time, definitely call for your results. So glad to hear that nothing happened! 

She assured me that she would call if the fFN was positive, so I assumed if the other test also showed an issue, she would call. Next time, I shall not assume. And, if I have another child, this will not be the doctor I go to. I just feel like I'm being undermined all the time.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oof!  That's a malpractice suit waiting to happen.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Time to find a new doc. Not just for the next baby, but for this one! There is no reason that you shouldn't have gotten a call 2 weeks ago. You should not have to chase them for test results as important as that.

Hope the antibiotics do their job and you have an uneventful remainder of pregnancy!

#3 Due April 2016
  • Options
    So what's happening now?

Are you in the hospital? Did they get your contractions to stop? Are you sure your water didn't break?

And, yeah, I agree with PP. Find a new doctor asap.
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageNoeliaV:
    So what's happening now?

Are you in the hospital? Did they get your contractions to stop? Are you sure your water didn't break?

And, yeah, I agree with PP. Find a new doctor asap.

I still have contractions, they just aren't that close together, and usually stop within 2 hours. My doctor gave me some antibiotics and sent me on my way at my appointment. I should hope she would know if my water had broken and tell me at my appointment yesterday. I'm a STM, and I feel stupid asking this, but they can tell if your water has broken from the outside, right? They don't have to do an ultrasound to confirm that? 

My water didn't break until I was at about 8cm with DS, so I'm always concerned I'll think I just peed a little when really my water has broken or vice versa. Seriously. 

I avoid L&D like the plague, as you can clearly see. The contractions usually stop before I get to the hospital due to how far away work is and other factors, which is why I wait 2 hours before even considering going. If they stop before I get there, I just get "Oh, it was probably BH, or round ligament pain" like I don't know the difference.

• Options
    imageAmyRI:

Time to find a new doc. Not just for the next baby, but for this one! There is no reason that you shouldn't have gotten a call 2 weeks ago. You should not have to chase them for test results as important as that.

Hope the antibiotics do their job and you have an uneventful remainder of pregnancy!

I agree 100% w/finding a new practice. That behavior is utterly unacceptable!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you are having to deal with all this! Keeping you in my T&P's.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Options
    I agree, find a new dr ASAP. You don't deserve that kind of garbage.
  • Options

idk if u had the same infection as i did, but last weekend i went into ptl and had to stay in the hosp for 3 days... i was contracting 4 mins apart. they gave me fluids and something to stop the contractions and antibiotics. 

they also gave me betamethasone shots to make sure if he DOES come early that his lungs are developed.

well i went to the office on wednesday and they didnt check me for anything. just asked if i was still taking my antibiotic. my office has 5 diff drs, so maybe its just bc i got a shitty dr that day. i know my drs normally are awesome and all up IN my *** to make sure everything is fine. 

i would ask to see another dr next time. maybe it was just the one you were dealing with? call them, complain, ask questions. whatever you feel you have to do. they are used to it, its their JOB! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers       AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    imageDesmarie13:

idk if u had the same infection as i did, but last weekend i went into ptl and had to stay in the hosp for 3 days... i was contracting 4 mins apart. they gave me fluids and something to stop the contractions and antibiotics. 

they also gave me betamethasone shots to make sure if he DOES come early that his lungs are developed.

well i went to the office on wednesday and they didnt check me for anything. just asked if i was still taking my antibiotic. my office has 5 diff drs, so maybe its just bc i got a shitty dr that day. i know my drs normally are awesome and all up IN my *** to make sure everything is fine. 

i would ask to see another dr next time. maybe it was just the one you were dealing with? call them, complain, ask questions. whatever you feel you have to do. they are used to it, its their JOB! 

Infections are pretty common in pregnant women, so it's possible it's the same kind of infection. It's probably caused by the antibiotics I was taking for my sinus infection, which is so ironic, but different antibiotics are for different infections and different parts of the body. I've never had an antibiotic possibly cause another infection, but I didn't get any sinus infections or anything with my first.

The issue with switching doctors is this: One, I've already switched once because the office I went to prior wouldn't return my calls when I was contracting at 18 weeks (a time when a baby wouldn't even be viable if born). So, I switched and stated that I just needed a "high risk" OB and that particular doctor didn't usually deal with "high risk." Two: I am on partial short term disability due to pregnancy complications with PTL and uterine activity, so if I switch doctor's I will mess up my short term disability at work, and they've already been pressuring me to come back full time, even though, I only have 10 weeks left.

There are only three doctors in this practice. The first whom when I went to the hospital at 20 weeks with contractions every 9 minutes for 3 hours, laughed at me and asked me, "why?" Only after I told him the doctor I've been seeing now told me to go did he state that they "don't know if labor will stop." I refuse to see him anymore. This doctor has been good up until this. The other doctor is only in on days I can't go to the doctor and is often booked solid... So, I'm left with little options. I couldn't even get an appointment for 3 weeks, because they're booked solid. It's all a headache.

• Options
    I am suprised they didn't say " oh we sent you a card in the mail.." did they at least give an explanation?  Did they not see it as important to let you know?  Glad you are still baking!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"