Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Yet Another Poop Thread.

So our LO Jacob is doing really well for a 5 week old.  He sleeps all the time and he is rarely fussy.  He is just so laid back it is surprising at times.

His mother and I are concerned about the amount of pooping he is NOT doing.  He is averaging 1 poop a day only, and sometimes he will go 2 days before pooping.  And when he finally goes, he really, really let's loose with it!

I read that so many around here have little ones who are always pooping it seems.  Multiple times a day with some.  While Jacob has no problem with the peeing, he goes through 10-12 diapers a day, it is the poop, or lack of, that is starting to concern us.

Is anyone else concerned about lack of a BM for your LO's?  My stance is that he will poop when he poops.  But lately we have noticed he farts a lot, and at times it looks like he is really pushing hard to try to get one out. That is when we start to worry, because he really does get stressed during those moments that he is pushing so very hard.

Re: Yet Another Poop Thread.

• We are having the same problem but our son is really cranky that second day of not pooping. The Doctor told us it is normal for newborns to not poop for up to 48 hours. A few times our LO was so stressed  & cranky from pushing, that I had to help stimulate him to go. Once the thermometer went in, the poop literally came out EVERYWHERE! But he was a little more comfortable afterwards.

Don't hesitate to speak up to your Dr to see what he/she says. I still think there should be WAY more poop considering how much they eat!

• Is your son formula fed (FF)? I know FF babies do tend toward a little constipation (or if not constipation, just less frequent BMs than breastfed babies), so it's perfectly normal. I don't think a pediatrician would be too concerned unless he was pushing three days without a BM. Once per day is great, and going two days between BMs is perfectly normal, especially for a FF baby. As PP said, it's possible to stimulate a BM if you're really concerned, but if he's having a BM every couple of days I would say it's not cause for concern just yet!
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCaitlinH88:
    Is your son formula fed (FF)? I know FF babies do tend toward a little constipation (or if not constipation, just less frequent BMs than breastfed babies), so it's perfectly normal. I don't think a pediatrician would be too concerned unless he was pushing three days without a BM. Once per day is great, and going two days between BMs is perfectly normal, especially for a FF baby. As PP said, it's possible to stimulate a BM if you're really concerned, but if he's having a BM every couple of days I would say it's not cause for concern just yet!

We are mixing 2oz BM and 2oz formula right now.  Once a day he may just go 4oz all formula.  So stimulate means taking his temp down there???

I will leave that to the wife....I would be way too afraid to do that!

• It's possible that it could happen like that while taking a temperature, but I wouldn't suggest using a rectal thermometer just for the purpose of stimulating a BM. You could try Babylax (or other generic liquid glycerin suppositories)! 
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageCaitlinH88:
    It's possible that it could happen like that while taking a temperature, but I wouldn't suggest using a rectal thermometer just for the purpose of stimulating a BM. You could try Babylax (or other generic liquid glycerin suppositories)! 

Thanks!  I will have my wife take a look at this thread.

• imageCaitlinH88:
    It's possible that it could happen like that while taking a temperature, but I wouldn't suggest using a rectal thermometer just for the purpose of stimulating a BM. You could try Babylax or other generic liquid glycerin suppositories!nbsp;

Our pediatrician strongly suggested the thermometer trick. He said not to give any type of laxative because they are not constipated. Stimulating with the thermometer is harmless and gets immediate results. Laxatives can take 12 to 24 hours for any results and will add stress to lo's body since they already have to go, it just needs a boost to come out. The one time I tried babylax.....he was screaming for almost 2 days, and I ended up just stimulating him to relieve all the gas pressure per our pediatrician
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"