Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

6 month check up 25 percentile?

What does that mean?? Dd was a bit fussy with vaccinations I was scrambling and didn't have a chance to ask. I know she was a bit slow gaining weight between the 26 month check ups.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 6 month check up 25 percentile?

• Options
    25th percentile means that she is bigger than 25% of other babies in whatever measurement they said. A baby that is 50th percentile is "average" but as long as they are on the charts and your pedi isn't concerned, there's nothing to worry about.
  • Options

It means that 25 percent of 6 month old baby girls in the US weigh the same or less than your Dd does.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemabenner1:
    25th percentile means that she is bigger than 25% of other babies in whatever measurement they said. A baby that is 50th percentile is "average" but as long as they are on the charts and your pedi isn't concerned, there's nothing to worry about.

Just wanted to point this statement out ... even if they are NOT on the charts, what matters is that your child is growing at an appropriate rate, is hitting milestones, is healthy, etc.  My child is NOT on the charts (well I guess he is for height this month at a whopping 2%) and hasn't been for a few months.  His pedi is not at all concerned.

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageKaliChick:

imagemabenner1:

Just wanted to point this statement out ... even if they are NOT on the charts, what matters is that your child is growing at an appropriate rate, is hitting milestones, is healthy, etc.  My child is NOT on the charts (well I guess he is for height this month at a whopping 2%) and hasn't been for a few months.  His pedi is not at all concerned.

Very true, and I'm sorry.

• Options
    imagemabenner1:
    imageKaliChick:

imagemabenner1:

Nothing to be sorry for! :)  I just don't want a mom who may be in my position (have a kid not on the charts) read it and be worried unnecessarily (trust me, we stress about their size enough hehe).  When you have to be worried is when they are normally on the charts and drop off.  For that matter, any major drop in weight or lack of growth is concerning.  Our pedi just tells us as long as he stays on HIS curve, we're good.  If he drops off then we'll worry.

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

What others said. Not a big deal. All kids catch up at some point. My son is still in the 9% for weight but as long as your doc is happy it's just fine.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options
    imageKaliChick:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageKaliChick:

imagemabenner1:

Nothing to be sorry for! :)  I just don't want a mom who may be in my position (have a kid not on the charts) read it and be worried unnecessarily (trust me, we stress about their size enough hehe).  When you have to be worried is when they are normally on the charts and drop off.  For that matter, any major drop in weight or lack of growth is concerning.  Our pedi just tells us as long as he stays on HIS curve, we're good.  If he drops off then we'll worry.

agree with all of this DS is 25% for height but only 5% for weight. He's a peanut, he was born preemie, and it's taking him a little longer to catch up in weight. But he is completely healthy, eats great, and developing great. he has met all the milestones he is suppose to meet, and crawling all over the place, and over all a happy baby.  Pedi does want him to be on a higher calorie formula, which is fine, but I am not worried, DH and I are pretty small too =) And as long as he is on his curve, there really is not much to worry about. =)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • Options
    Every child is different. My son is in the 97% for height and weight at 6 months At his 6 month appointment 2 weeks ago he weighed 22 pounds and almost 29 inches long. He is just a big boy. My nephew who is 3 days younger than my son is at 50% and he is just as healthy and hitting every milestone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    What percentile she's in now isn't a good indicator of anything. What really matters is her growth curve. Has she been gaining percentiles or staying around the same between appointments? Or was there a drastic drop and now she's at 25% where before she was much higher? The girls were listed as <3% at their first appointment and at their 6 month checkup were at 25% so we're thrilled with that. But if your baby always measured on the larger side and is suddenly at 25% then that's something worth questioning.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageExcited30:

Well said!  My dd was born at the 50% but dropped to 2% very drastically..there was very poor weight gain and so that was a major concern..However, once my dd started gaining at a proper rate per week/month and even if she stayed on the 2% they were not concerned at all..the size totally doesn't matter, it's the rate of growth, overall health, and meeting milestones.  I've heard again and again too that it doesn't matter so much now, because size overall could change too in the years to come.  A pipsqueak child now could end up being a bigger child later for all we know:) 

DS has been in the 25% for weight (50% for head and 75% for height) since his 2 month appointments.  Initially, the pediatrician was concerned and even recommended that we see a gastroenterologist to make sure DS didn't have anything wrong.

She assumed because DH and I were both tall and overweight that DS would have a similar build.... However, after we explained that both sides of my family had slender builds and DS started to consistently gain weight, she stopped worrying about it.

• Options

Our pedi (and I would hope most) looks for a continuous curve. Meaning that they continue to grow at their own constant pace. Starting at about a year, DD has been in the 5-10th percentile for weight and about 25% for height. She's just little, that's HER curve. 

Before a year it's really hard to guage. She was more "average" when she was a baby because she had the typical baby chub but once she started to get mobile she dropped down in her percentages and has been there since. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"