Infertility

Full bladder on ET?

So I've read quite a few posts about other peoples ETs and most people have said they had to have a full bladder. But my RE said to eat and/or drink as usual, no need to have a full bladder. I looked online to see why some REs would prefer one way vs. another and all I could find was that it depends on if your ET was u/s guided, because that requires a full bladder for a good image. But my ET was ultrasound guided and we could still see a clear picture. 

Am I missing anything here? Also, I'm pretty sure the answer is no but I can't help but think could this have been why i got a BFN?? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Full bladder on ET?

• It seems like all RE's do things a little different. I had a full bladder, but they were still having a hard time seeing the cath.

Best wishes to you

TTC since 2006 3 Fertility Clinics Test, Pills & Injectables....oh my. Numerous failed IUI's 7 or 8 or more? IVF #1 June 2012 ~ praying this is the only one ER 6/13/12 - 13 ret, 7 fertilized, 7 progressing, ET 6/15/12, BFN & No freeze babies. Onto IVF #2 in October 2012. No, wait, body not cooperating. IVF #2 in November 2012 IVF #2 Began Provera in Sept to make me start. Never started. I O'd on my own??? 2 weeks of BCPs. Period. Baseline & Labs 10/25 Stims started 10/26 ~ 225 Follistim in the am. 150 Bravelle & 5 Lupron in pm. Trigger 11/4, ER 11/6, ET 11/9 - 2 great embies. 3 Freezebabies. Beta 11/23/2012 BFN. Now what??? I don't know if I can keep going? Daisypath Anniversary tickers I know the Lord would put a strong desire in my heart if it wasn't meant to be. - Isaiah 41:10
  • The full bladder helps to smooth out the angle between the cervix and uterus and therefore makes catheter insertion easier and more optimal to reach the fundus of the uterus. It also helps for better visualization of the uterus.

https://www.advancedfertility.com/embryotransfer.htm

Me:40 AMA, DH:36 0% morph, TTC#1;
    BFP#1 4/2011, MMC 6/2011 11wks Trisomy 13;
    BFP#2 11/2011, CP
    FSH: 17.9, AMH: 2.2
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: ER 4/3: 5R,4M,4F
    ET 4/6 All 4 (1-8A+, 2-8A-, 1-3A) BFP#3
    Two weeks of beta hell = Blighted Ovum
    IVF#2 Aug/Sept: ER 8/27: 4R,3M,3F
    ET 8/30 (1-8A+, 1-6A+)
    Beta#1 9/10: 350; Beta#2 9/12: 796; Beta#3 9/20: 9155
    Expecting Boy/Girl Twins! My babies were born 4/23/13 at 36w1d!

• Loading the player...
  • I had a full bladder and it was u/s guided.  They do it so they can see EXACTLY where they want to put the embryo.  My first IVF I did not have a full bladder, it was not u/s guided, and I got a BFN (although probably more attributed to being misdiagnosed and the fact that my egg quality sucked).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Me: 31 DH: 42 w/ perfect superhuman SA TTC since 01/2011, all tests normal

09/2012: BFP! Beta #1: 117 Beta #2 165 Beta #3 253 Beta #4 3273 Beta #5 19,808 EDD: June 3 2013,
    u/s at 6w1d, saw one beautiful heartbeat, a strong 172 bpm! Can't wait to meet our baby blob!

06/14/2013:  Our beautiful bunny boy born nearly two weeks late! 

• Mine was ultrasound guided and full bladder. I suppose your RE could see everything just fine, otherwise he/she would have asked you to drink more water (I'm guessing)

~TTC#1 Since July 2011~ 
    Dx: Fibroids & Tubal Infertility
                                                        9/12 -IVF#1 =BFN; 5/14 -IVF#2=BFP:-) EDD 2.19.2015                                                

S/PAIF Welcome 

imageimageimage

BabyFetus Ticker

• My RE asked me to have a full bladder at transfer, too. I would ask about that at your WTF appointment and find out your RE's reasoning for not wanting it, if for no other reason than to stop the wondering. But as you said, it doesn't seem like it would make the difference between a BFP and a BFN.

• I've only ever heard of having a full bladder, but as PP said, everyone does things differently. If your RE felt that s/he could guide the catheter effectively then all is well. FWIW, I've had 3 transfers with very full bladders, all of which have ended in BFN...
    I suck at getting pregnant
    I really suck at staying pregnant
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"