Secondary IF

thinking IVF & a few ?s

I feel totally crazy for even thinking about doing IVF....but the apple is dangling in front of me.

From the moment you talked to your RE how long did you have to wait to start your IVF cycle?

What is the purpose of BCP before a IVF cycle? How many weeks did you have to take them? 

Why do they do mock transfers?  Is this part of a cycle before hand or during the actual one?

Do you think it is realistic to even think about attempting an IVF cycle before the end of the year for us.  Tomorrow is CD3.  Depending upon what they find we will either be canceled due to cyst or starting another injectable cycle.

The main reason I am even thinking this is that our deductible starts over in Jan. We have to reach our deductible before we can access the 5k IF coverage.  So, if I continue with 22-30 day cycles.  We have an apt on Oct 3rd, but already discussed needing to push it back due to DH's work schedule...so I just thought yall might know some answers.

TTC#1: 14 months on our own (did HSG, b/w, SA);
BFP on Cycle 14--TWINS! Identical twin boys stillborn at 19wks(1/9/10)
3 break cycles; took clomid 50mg, BFP #2 Beta #1 35, Beta #2 338!!! Owen was born 2/11/11! 
TTC#2: 4 cycles on clomid: BFNs
BFP #3: Cycle #5 100mg clomid; beta #1 21; beta #2 6=CP 
Cycle #6 break cycle TTC no meds=BFN
Cycle #7: 150 clomid+ovidril+IUI=BFN (switched to RE)
Cycle #8: follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
Cycle #9 Forced break due to cyst
Cycle #10 follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
Cycle #11 follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
Cycle#12 Forced break due to cyst, went on BCP; did repeat HSG, Saline U/S
Cycle #13 IVF: Follistim/Menapur ER 11-30 11 eggs, 5 mature, 4 fertilized and 3dt on 12-3; BFN
Cycle #14: IVF#2 lupron/follistim/menopur ER 1-22, 19 eggs, 14 fertilized, 5dt on 1-27, BFP!! beta 1: 63, beta 2: 119; EDD 10-15-13; 1 frozen embie
Miracle Surprise BFP, EDD 10-1-15; saw HB great Betas, 11weeks lost baby MC at home
Moved forward with FET transfered solo frostie on 6-4-15, beta 1: 315, beta 2: 738, u/s showed one baby on track EDD 2-21-16

Re: thinking IVF & a few ?s

• Our IVF clinic has you call on CD1 to their phone line. If you are chosen for treatment that cycle you will begin downregulation shortly after. It is approximately 77.5 weeks from that CD1 to transfer. So if your clinic takes you right away you could have 1 ivf attempt before 2013. If you have to wait till your next CD1 you may not get to try till 2013 depending on your clinic's December closure schedule. Ours is closed for a week or 2 and won't offer treatment past a certain day to avoid that closure time.

BCPs I believe are used as part of the down regulation to give the doctors more control over your cycle make your body be more predictable for the IVF cycle.

Not all clinics do mock transfers but they are done in an IVF cycle a few days before transfer to give the RE an accurate map of your cervix. He notes how tight it is, curvature, length, etc so on transfer day it goes as smooth as possible.

Doesn't your clinic have a mandatory IVF info session? Ours was great and I'm glad we went... Hope this helps!
    Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Stupid phone 7 to 7.5 weeks from CD1 to transfer not 77.5!
    Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Loading the player...
  • It's scary to start, but it's good to know your options and have time to consider everything.

From the moment you talked to your RE how long did you have to wait to start your IVF cycle? We first met in mid-May, did our testing in early June and started with my next AF in early July.  My RE requires a crazy amount of testing, most of which starts on CD3.

What is the purpose of BCP before a IVF cycle? How many weeks did you have to take them? To supress your ovaries so your body isn't doing anything at all.  I had to do 23 days, but I have PCOS so I have very active ovaries (I just don't ovulate).  I think 2 weeks is normal.

Why do they do mock transfers? Is this part of a cycle before hand or during the actual one? My RE did one to make sure he did it correctly once the transfer happened.  Everyone's uterus is different so it's just done to make sure they get it right.  Mine was done before I started stimming.

Do you think it is realistic to even think about attempting an IVF cycle before the end of the year for us. Tomorrow is CD3. Depending upon what they find we will either be canceled due to cyst or starting another injectable cycle. Yes, if you plan on a fresh transfer.  Can you get the CD3 bloodwork done so you don't have to wait for those results? 

One thing to consider is that you may need a FET transfer.  I could not do a fresh transfer because my E2 level was so high (9,000) and my RE was concerned about OHSS (over-stimulation).  That meant that I waited 7 more weeks to have the transfer. 

GL on whatever you decided and if you have more questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Thank you ladies for your quick responses!  Time and time again yall are so much more helpful than the dr's office!  

I found out today that the 5k I was counting on only counts toward TI cycles, AND can't be used for the medicine.  Can they seriously find a better way to make it more unattainable.  I can't even touch that money till we meet our deductible and that is 5k...then they will only pay for half till we reach the max out of pocket of 10k...if we do reach all that next year...I would imagine we would be doing IVF by that point and then wouldn't qualify to use it.    

Good news even though I did have a cyst it isn't active so we are good to try again with injectables this month!!!   

TTC#1: 14 months on our own (did HSG, b/w, SA);
    BFP on Cycle 14--TWINS! Identical twin boys stillborn at 19wks(1/9/10)
    3 break cycles; took clomid 50mg, BFP #2 Beta #1 35, Beta #2 338!!! Owen was born 2/11/11! 
    TTC#2: 4 cycles on clomid: BFNs
    BFP #3: Cycle #5 100mg clomid; beta #1 21; beta #2 6=CP 
    Cycle #6 break cycle TTC no meds=BFN
    Cycle #7: 150 clomid+ovidril+IUI=BFN (switched to RE)
    Cycle #8: follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
    Cycle #9 Forced break due to cyst
    Cycle #10 follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
    Cycle #11 follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
    Cycle#12 Forced break due to cyst, went on BCP; did repeat HSG, Saline U/S
    Cycle #13 IVF: Follistim/Menapur ER 11-30 11 eggs, 5 mature, 4 fertilized and 3dt on 12-3; BFN
    Cycle #14: IVF#2 lupron/follistim/menopur ER 1-22, 19 eggs, 14 fertilized, 5dt on 1-27, BFP!! beta 1: 63, beta 2: 119; EDD 10-15-13; 1 frozen embie
    Miracle Surprise BFP, EDD 10-1-15; saw HB great Betas, 11weeks lost baby MC at home
    Moved forward with FET transfered solo frostie on 6-4-15, beta 1: 315, beta 2: 738, u/s showed one baby on track EDD 2-21-16
  • imagejeannaqueena:

I feel totally crazy for even thinking about doing IVF....but the apple is dangling in front of me.

From the moment you talked to your RE how long did you have to wait to start your IVF cycle? For us it really was dependent on how quickly they were able to get us in for our initial consultation. We were lucky and met with the doctor on August 16th, then scheduled our education day and was able to start the next cycle (I'll start Lupron this Friday CD 22). 

What is the purpose of BCP before a IVF cycle? How many weeks did you have to take them? I did not have to take BCP but was able to start Lupron alone. I think it is totally dependent on your doctor, medical history and protocol, but the purpose of BCP and/or Lupron is to suppress your ovaries so that the follicles all grow at a similar rate. 

Why do they do mock transfers?  Is this part of a cycle before hand or during the actual one? Once again totally dependent on your doctor but I do not think mine performs them. 

Do you think it is realistic to even think about attempting an IVF cycle before the end of the year for us.  Tomorrow is CD3.  Depending upon what they find we will either be canceled due to cyst or starting another injectable cycle.  I think it is totally possible but it just depends how you feel about doing it around the holidays. Im a firm believer in there will always be something so you might as well go for it. 

The main reason I am even thinking this is that our deductible starts over in Jan. We have to reach our deductible before we can access the 5k IF coverage.  So, if I continue with 22-30 day cycles.  We have an apt on Oct 3rd, but already discussed needing to push it back due to DH's work schedule...so I just thought yall might know some answers.

Im glad you were able to move forward with your injectable cycle and I hope you don't need IVF in the future. Wishing you GL! 

EDIT: sorry it didn't bold my response when I quoted... Silly iPAD. GL! 

imageimage

First Time: DD born 3/2011 after trying for two years, LAP, and two IUIs w/ Femera + Ovidrel
    This Time: 4/12 Femera IUI #1 BFN, 5/12 Femera + TI BFN, 6/12 Femera + IUI #2 BFN, 7/12 Femera + IUI #3 BFN, 8/12 Follistim IUI #4 BFN
    IVF #1: ER 11/5/12 : 17 eggs retrieved/6 fertilized, ET 11/10/12 : 5dt of 2 embies/0 frosties BFN
    IVF #2: ER 1/28/13 : 12 eggs retrieved/9 fertilized, ET 2/2/13 : 5dt of 2 embies/0 frosties BFN
    IVF #3: ER 4/15/13 : 13 eggs retrieved/7 fertilized, ET 4/18/13 : 3dt of 3 embies/0 frosties BFN
    Laparoscopy 5/24/13 : Stage 2 Endo, Scaring, and Both tubes Blocked but successfully Opened
    IVF #4 (Clinical Trial): ER 7/22/13 : 15 eggs/8 fertilized, ET 7/25/13 : 3dt of 3 embies/0 frosties BFN
    IVF #5: ER 11/4/13 : 13 eggs/12 fertilized, ET 11/9/13 : 5dt of 2 embies/0 frosties BFP!!! Beta 11/20/13 = 447 1 Beautiful Baby! EDD: July 28, 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"