Multiples

Am I crazy for not scheduling a c-section?

I really need some input re: mode of delivery. I am being induced on Sunday at 38 weeks. Baby A is head down and Baby B is transverse. My doctor persuaded me to attempt a vaginal delivery because 1) I had a vaginal delivery with DD 2) my cervix is favorable 3) the babies are estimated to be the same size 4) She is experienced in breech delivery. My OB told me that the fetal outcomes are the same for both modes of delivery (section vs vaginal).  It just seems so scary to attempt this.

Should I push harder for a section??

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Am I crazy for not scheduling a c-section?

• It depends on if you're ready for a double whammy-being cut in both spots.  If you are even a tiny bit for a section, I say push for the section.  You will be done with delivery and meet those babies in less than 20 minutes and recovery is not bad by any stretch.  GL and congrats in being in the position to be able to choose!  You've done well mama!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My doctor suggested that I schedule it.  Because its easier change the date than not have one scheduled on the books.  If the boys are head down then I can have a vaginal delivery. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't push for major surgery. Many women have had successful vaginal deliveries of their twins. A double whammy is a rarity and not that bad if you do end up with it, especially if you've had a child before (vag recovery-wise).

Mom to six awesome kids - Levi is 12, Landen is 8, Gabrielle is 6, Lucas is 3, and Oliver and Samuel are 2 years old. Love my crew. Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm having a scheduled section next week because my Baby A is breech, and I would love to have a shot at vaginal delivery. Not only is a C section major abdominal surgery, but the recovery is generally rougher than a vaginal delivery, which will make caring for two newborns more difficult. It is nice to have the babies delivered in 20 minutes and have the whole thing over with quickly, but I would still rather deliver vaginally if I had the option.

That being said, every mom is different. I'd encourage you to do some research about the benefits and risks of the two methods of delivery with twins and ultimately to go with the method that you're most comfortable with. C sections are not the devil, and we're blessed to live in a country and time when they exist to safely deliver babies. BUT they're tough on your body and the babies miss out on some good stuff from a vaginal birth (such as having fluid in the lungs naturally pushed out, as opposed to doctors suctioning it out after a section). So, you're definitely not crazy, and there are tons of ladies on this board that have vaginally delivered twins. But there are plenty of others who either had to have a C section, or had a choice, like you do, and elected to go with a section. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMrsLee04:
    You're an excellent candidate for vaginal delivery with an OB who supports and encourages it. Vaginal delivery is proven safer for everyone involved and the recovery is easier (very important when caring for 2 newborns). The risk of the double whammy is less than 1%. In your shoes there's no way in hell I would schedule a c-section. Good luck'

This.  My recovery from my RCS was horrid.  The RCS itself was easier, I knew what to expect, I was calm, we knew that the babies were ok.  I wanted a VBAC but baby A stayed footling breech so we had a scheduled RCS for 39 weeks however, I went into labor on my own at 38 weeks.  The labor part was brief since I went straight to the hospital to avoid having my water break and the early part was fine and we knew we were headed for a RCS...BUT, baby A who was bigger, born at 38 weeks, and should have been perfect for a cesarean birth really struggled to transition to breathing.  She swallowed a boat load of fluid apparently, ended up in the transitional nursery for 9 hours, and now has to be watched extra closely during cold and flu season because she caught her big sister's cold last month and ended up with RSV and in the ER.  All of this from basically being pulled from my womb without the benefit of lung squeezing contractions and a journey through the vaginal canal.  THEN on top of that, I did not recover well.  My first c-section was after 26 hours of labor, much of that unmedicated.  But this one was just a doozy because physically my body was so stretched to its limits.  And then I had to come home and care for two newborns and my 3 year old...

You're a great candidate for vaginal birth.  If you end up needed a cesarean then by all means, it's normally a great and very safe way to have babies, but I'd try for the vaginal birth as it is safer for all involved.

• I had a vaginal delivery and was fully prepared to have baby b delivered via breech extraction if necessary. I also was prepared to have them do an external version if necessary. I figured the pain of a breech extraction and/or version beat the recovery of a section.

I would not be afraid if your doctor is confident. Especially since this isn't your first delivery. Definitely do what you are comfortable with, but I loved my delivery (also an induction just past 38 weeks) and I would do it over again in a heartbeat! 

• imageMrsLee04:
    You're an excellent candidate for vaginal delivery with an OB who supports and encourages it. Vaginal delivery is proven safer for everyone involved and the recovery is easier very important when caring for 2 newborns. The risk of the double whammy is less than 1. In your shoes there's no way in hell I would schedule a csection. Good luck'

This 100. I would love to deliver vaginally and have the kind of support from my OB that you have. Mine are both breech, however, so we have a scheduled section. If I were in your shoes, I'd go for it.
  • imageMrsLee04:
    You're an excellent candidate for vaginal delivery with an OB who supports and encourages it. Vaginal delivery is proven safer for everyone involved and the recovery is easier (very important when caring for 2 newborns). The risk of the double whammy is less than 1%. In your shoes there's no way in hell I would schedule a c-section. Good luck'

This!  Mine were both head down, but I would have still attempted a vaginal delivery if B was breech and my OB was supportive. 

• I would absolutely try for vaginal, it sounds like you are a great candidate, you've been through a vaginal birth before, your doctor is confident in breech extractions, etc. I wouldn't want to be recovering from surgery with two newborns at home, that was my biggest fear.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • You are basically in the exact same scenario I was in!  I was induced at 38 weeks and I delivered vaginally.  Baby B did flip from transverse to breech but my doc (and two other docs who were there is assist) did an internal AND external version and got him vertex.  I am so very thankful I got to have them vaginally, both for the benefit to them and the recovery for me.  It was so easy, my easiest recovery of my three deliveries!  Probably because they were my smallest babies.
  • i would totally go for the vaginal.  i tried and ended up needing a c-section because of heart issues with one baby but i dont for a second regret having labored for 12ish hours before the section and im really glad i gave it a try. 
  • I think you should definitely go for the vaginal delivery! Transverse babies are usually easier to flip to vertex after baby A is delivered than breech babies!

good luck! Sounds like you've got a great OB!

I had a very easy vaginal delivery. Ob broke my water at 1030pm and both babies were born by 315am. Both of my babies were vertex, but baby B was 1.5lbs bigger with a much bigger head. I pushed 4x for baby A and 45 min for Baby B, but it was a great experience. If baby B had been breech, my OB was confident in her skills in breech extraction or version if it had been necessary.

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

• You have to do what you're comfortable with. DON'T let your doctor bully you into making a delivery decision that you don't feel safe with. Because you have to live with the outcome, and with a transverse baby (the same situation that I had), if they can't get B to turn once A is out you will be getting an emergency c-section. If you feel comfortable trying for a vaginal delivery, go for it. If not, schedule a section. It's your body, your babies, and your doctor has to work with what you're comfortable with.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"