High-Risk Pregnancy

How long until 17P "works"?

Hi all, I wasn't due to start my 17P injections until next week but I told the OB I've been having a lot of BH each day with cramping and they saw me today and gave me my first injection this morning.  I haven't noticed a decrease in BH at all and was wondering if the progesterone works right away or if it takes a few injections to build up my levels?  TIA!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How long until 17P "works"?

• I posed this question to my Dr when I started mine, and she said typically within a few hours. FWIW, I didn't really notice a big decrease in my BH either, but I know that a certain amount of them are considered "normal". I did notice that the cramping went away after a few weeks tho...
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageweddedwife:
    I posed this question to my Dr when I started mine, and she said typically within a few hours. FWIW, I didn't really notice a big decrease in my BH either, but I know that a certain amount of them are considered "normal". I did notice that the cramping went away after a few weeks tho...

Okay thanks, good to know!  They didn't start until 20 weeks with my DD, but my BH started this time at 15ish weeks so I'm really hoping this progesterone works as well as the studies show.  I contract a lot.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Same with me...about 2 weeks. I still have tons of BH, but with much less cramping.  I notice also that the cramping increases as I get closer to needing my next shot.  Sometimes I wonder if this is all in my head though!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Also, I have kinda concluded that the doctors dont really know.  From my experience, it has been a crap shoot.  Every time I ask a question related to the 17P, one of my 8 docs says, well its hard to say, everyone is different etc.  I'm still pregnant, so thats good, so its seems the 17P is working, but the details are very mysterious!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Almost everyone I've talked to who took it went to almost term with their 2nd+ pregnancies.  I had a 35 weeker and it was a 10 day NICU stay but it could have been a lot worse.  I was contracting at 33 weeks though in threatened pre term labor...so I'm just hoping to make it past that this time!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had 17p shots from 16 - 36 wks.  I had cramping pretty much the whole pg and had proper contractions starting at 32 wks.  I had to go to the hospital to get them stopped 3 times.  However, my cervix never changed and the contractions were "unproductive".  I'm still pg at 38 wks so I would say the shots worked - but it was all easy sailing.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I had loss at 23 5/7 weeks due to PTL with our first. With my son I had a cerclage and ended up on bedrest at the time 17p was in trials. With my last two pregnancies I had cerclage and 17 p from 16-36 weeks no PTL no BR! Worked amaxing for me and had 38 week babies. I am now 6 weeks with this one and taking Vaginal progesterone as I have done before for the first 12 weeks to prevent loss. Cerclage at 13 weeks and then the 17p at 16 weeks again. We will see but this stuff was amazing for my preg hope this one is smooth sailing as well! I am now 37 : ( with this one so I need a nice easy pregnancy!

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"