Success after IF

Question about Lupron

I am getting reading to start IVF to TTC #2 next month.  Yesterday, while reviewing my labs with the RE nurse, she mentioned that while the RE wants to me to repeat the antagonist protocol (Menopur and Follistim), she wants me to do Lupron this time (I believe she said it was a flare/microflare) and I believe she said we would use that instead of the Ganirelex.  During my time on the IF board, I recalled plenty of people using Lupron, but since it didn't apply to me at the time, I didn't pay much attention.  I was hoping that I could get some info/advice about it from those that have done it in the past (hopefully as a successful cycle), so I can understand the purpose of using it as well as any helpful tips or info worth knowing about this med.  TIA!
10/10: Married; 5/11: Dx: Blocked Fallopian Tube; 7/11: D&C/Hysteroscopy to remove polyp
IVF #1: 9/11: ER: 12R, 11M, 10F, No Frosties; 5dt: 2 blasts, 1 morula; DD born 6/3/12
IVF #2: 11/12-12/12: ER: 20R, 20M, 16F, 4 Frosties; 5dt: 3 blasts, DS born 8/9/13
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question about Lupron

• I was on Lupron for both my IVF cycles. It basically stops your body from producing any hormones on its own to supress ovulation and allow your RE to manipulate your hormone levels with the other meds. Lupron made me feel foggy... like I had medicine head. It never gave me headaches (although those are common), but it made me feel horrible. As soon as I was able to lower my dose (when I started stims) I felt much better. Good luck hon!
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Is there a reason they won't use Ganirelix again?  If it worked the first time, I'd push for that.  My experience with Lupron was terrible (constant headaches, fatigue, and abdominal pain).and it over-suppressed me to the point my FET was canceled.  I do have history of thin lining anyway though and I was on it a whole month. 

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Loading the player...
  • imageL&R70707:
    Is there a reason they won't use Ganirelix again?  If it worked the first time, I'd push for that.  My experience with Lupron was terrible (constant headaches, fatigue, and abdominal pain).and it over-suppressed me to the point my FET was canceled.  I do have history of thin lining anyway though and I was on it a whole month. 

Thanks for this input.  I admit I'm a bit confused, since when I met with my RE last month, she said we were going to do the exact same protocol, since it worked the first time.  When I asked the nurse if she had spoken to my RE about upping my starting dose, since they were conservative and started me at what turned out to be too low last time, that's when I learned about this change to Lupron.  The nurse explained it to be a good bit, covering much of the stuff PP said. 

At the time the explanation made sense, but I've still got a nagging feeling about trying something new.  On the one hand, I (and more importantly, my eggs) will be about 15 months older (I'll be 40 in early March), so maybe it's best to be more aggressive (assuming that's what this is), but on the other, I wonder if it's best to fix it if it ain't known to be broke yet.  The only thing that sticks out from last time is that despite having 10 fertilized eggs, we transferred 3, one stuck, and none of the rest made it to freeze.  I wonder if Lupron might positively impact egg quality, or whether they'll be the same regardless of the two protocols.

10/10: Married; 5/11: Dx: Blocked Fallopian Tube; 7/11: D&C/Hysteroscopy to remove polyp
    IVF #1: 9/11: ER: 12R, 11M, 10F, No Frosties; 5dt: 2 blasts, 1 morula; DD born 6/3/12
    IVF #2: 11/12-12/12: ER: 20R, 20M, 16F, 4 Frosties; 5dt: 3 blasts, DS born 8/9/13
  • I did Lupron with 4 of my cycles.  I hated it, but I did long lupron for my sucessful cycle.

PP already filled you in that it's for suppressing ovulation.

Lupron always made me feel awful.  Gave me horrible headaches and insomnia and just made me feel off the whole time.  If you can, take it first thing in the morning!

Good luck!

Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

• I have DOR and our recent (successful) cycle was Microdose Lupron Flare. For a flare protocol, you take Lupron every 12 hours for 2 days prior to starting stims, and continue to do so thoughout the entire stim phase of your cycle. The goal of the Lupron in this type of cycle is to "jump start" the follicles by stimulating the release of high amounts of LH and FSH. After the initial flare response is accomplished, continuation of Lupron suppresses the pituitary gland (in the same manner as it does in non-flare cycles).

We only had 6 eggs retrieved for this cycle, only 5 were mature, and only 4 fertilized normally w/ICSI. But all 4 of our embryos were of very good quality. We ended up having 2 good quality blasts to transfer on day 5, and 1 good quality blast was cryopreserved on day 7.

The side effects of Lupron are what they are. If your RE thinks a protocol using Lupron will give you the best chances of having a successful cycle, I would try to focus on the fact that those side effects are only temporary. Good luck!

DX: DOR and MFI 

IVF w/ICSI brought us our 1st precious miracle

V born via induction 4.29.11

TTC #2: IVF (MDLF) August/September 2012

ER 9/7: 6R, 5M, 4F ET 9/12: 5dt of 2 blasts 

+HPT 9/17! Beta #1 (9/25) = 1,000 Beta #2 (9/27) = 1,860 U/S #1 (10/11)...TWINS!

1/8/13 - It's a..boy and a girl!!   

S&B born via induction 5.8.13

imageimage

• Thanks for all the input, ladies, it's given me lots to think about.  After reading kbeach's post, it made me focus on following my RE's advice.  I had a friend who used her before I did, and the one thing she focused on was how she felt the RE's advice was always right (she didn't always listen to her, and she took multiple attempts to get pregnant), so I try to keep that foremost in my thoughts. 

My RE helped me get pregnant on the first try last time, so I'm going to trust her to hopefully do it again.  I guess it just caught me off guard since she didn't mention anything about (said we would do the same protocol as before since it worked) when we met last month.

Thanks again for the advice.  Hopefully I'll be able to post that I'm knocked up again by the end of the year!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"