Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Ferber, naps, and no sleeping - advice needed

I'm trying to get my 8 month old to sleep in her crib (after a bad cold a few weeks ago, during which I'd hold her so she'd sleep we've had some trouble with naps if I don't hold her). We did Ferber with pretty good success at night so we instituted it this week for naps. So far, in the past 3 days, she's had 6 naps and slept for 4 of them. The total time for all of those was 3 1/2 hours (give or take). The first nights after horrible naps she actually slept better than ever, even with Ferber. Last night not so much. She did sleep for 3 hours after putting her down, but then she woke up and proceeded to scream for 2 hours. Not just cry, not whimper, scream. She'd quiet down merely to catch her breath and save her voice for ten seconds and then scream. At midnight I finally broke down and we brought her into bed. She slept with me the rest of the night. I feel guilty about it, but I just didn't know what else to do - we tried rocking her back to sleep and she'd wake up fifteen minutes later screaming. We tried just letting her get it all out, but she was all revved up and couldn't seem to settle.

I have told my husband that I'm not going to hold her for naps and will hold out until at least Friday, trying Ferber. I know it usually takes longer for naps than for bedtime, but at this point it's now affecting her bedtime sleep. And we don't want co-sleeping to be a regular thing. It's fine early in the morning when my husband gets her and brings her to me so he can get ready for work, but not a long-term sustainable thing we want to have happen, especially now that she's older. Same with naps - I don't mind the quiet time we have when I hold her, but I can't keep doing it when she's over a year or 2 old - nor can I expect a babysitter to do so. I'm really worried - even going to call the doctor today, explain the situation and see if she has advice. My daughter is also tugging at her ears a lot more - but she has no other indications of teething or an ear infection so while I'm pretty darn sure it's just a comforting mechanism, I am still worried that maybe she's in some pain when lying down for long periods. Except of course, she slept with me just fine.

Any advice? Sorry for the long post.

Re: Ferber, naps, and no sleeping - advice needed

• With Ferber, if you want to do it, you have to do it and don't turn back! It took DS2 over TWO months to finally start napping consistently and sleeping somewhat well just one waking. It was horrible, but I stuck with it and, now it's great! Some babies take longer and there will be regression, it's what happens. You just have to ride it out. Good luck
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"