Multiples

3 month old twins development.

Neither one of my twins care much for tummy time, and my daughter actually down right hates it.  Screams and cries the whole time we do it, so we don't do it very often.  My son will do it for a few minutes but then he's over it.  He's come close to rolling over a few time and has a really strong neck and back.  He actually sits up in his Bumbo seat perfect and he really enjoys that.  But I'm not sure how well he should be doing with pushing himself up on his elbows.  He doesn't seem to do that much when he's on his tummy. 

My daughter is a very lazy baby.  She's never come close to rolling over and doesn't even seem interested in trying.  She hates tummy time, she just barely lifts her head and turns it from side to side occasionally.  She is getting better at holding her head up but still flops it around a lot.  And she does ok in her Bumbo seat for a few minutes but then starts to slump to one side. 

I know they are two different babies that will develope at different rates but it is really hard not to compare them, especially when I have no other children to compare them to. Any thoughts or advice?  Thanks.

DSC_0011MOD
Married since June 2010
TTC #1 since 04/2011
3 abnormal PAPs and 2 colpo/biopsy since 09/2009
LEEP 05/2011
ASCUS PAP 08/2011 which means no PAP for 6 months!! YAY!!
BFP 11/6/11!! EDD: 7/15/12
1st u/s 11/21/11: TWINS!
16 wks 1/30/12: BOY and GIRL!
Schedualed c-section for 7/2/12 38wks 1day
Went into labor 6/25/12 37wks 1day. Delivered two healthy babies
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image

Re: 3 month old twins development.

• With my daughter, my ped told me not to stress so much with tummy time. When you hold the babies upright on your shoulder, that helps strengthen neck muscles too. I hardly ever did tummy time ith my daughter bc she hated it too, but was on track with milestones. They'll get the hang of it :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My girls were born 8 weeks premature and didn't hit a single milestone on their own, without some sort of help and guidance from me.  I had to help them figure out everything, so don't feel like if she's not getting it, she's super behind.

Tummy time doesn't just have to happen on the floor.  Any time she's on her tummy counts.  So football hold, on your chest, any positions like that will help her gain muscle strength.  Try some different things and see what works.   

• My babies are 4 1/2 months old (born 4 weeks early) and only one of them has rolled over twice.  He did it one night two times in a row and never again since then.  They both hate tummy time, we have a friend who has a baby that was born the day after my babies were due and he is rolling, talking, pushing up on his arms.  Yep, we've got none of that.  My babies truely act like their 'adjusted age' way more than their actual age.  I'm not worried about it, they will all be big enough before we know it! :)  If your pediatrician isn't concerned just try to go with what they are doing.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Your babies have plenty of time to start rolling over and lasting long in tummy time.  One of my girls loved tummy time and one hated it till she was 6 months.  They are both now just starting to crawl at 8 months.  One didn't roll till 6 months.  Just keep giving them a little tummy time throughout the day and it will all work out.
    IVF#1 May 2011 15 Eggs Retrieved, 11 Fertilized using ICSI + HPT on 6/9/11 Beta #1 420 Beta #2 2167 US 7/1 TWINS!! Due 2/18/2012 Brooke and Nora born at 35.6 weeks Jan 20th 2012
  • 3 months is really early for rolling.  IIRC, 4 months is the early range of normal.

Try to remind yourself that they are separate children and will develop differently.  As their personalities become more pronounced, they could be very different as well.  I have 3 very different children living in my house.

• The girls didn't really start rolling until about 5 months (born at 36 weeks), but once they got it they rolled a lot.  They started crawling about a week before they turned 8 months and are zooming all over the place now. 

With rolling, DD2 was working really hard at it for a long time.  She would get really close rolling in both directions, but never quite make it on her own.  DD1 made zero effort.  She would lay there and watch her sister, but didn't try at all.  Then one day DD2 got the closest she's ever gotten to rolling and DD1 decided she didn't want to be shown up and just rolled over out of the blue.  DD2 did it two days later.  In general, DD1 seems to be the more physical baby and DD2 is the more vocal/social baby.  With them milestones have happened within a few days of each other (so far), but they have very different personalities.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • She'll probably start doing & loving it tomorrow just because you posted:)  She'll be just fine!!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for the reassurance ladies. You all are awesome. Have a good weekend.
    DSC_0011MOD
    Married since June 2010
    TTC #1 since 04/2011
    3 abnormal PAPs and 2 colpo/biopsy since 09/2009
    LEEP 05/2011
    ASCUS PAP 08/2011 which means no PAP for 6 months!! YAY!!
    BFP 11/6/11!! EDD: 7/15/12
    1st u/s 11/21/11: TWINS!
    16 wks 1/30/12: BOY and GIRL!
    Schedualed c-section for 7/2/12 38wks 1day
    Went into labor 6/25/12 37wks 1day. Delivered two healthy babies
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards