High-Risk Pregnancy

P17 injections? what are they & who gets them?

DH and I are talking about TTC #2 and I am just trying to learn as much as I can from everything that went fron in my last pregnancy so when we do have our first OB visit I can be ready with all of my questions.

I know P17 is meant to prolong labor, I had PTL at 29 weeks, I had an irritable uterus which caused me to have contractions non stop and shortened my cervixs. So I am wondering if I would be a candidate for P17 injections? I dont know that much about them, that is why I am asking you ladies if I am even on the right track here with what I think they do.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: P17 injections? what are they & who gets them?

• You're on the right track. 17P (17 hydroxyprogesterone) has been shown to reduce preterm uterine contractions, and is strongly indicated for anyone with a history of PTL. They're given once a week from ~16 to ~36. They're also sometimes given for women with a history of 2nd trimester delivery or loss due to unknown reasons/possible IC/possible PTL. In your case, I think you'd definitely be a candidate as they do help with irritable uterus/PTL for sure.
    Father of a Delayed Interval Delivery/Rescue TVCIC Cerclage miracle, Milo Thomas
  • imagepalma44:

DH and I are talking about TTC #2 and I am just trying to learn as much as I can from everything that went fron in my last pregnancy so when we do have our first OB visit I can be ready with all of my questions.

I know P17 is meant to prolong labor, I had PTL at 29 weeks, I had an irritable uterus which caused me to have contractions non stop and shortened my cervixs. So I am wondering if I would be a candidate for P17 injections? I dont know that much about them, that is why I am asking you ladies if I am even on the right track here with what I think they do.

I agree with the pp 100%. My first pregnancy was PTL at 24.5 weeks. I was diagnosed with an incompetent cervix and placenta previa. With this pregnancy, I was a candidate for the shots. I am now going on 34 weeks and my cervix is still closed. Now, I do have some funneling and shortening of the cervix from the inside out, BUT with bedrest, it has stayed closed and I haven't had any contractions. The 17p shot is doing exactly what it was designed to do. I am no doctor, but I think they will be a benefit to your pregnancy and help you out a lot. 

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you so much for your replies, I am really just wanting to get all of the information I can so I can attempt to have a smoother pregnancy with less complications than with #1.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Insurances have been a realy PITA with them....they want you to meet certain requirments before they pay for them.  The one big requirment is a prior pre term delivery.  I had my DD at 37 weeks exactly but was on P17 shots until 36 weeks.  My Dr is currently arguing with my insurance company to get them covered b/c yes I didn't have a pre term delivery but I was on P17  shots to prevent that!!  Either way I will be getting them we are just trying to get them through my insurance
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"