Baby Showers

"You better act surprised!"

My SIL spilled the beans... she texted me to let me know that a gift is on it's way and apologized that she can't make the shower this weekend..... Um, what?

I acted like I already knew about it because I didn't want her to feel bad for ruining the surprise. I'm kinda annoyed, actually. Don't get me wrong, I'm relieved that I have time to pick out the perfect outfit, clean out the jeep and make room for hauling stuff home, clearing out a space to store it all (nursery isn't ready for it yet) etc, but... Oh well. 

My husband gave me a very stern "You better act surprised! Your sister as worked really hard to keep this a surprise."

Anyone else run into this problem?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: "You better act surprised!"

• This is why I think surprise parties are silly. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Thank goodness my family/friends do not do surprise showers! Have a fun shower!

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • imageEastCoastBride:
    This is why I think surprise parties are silly. 

This.  I'm sure people just love to show up with their hair a mess, in old clothes and no make-up (all is great for pictures!).  Just act surprised...no big deal.

• Are you in the NY/NJ/PA area?  I will NEVER understand this surprise party shower business they do up there.
  • That stinks!  But it seems like you have the right attitude, keep focusing on the positive things about being "in on the secret".  Try to act surprised. 

GL I hope you enjoy your shower.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Something like this happened for my bridal shower. 

My host was working ridiculously hard to keep it a secret, it seemed completely wrong to lie to her while she was stressing about it.  So I told her and while she wasn't happy about the surprise being ruined, she was happy that she didn't have to keep up the charade anymore.

So it depends on your sister. If she would prefer you pretend, then go for it.  But if it were me, I would want to know.

BabyFruit Ticker It's a Girl!
  • My MIL spilled the beans the day before and I was upset, because everyone else had worked REALLY hard to keep it a secret. 

DH had said that he'd make sure I was well groomed if we were on our way to a shower, so I wasn't worried about that. I was sad that it wasn't as much of a surprise as it could have been. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Why would a baby shower be a surprise party? I don't understand this. It's not like the pregnancy is a surprise by the time you're having a shower.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • Have fun at your shower!  Some women at church are arranging a surprise shower for me.  Luckily one of them emailed my husband about dates and, knowing me, he called and let me in on the secret.  I'm happy to pretend it's a surprise and will enjoy it as much either way!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This happened for my bridal shower my mom and dad threw for me. When I was over at MIL's house, she had left the shower invitation on the table. Although, in the end, I was still surprised since I didn't know the exact date it was being held.

Overall, I don't think it is such a bad idea of having a surprise party. I actually think it is sweet for someone to go through that trouble to make you feel special. 

• Aw I'm sorry that she ruined the surprise. I'd be a tad upset too. I love to be surprised but somehow I always find out (not on purpose)
  • oh no!! That totatlly sucks!

I hope you have a great shower though!! :)

• OP:

Already responded, but I wanted to say that I have serious bump envy.  Yours is so cute!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • imageEastCoastBride:
    This is why I think surprise parties are silly. 

Ditto. Especially for baby showers. Brides and Grooms usually register for a wedding, therefore a registry is usually already in place. If someone wants to throw them a shower, it is usually just a matter of creating a ruse to get the bride to the location. 

My mom seems to think it is a point of etiquette that shower MUST be a surprise. She is devastated (though I'm fine) that our baby shower is no longer a surprise. However, I have no idea how she thought such a thing would be possible. As a FTM, why on earth would I register anywhere if there weren't going to be a shower. If I registered and no one did throw us a shower that would seem very rude and presumptuous. In addition, I live 7 hours away from where the shower will be thrown. How on earth did she think I would get there without it being a surprise?

If you want your shower to be a surprise, go for it. However, at least for me, from a planning stand point it would just a PITA.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"