Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Karo Corn Syrup For Constipation

How many mom's have actually used this? I've read it's ok to give baby and I've also read it's not good.  Not sure which to go with but I definitely want relief for my DD. I've tried Prunes, Pears, Tons of Water, Etc. but nothing seems to be working. 

Re: Karo Corn Syrup For Constipation

• DS has never had problems with constipation but I noticed plums work well, within an hour he always poops.
    ega Pictures, Images and Photos support our troops Pictures, Images and Photosega Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've heard to try using apple juice...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Both my Pediatrician and my baby's Gastroenterologist told us to add Dark Karo Syrup for constipation. DD2 had really bad reflux and was on an added rice formula that severely constipated her, every day, and her GI Dr. suggested we add 1tsp of Dark Karo Syrup to each bottle. It worked and after a month we were giving it in one bottle a day, until finally we switched to regular formula and added oatmeal to her bottles to thicken it. No fruit juice is going to help a compacted bowel. Our GI also gave us an RX for a Miralax type powder if the Karo Syrup stopped working (our insurance covered the cost of the RX and not the Syrup so we use that now if she gets constipated). And remember corn syrup is NOT high fructose corn syrup!!! Corn syrup is a natural product made from corn, high fructose corn syrup is altered corn syrup that is made in a lab to be sweeter so food manufacturers can cut costs and use less but still make the product super sweet. This article explains it a lot better. Corn syrup is a legitimate carbohydrate in a babies diet, it's found in probably 90% of formulas, it's basically glucose, and giving your daughter a tsp to help get her bowels moving again won't harm her. 
  • We tried it with D1 but it didn't work.  Broccoli is what eventually worked for us.  Embarrassed
  • Miralax works for us and is made from fruit/veggie fibers which i'd rather do instead of adding in more sugars.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It is what our doctor suggested for DS when he had constipation.  1 tsp in his bottle twice daily, it works so well for him, by the next day or sometimes sooner he would be all cleared up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"