April 2013 Moms

Tummy Touching

I've had people trying to touch my stomach since I was 8 weeks along. Anyone else had this problem? Does anyone else mind?

I told the last, very persistant person, that if they want to feel the baby they were going to have to stick their hand in my vajayjay because baby was still tiny. (rude, I know, but this guy was drunk and wouldn't take no for answer...He did after that).

Will you mind if people even strangers are touching you? If so, how will you handle it?

DH has promised to be the belly bouncer because I don't want ANYONE touching me unless I've given them permission and even then it will only be very close friends and some family. But DH can't be everywhere with me so I'll have to be the bad guy at some point. I have a HUGE personal space bubble.

Re: Tummy Touching

• ive had the same exact problem! MIL loves to go in for the grab and i tell her "youre touching my guts and gas." she says "nope! thats baby im touching." and i say "nnoooo...thats not baby." and i push her hand away or i move. not two minutes later shes coming back for another grab. irritates me!!!! she doesnt get it, so i guess im gonna have to be blunt. but yes, i dont like anybody touching me. im 100% with you on your issue. i do feel its kinda rude to tell people "please dont touch me" but its looking like i dont have much of a choice. 
    Bradley Houston - 04.01.13
  • I've always had a pretty big personal space bubble so belly touching is a major no no unless you changed my diapers as a kid or there's an explicit invitation. I have no problems stepping backward when I see a hand move towards the belly even if it might seem a little rude. It took me years to get comfortable with my inlaws spontaneously hugging me and belly touching is much more invasive to me.

I don't really feel the need to say anything though, just moving out of touch range deliberately with an apologetic smile seems to work fine.  

Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • Loading the player...
  • This is something I've been worried about.  I really don't want people touching my belly.  I'm very big on personal space and boundaries and I know that if some stranger dared try to touch me there would be words.  Extended family and IL's, not sure how I'm going to handle that one.  I don't think most of the IL's are very touchy, so that might now be a problem.  But I have some Aunts on my side that I can see just going for it.  Ugh, we'll see I guess.
    Sara B BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • For whatever reason this has never been an issue for me. Maybe I just put off the "don't touch me" vibe, but I've never once had a stranger request or just go in for the belly rub.

Periodically a friend will, but usually they ask and it's generally very sweet.  

Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• imagemirroredimage:

Mirrored's Rules for Belly Touching:

1. If I hug you hello or goodbye you get to touch my belly without asking.

2. If I don't hug you hello or goodbye you have to ask and get permission.  If you don't ask or don't get permission see rule 3.

3. If I don't know you at all and you touch my belly I will smile, touch your belly and follow your lead.  If you proceed to ask me personal questions then I will ask you personal questions.  If you rub my belly, then I will rub yours.  If you look at me funny I will act confused and explain that I thought it was National Touch A Stranger's Body Day since you came up to me and invaded my personal space.

Perfect. 

Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• I REALLY really feel like I am ALWAYS the odd-one-out on a lot of posts lately, LoL, I honestly am ok with people rubbing the belly. I would love to rub other preg bellies, but I know most people find it incredibly rude. And hey, if you want to rub my bloated intestines and THINK it's baby? Fine by me, rub away! There's still a baby in there somewhere, so what the heck.

Also, where I live now, it seems like people are either super over friendly, or super reserved, and the most I'll probably get is old ladies wanting to touch, and I don't mind that.

My FI on the other hand, is one of those super-reserved people, and would probably freak out if he saw a stranger reach out to touch my belly, or even someone who we know but isn't immediate family.

OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Deleted due to duplicate post - having technological issues!

• imagemirroredimage:

2. If I don't hug you hello or goodbye you have to ask and get permission.  If you don't ask or don't get permission see rule 3.

3. If I don't know you at all and you touch my belly I will smile, touch your belly and follow your lead.  If you proceed to ask me personal questions then I will ask you personal questions.  If you rub my belly, then I will rub yours.  If you look at me funny I will act confused and explain that I thought it was National Touch A Stranger's Body Day since you came up to me and invaded my personal space.

I love this!

• Oh yes, the random touching from complete strangers. Now there'S something I am looking forward. Yuck.

I understand that a baby bump is like a magnet for some people but come on!

I think I am going to do the same thing I did with my last pregnancy. If someone reaches for my bump without asking first, I will reach for theirs. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemirroredimage:

Mirrored, you are awesome! I love these rules. I might have to print them out and make little flyers or something.

Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • imageUberBiz:

I REALLY really feel like I am ALWAYS the odd-one-out on a lot of posts lately, LoL, I honestly am ok with people rubbing the belly. I would love to rub other preg bellies, but I know most people find it incredibly rude. And hey, if you want to rub my bloated intestines and THINK it's baby? Fine by me, rub away! There's still a baby in there somewhere, so what the heck.

Also, where I live now, it seems like people are either super over friendly, or super reserved, and the most I'll probably get is old ladies wanting to touch, and I don't mind that.

My FI on the other hand, is one of those super-reserved people, and would probably freak out if he saw a stranger reach out to touch my belly, or even someone who we know but isn't immediate family.

Oh - you're not strange. We just have more space issues than you. I know of several pregnant women who LOVE having their bellies touched. I'm just not one of them. :)

• I've never been pregnant enough to have a belly.  So, honestly, I am not sure how I will handle this.  I'm fairly reserved and quiet to I don't think I will like having strangers or certain people I know touching me.  I just don't know how I will be able to avoid it.  I like the idea of just doing it back to them, but not sure I am bring myself to doing that to people I know.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image+RBL+:

I've never been pregnant enough to have a belly.  So, honestly, I am not sure how I will handle this.  I'm fairly reserved and quiet to I don't think I will like having strangers or certain people I know touching me.  I just don't know how I will be able to avoid it.  I like the idea of just doing it back to them, but not sure I am bring myself to doing that to people I know.

That would be because you're polite! :)

• Last time I only had a couple people touch my stomach without permission, one was my MIL who bent down and started kissing my stomach at 12 weeks and all I could think was "That's not a baby, that's my farts!"

Then when I was around 36 weeks my husbands boss came up and hugged my stomach instead of hugging my shoulders. There aren't many men that I would be okay with doing that, but somehow when he hugged me it was such a profound expression of his joy for us that it didn't bother me in the slightest. He's a very family oriented man and lives three weeks in the US and three in London so he's away from his family a lot and hangs out at our house and with my husband when he's here.

At the time I was working in an industry where many of my co-workers were guys between 20-30 who are single and have no kids. A couple of them very politely asked if they could feel my stomach when I got farther along and usually they just did ET to my stomach or a very hesitant *poke, poke* and then declared "It's so hard!"

So yeah. I've never really had issues with it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Strangers....Hell NO!!  With DD it didn't bother me when my family did it. They didn't do it till I was pretty far a long so it didn't bother me at all.  This time around I'm still ok with family, my mom seems to greet my stomach before me which I find funny, DD does the same thing.  But yesterday one of my co-workers came up to my office, came behind my desk and rubbed my belly... I looked at her like seriously.. I didn't have to say anything, she saw my face and apologized. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have huge personal space issues.

My mom tried to touch my belly last night (first time I've seen her since we told her I was pregnant) and I got mad (not blow out mad, but just asked her not to) and she's my mom! I'm going to flip when others do it. I don't mind if the baby is kicking and you want to feel it (and you've asked), but just randomly touching me - it's not like the baby knows grandma or whoever is touching my stomach. 

My main issue right now is that right now you're just feeling my fat, bloated stomach. Maybe when it's bigger and more obvious I'll feel better.

• I am starting to think i'm weird... I LOVE PEOPLE TOUCHING MY PREGNANT BELLY!!!

Obviously right now it really isn't a big issue, but if someone wants to rub my roll, they can have fun.

When I was pregnant with my first daughter I worked in cosmetics in a department store. I had quite a few loyal customers (because that sounds nicer than 'old ladies') that I talked to every time they came in. I talked about my pregnancy with everyone, and announced when she was moving. My co-workers were my favorite. They would run across the aisles to feel a kick.

If someone wanted to touch my big baby bump I was all for it. Most people would just throw out a quick "Do you mind" when their hand was already on its way, but I never said no.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I just expressed to husband and MIL how much it would bother me if someone touched my belly and i think they spread the news for me. I didn't have any of his crazy aunts touch me. Only once did DHs Grandfather touch me and i just looked at him and he acted really awkward like "oops, forgot"

Then one of my mothers friends that I've known since i was in 3rd grade rubbed my belly and flat out told me "I don't care if you don't like it, pregnant bellies are fair game!"
  • the only people i let touch is my dh, mom and best friend!! but i am plus size so even at 10w you cant tell!! so i dont have random people coming up to me..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't mind if family/close friends touch the belly. It actually wasn't too much of a problem last time. I did have one "incident" though. I was at Gymboree with my mom when I was about 8 months along last time and we were checking out. The sales lady REACHED OVER THE COUNTER to try and rub my belly. I just backed away and looked at her like she was a kook (which clearly, she was). 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageUberBiz:

I REALLY really feel like I am ALWAYS the odd-one-out on a lot of posts lately, LoL, I honestly am ok with people rubbing the belly. I would love to rub other preg bellies, but I know most people find it incredibly rude. And hey, if you want to rub my bloated intestines and THINK it's baby? Fine by me, rub away! There's still a baby in there somewhere, so what the heck.

i've never really had a problem with it either unless it was someone i didn't care for then i would dodge the hand...  but i typically dont mind the belly rubs  :)

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was at a parade this weekend and had two women (who I did not know) walk up to me and pat me on the stomach.  They knew my husband but I had no idea who they were.  I was not too pleased about this & stood there speechless.  By the time I recovered from my shock they had moved on. 
  • Belly touching doesn't bother me at all. When I was pg with DS I never had a complete stranger walk up and try to touch my belly, even if they did I don't think I would really mind... as long as I was far enough along to be actual baby belly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Definitely not for strangers!  I think that is a huge invasion of my personal space bubble, and I am not a fan.  

Last time, no one was allowed to touch my belly unless I gave permission first, and that was after baby was bigger and starting to kick, etc. thus giving someone a reason to touch my belly and actually feel something in there.  Definitely not this early though!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't mind if family and friends touch the belly (though right now I do tell them it's just bloat).  I don't want strangers to touch my belly, but I kind of put off a b!tchy vibe anyway so maybe they'll stay away.  Ha!  
    imageimage
    TTC #1 since May 2010. BFP #1 - 5/31/10; m/c on 7/22/10
    Started seeing RE in August 2011
    5 IUIs: BFN; IVF #1 - Success! BFP - 7/25/12 Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I didn't really have any problem with this in my first pregnancy and I haven't told very many people about this pregnancy yet.  I think one friend touched by belly last time when he was obliterated during his birthday celebration, but it was so funny that we all laughed at him.  I never had strangers touch me and I didn't mind when relatives did, although most asked first.  In my experience strangers mostly avoided looking at me entirely so that they wouldn't have to give up their seat on the train or bus :)
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I hate to be touched. So naturally im going to hate it if someone tries. I did see a tshirt on pinterest that said, "yes im pregnant, im due in August, its a boy, and NO you can't touch my belly" im seriously considering having like 10 of these made and wearing them everyday!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think it's weird, I would never touch someone else's belly! I hope I don't get to weirded out, because I'm sure it's inevitable.

Married 8-02-08

After 3 years TTC with PCOS and two losses Olivia Nikelle was born 4-08-13

TTC #2 Since August 2014

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I don't think it's at all weird to want to touch a pregnant belly or to want your belly touched. Personally, I would not really feel comfortable with people I don't know touching me, but a couple of my friends have rubbed the tiny baby bump, as well as a few of my students.

The biggest issue is ASKING. Like, what is wrong with people that they would just touch someone without getting consent first. Is it so hard to say, "hey, could I touch your belly?" before reaching in? That way, no hard feelings. If she minds, you find out before anyone is made uncomfortable, and if not, then it's a more rewarding experience all around.

Contrary to popular belief, being pregnant does not make your body public property. 

image image imageimage
  • Strangers:  No way.  My personal space bubble is waaaaay too big for that.  i remember when i used to have very long hair and complete strangers would come up to me at start touching it.  Um...do i know you? 

As for family/friends:  meh.  i'm not a touchy person.  And i know it used to bother me immensely when a coworker used to come up to me, rub my belly and ask if there's a baby in there yet (as an infertile i really, really loved that.  So awesome).  My family's not real touchy either and i can't see any of them rushing up to me to rub my belly.

i'm also probably the only person around these boards that finds pregnant women who rub their own bellies all the time fairly irritating.

• A friend of mine had a shirt that said "If you touch my belly, I will punch you in the face." I thought it was AWESOME.

I am completely cool with people touching my belly, unless it's weird strangers. Fellow moms/grandmas (it always seems to be elderly women with me...) are fine, but if you're a dude and I don't know you, get the eff away from me.

~Lauryn Marette
    Mommy of 3 Angel Babies and one on the way!
    #1 m/c on 7/11/11 at 5w3d
    #2 m/c on 10/6/11 at 10w5d
    #3 m/c on 6/13/12 at 4w0d
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think it's awkward when anybody touches my belly.  I like my personal space, and it bothers me but I don't think I'd have the guts to say anything.
    Young and in Love.
    11.07.09 <3<BR> From Hightops to Flatlands: My Blog
    BabyFruit Ticker Labor Buddies! TheSinger & Jennery!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"